Post up pictures of your in-vehicle digs...

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
For those of you who have your living/sleeping arrangements inside your trucks, post up some pictures. I'm looking for new ideas/inspiration.

I've got a bed setup in the back of my 80 currently that is dictated more by the need for me to put things like bikes, kayaks, and canoes on the roof more then anything. I'm trying to keep the setup as flexible as possible but my challenge is now becoming having efficient space with two people versus one.

Also, any in cap sleeping platforms would be appreciated as well as I am planning on building something for my Tundra and would like to see some succesful designs that you guys might have come up with.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
My set-up in both the Suburban and the yota are pretty simple.
In the yota I put down a piece of 1/4" outdoor plywood painted with rustoleum, then indoor/outdoor carpet from one of the home stores loose on top of that. Loose so that I can fold it back out of the way if I need to transport something greasy. Last plywood piece wasn't painted and had to be replaced due to it's soaking up some gear lube. I value headroom and even with a tall shell I can just barely kneel inside, so any sort of platform is not appealing.
The shell does have a 12VDC fluorescent light stuck on with 5200 to just about the exact middle. It should have been a little further to the rear for easier outside access. I have read with this light. Repeat heavy stuff (tool box, water jug) have dedicated straps. No elastics anywhere.
The Sub has so much room that I just rearrange things inside. In both trucks I use a thermarest when one my own. Am experimenting with air mattress' when my GF comes along.
I have considered building something sort of like those old slide-in "camper" things sold for the beds of trucks with shells. Wouldn't have a raised area between the fenderwells, but would have storage along the sides.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Details Here

2000236341682356995_rs.jpg

2000218308619238667_rs.jpg

2000290256805556159_rs.jpg

4wd Vanny

This is what I have. 3/4" sanded plywood. It's about 85% complete. Both front and back sections can be removed so the seats can go back in. I never use the back bench seat so the back section will polly always stay in the van. But then, when I want to transport more then just the wife and the dog, I can put the swivel captains chairs in.

RearDrawer094.jpg

RearDrawer091.jpg

RearDrawer086.jpg

RearDrawer087.jpg

theMec

Adventurer
4wd vanny, that's quite an ingenious setup. What kind of van do you have? I have a friend that needs to do that to his van. Thanks. (Please fill out your sig.)

4wd Vanny

It's a '87 Toyota Van LE. I use the van for camping. I stole alot of ideas from here and on mud. I needed a winter project and this was it. Polly shouldn't of taken this long to build but without a garage you just can't get too much done in the snow and ice.

outdoordrea

98% finished

Here's my (almost) finished sleeping platform that I built. The tops of the lids and middle sections have carpet padding underneath the carpet. I still need to secure the lids to the boxes, and add bottoms to the boxes so loose things won't escape.

the dude

Adventurer
Our sleeping/storage arrangement in the back of the cruiser:

third battery and electronics hidden on the left side of the drawers with recovery gear hidden on the right side. Tools and kitchen supply in the drawers with lots of room under the front half for storage that is access from the rear doors on the truck

DSC01686.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Already posted here:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12803

Carpet kit was purchased off Craigslist for $50. Not in great shape, though (some of the storage compartment lids are coming off and the carpet is stained and torn) but for $50 it wasn't a bad deal. Eventually I'll build something better but this works for now. The shell is also a craigslist special, got it for $150 because the back window was shattered. New one cost $215 but I got $150 for the cross bed toolbox that was in the truck when I got it so the $215 was my only net cost. It's alright but I really want a high-rise shell.

KMR

Adventurer
the dude said:
Our sleeping/storage arrangement in the back of the cruiser:
Hey Brad,
Welcome! Nice to see Marmaduke over here on Portal as well.
The drawers look nice all finished off.

And, so I can feel like I contributed, a pic of our current "digs":

Wonkinator

We have an SUV Tent to hook onto the back of our FJ and built this sleeping platform. It's two pieces. One goes behind the backseats and holds two drawers. Then with the backseats out, the second piece fits in between the front seats and the rear platform. Then...when the front seats are pushed forward, another piece folds over to extend the sleeping space.

Works great for the two of us (and our choco lab).

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Some great designs on here. Thanks to all that contributed. I'm definately looking to borrow some ideas for the design for my Tundra. Kevin, are both of you able to sleep side by side in your 60 with the fridge there?

Here's a not so great shot of the rear of my 80 and my setup. I built the bed for accomodating just me with room underneath for gear stowed in soft bags plus my tool boxes and food.
attachment.php

KMR

Adventurer
Hey Kristian,
The fridge is a pain, but it is a good compromise.
When we sleep in the head forward position (with front bins in, no back seat) the fridge is hardly noticeable. The front bins where our shoulders rest are as wide as a queen size mattress so our feet point in to each others, but we have plenty of room.
With the back seat in, no front bins, we have to sleep in the head backward position, it gets a little tight, but if I stuff a bag in the rear fender-well there is still plenty of room to sleep without bothering each other.
Some more pics and info down the page here.
cheers,
Kevin R.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gotfuzz

Members online