Post Pic's of your Jeep

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
xj_mike said:
As I found out, his avatar picture is going up that face under its own power, not on the winch like I thought.
Yeah, and the camera is only tilted 30°. Looks like a pretty standard climb on Hell's Revenge or Fins 'n' Things. Correct me if I'm wrong.

-----Matt-----

ExpoMike

IXNAYXJ said:
Yeah, and the camera is only tilted 30°. Looks like a pretty standard climb on Hell's Revenge or Fins 'n' Things. Correct me if I'm wrong.

-----Matt-----

I am awaiting the full pictures but I was told by James it was called, the Launching Pad. He and his buddy that rode with him said it was nutty crazy.

wjtoy

Here's my '00 WJ Limited....

2.5" Lift , MX-6 shocks, General Grabber AT2 tires, Tom Woods DS, roof rack in the works......

2373874109_831f28d090.jpg

2374712476_70ae49a2fe.jpg

heres my 2 TJ's. Each being built for a different purpose.
img265pg9.jpg

The white TJ is my DD/expo rig while the Red TJ is being built for crawling/drag racing/rock racing.

The red TJ will have a 427 stroker sbc w/Edelbrock EFI, GM Fast burn heads and a 150 shot of nitrous. Should be good for 600hp minimum. Backing that up will be a built 700r4, Atlas 4 speed t-case, hp60 front and 14bolt rear w/ 4.10's, arbs, and disk brakes. Its will have a race spec roll cage, factory looking dash with Autometer gauges, custom suspension with 16" SAW coilovers front and rear with hyd. bump stops, sitting on 39-42" tires... The list goes on and on. Its a long period buildup since im in college right now. I have 60% of the parts for it right now, just saving up the the short block and t-case now.

IXNAYXJ

Adventurer
xj_mike said:
I am awaiting the full pictures but I was told by James it was called, the Launching Pad. He and his buddy that rode with him said it was nutty crazy.
Yeah, that is Launch Pad. It's on Golden Spike, but it's not nutty or crazy. Here's a video of a stock Xterra walking up it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=DEdCtFEpy54&feature=related

Steep yes, but not nearly as much as in the avatar. Here's a pic to show how it is in real life:

launch%20pad%20disco.jpg

-----Matt-----

computeruser

Explorer
Bongo Boy said:
Opinion.

Folks put some pretty weird stuff on their rigs, and I'm not excluding myself from that group. Stuff that looks great, and conveys the image of 'overland' or 'expedition' or whatever.

But your own personal experience, limited or otherwise, needs to come into play when outfitting a rig. Now, my experience is extremely limited. Compared to other members here who have travelled thousands of miles into remote areas of the world, I know exactly jack squat.

But...this is the internet, and I have an opinion. Many opinions, actually.

The TJ is a little, tiny vehicle with a fairly low fuel capacity relative to fuel consumption. Uh, I think that means 'short range'. It don't go too far. So, you can put a $1,000 fuel tank in to increase range by about 25% or so, or you can hang IEDs off the back (jerry cans) to get about the same increase. Ugly, but effective, I guess.

But to me, outfitting the TJ for expedition has got to be a real art, and what I don't see is much artistry. I see cargo trays up on the top--with never any means of accessing that tray by any means I can imagine. I see all kinds of crap loaded out on the back--but no comments about how much those racks vibrate on trail, nor any comment about how long those racks last under those conditions.

I see a lot of 'display' gear. As a person in above-average fitness but over 50 years old--have you ever tried to get an 85 lb spare tire down off the top of a vehicle? Have you actually DONE this? I'm almost one year out now from a finger injury from getting my spare off the back of the rig...not even off the top. The finger still hurts!

I'm ramlbing and don't know how to recover. I see a lot of crap on TJs, and to me it doesn't seem well thought out, very efficient, nor very practical. It looks good, but that's about it. I think it's a tough rig to make into much more than a short range plaything, and I'd be very, very interested in the views of folks who feel they've succeeded in making it more than that. I love my TJ Rubicon, but its limited space has to be used very efficiently, and I don't want to unload 1000 lbs of crap to get to my toolbox, if you get my meaning.

I think, in general, the Wrangler community may spend more time selecting D-ring color than figuring out what's needed to repair a tire. Bringing the discipline and pain of expedition to the short-wheelbase community may be quite a learning experience for everyone.

Good post. These sentiments have been echoed by a number of folks when comparing ExPo to other Jeep-related sites. The stuff that interests many of us and the priorities that we have in outfitting a vehicle are decidedly different from the offroad park guys, as well they should be.

jh504

Explorer
100_3862.jpg

Sold my 87 wrangler a couple of months ago. I loved the wrangler but the room I have in my XJ makes up for it. Im sure that wranglers could be built into a very efficient expedition vehicle it just takes a little more doing than most, and a nice trailer wouldnt hurt either.

Trail Monkey

Adventurer, Overland Certified OC0014
Not sure what the avatar rant was all about. But i changed it for those concerned. Yes it was launching pad and yes it was an unmodified photo. Yes i suppose the camera was tilted some. But i was in the truck not behind the camera. FYI the launch pad photo a few posts ago appears to be titled in the other direction IMO.. back to the purpose of this thread..!

OKRCON

Looks like a solid setup for long trips in an LJ. I don't think I have seen that rack before. Looks like a good one.

glensnea

It does work out but can be a little cramped with 4 people and stuff for 4 people.

The rack is a Kargo Mast and the top portion is something I am making with an ATV ramp. There are a few folks on this site and some others that used the ATV ramp idea and I am going from there ideas. I could not find a rack that I liked and spent a lot of time thinking about it, so I figured I would just create my own.

jg45

cybercat said:
2007 White Rim Gooseberry Campground
Hey, I camped in that exact same location back in Sept. 2002. It was a bast with the rainstorm that came through with the rain going sideways, bikini topped TJ, and a lack of tent poles (accidentally left at the Farabees:oops:). I think that little tree has grown and inch since then.

And here is a pic of my rig from the Land Between the Lakes Jeep Jamboree a few years ago.
CR___387.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online