y8umyqe5.jpg
ge7e9a5y.jpg

y5apetez.jpg
a8e6adyb.jpg
ezavyvu6.jpg

Last edited:

Xbcasey

Adventurer
I almost never need to haul two people in the back of my jeep, but sometimes need to carry one and my small dog. The stock back seat takes up most of the storage space and doesn't really give the passenger much leg room. I took this seat out of a Mitsubishi Montero and built my own bracket to mount it to the jeep fender well, it bolts down to the stock seat mounts on the right side and through to top of the wheel well to a backing plate. The seat is much thinner than the stock one so even though I mounted it a little farther back for leg room, I didn't really lose much space behind it and gained all the storage to the side. Then I built the platform for the dog med to go on, it also bolts to the stock seat mounts and is just big enough for my ice chest to fit underneath. Both fold up out of the way so that I don't have to remove anything or plan ahead when I want to carry something large in the back. If I ever need to put two people in the back, I can unbolt this setup and bolt the stock seat quick release mounts right back in.
u7eqy3uj.jpg
hydyqy9e.jpg

Then I got tired of dealing with my soft top back window so I copied Jsherb and built a barn door setup
tera8yga.jpg
hu2yne4e.jpg

Xbcasey

Adventurer
It's an inner and outer frame that fit inside each other. The outer frame is held to the jeep with two bolts, and the zipper. The inner frame is attached to the tailgate with four bolts and the window is held to each with about five million 1/4x20 bolts and retainer strips. The back window and frame can still be removed when you want to drive with the windows out, but the top can't be folded down with the outer frame still zipped in. That's not a big deal to me because I usually take the side windows out to get the airflow and leave the top up for shade anyways. I did score another back window on Craigslist so that I could use it like normal if I want to, I doubt it will see much use though. It's amazing how nice it is to open the tire carrier, tailgate and back window with nothing more than a pull of the stock tailgate handle!
tu7udyna.jpg
ze7e3unu.jpg
ysuzavy8.jpg

squint

Adventurer
It's an inner and outer frame that fit inside each other. The outer frame is held to the jeep with two bolts, and the zipper. The inner frame is attached to the tailgate with four bolts and the window is held to each with about five million 1/4x20 bolts and retainer strips. The back window and frame can still be removed when you want to drive with the windows out, but the top can't be folded down with the outer frame still zipped in. That's not a big deal to me because I usually take the side windows out to get the airflow and leave the top up for shade anyways. I did score another back window on Craigslist so that I could use it like normal if I want to, I doubt it will see much use though. It's amazing how nice it is to open the tire carrier, tailgate and back window with nothing more than a pull of the stock tailgate handle!

Very cool. The old FJ40s had an option at some point for soft ambulance doors- same concept. I have been playing around with the idea of doing the same thing for the rear seat and couldn't decide between a fold and tumble or a troop seat. Yours is a combo which is brilliant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater