Pintle vs Lock&Roll vs Max Coupler

SwampfoxSC

Observer
I see a lot of people using way to big of a pintle. And those dual purpose ball/pintle hitches. That will give you a whole lot of slack to bang around. I got a good bit of experience at work with different sizes. From massive 25 ton hitches on our line trucks. To small 2.5ton on some of our small generator trailers. You should not be using anything bigger than 5000# on a m416. It has a nice cradle affect to hold the lunette in place. And if it balanced right it will greatly reduce the banging and slop. But of course you will never be able to eliminate all play. Gonna have to try that radiator hose trick. I also have wondered if LineX or equivilant to the most of the circumference. Would help absorb noise. Just leaving the bottom load bearing area bare.

waterboy222

Adventurer
Has anyone had any experience with the pintle hitches that use a 2" ball? A landscaper buddy of mine said they were quieter than a regular pintle but he thought it might limit rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskyrunnr

Thx for the Grainger suggestion swampfox. I ended up importing a Dixon Bate. Spendy, but a multi-axis coupler would have cost me as much since I'd have to hire out the welding on my trailer. I'm just not yet ready to sell off the woodshop and try to learn welding.

I think you're right about a proper fitting pintle hook. Mine fit the lunette closely without binding and whatever slop is there is not noticeable enough to bother me. But I've never tried one of the multi-axis couplers either.

I like your handle. My ancestors were under Robeson, just a bit north.

SnowLizard

Thread bump....

The pictures of the failed LNR look like their old design (last pic from 2013), any one have anything to say on the new design? I'm looking at one because of the easy backup, but the also offer in various tongue lengths.

Above, and the fact that I don't have to figure the hitch height differently like the MC.

silvrzuki77

explorer
I bought one in 2012 and than another one in 2014 both for different trailers. I have had zero issues with either one. I can unhook and re hook in any situation. Huge thumbs up! [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IM1RU

Observer
I also have a lock n roll hitch. Very easy to deal with (hitch and unhitch). Stout as hell, and no issues at all.

fifty

Adventurer
I don't mean to cross post, but this might get better traffic.

Is the max coupler the way to go on a m101a2 that the pintle has been cut off and replaced with a 2 inch receiver?

And with a suburban pulling it, the 6k vs 12k?

SnowLizard

I went ahead and ordered the 15inch trailer side and 0 inch height differnce truck side... hope to have it soon, new trailer frame should be done/ready next week.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible
The reason I went with Max coupler was at the time, I was able to get three keyed alike hitch pins. L&R hitch pin was smaller and I liked being able to lock my trailer to my truck.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Thread bump....

The pictures of the failed LNR look like their old design (last pic from 2013), any one have anything to say on the new design? I'm looking at one because of the easy backup, but the also offer in various tongue lengths.

Above, and the fact that I don't have to figure the hitch height differently like the MC.

The design changes might take care of the problem that I had (see pictures I posted). I suspect that they have just moved the design flaw to occur in a different combination of binding of the hitch. However, the crappy attitude of the owners will keep me away from the products they don't stand behind. How many hitch units had to fail and be replaced by the owner before Lock N Roll redesigned the hitch?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3