Post up your drawer/storage system

FJLED

Adventurer
Here is my work in progress. Hoping to have it finished up and linex'd by the end of the month. Then on to the front half where I removed the rear seats.

Pics from a test fit the other day.

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0161.JPG

DSC_0165.JPG

DSC_0166.JPG

jay3253

Adventurer
I did this just last week with my father-n-law. I decided to replace one of my drawers with a kitchen but still have a lot of work to do on the whole thing. I am looking for legs for the kitchen because it can be pulled completely out and set up as a table. Will post more pictures when I get it worked out.

Drawer System

This thread inspired me to build this...

its not really a drawer but I found this storage container at home depot, its works pretty well. I havent decided what I'm gonna put inside it yet.. I am going to cover it in carpet, the other side of the box will hold my coleman 3 burner stove and some other stuff, and when I'm not out camping, it fits a pelican 1700 case for my rifle juuuuust barely. the nato fuel cans slip into the sides pretty well, I havet tried it with a full one, but I have water cans I plan on using there.. no fuel inside..

the sleep platform is removeable and hinged in the middle, so I can still use both the rear seats for my family. It is made of 3/4" plywood I had laying around. With the slight angle it has it is pretty comfortable without a pad. I plan on making a foam mattress that fits on it to help even more in that dept.

the whole setup has probably cost me about 40 bucks so far, and the biggest expense was the container. I only bought 1 sheet of 1/2" plywood for the top and bottom of the box, the rest is 3/4" I had left over from a previous project.

pics:
5cb04e69.jpg

b7094972.jpg

6efbf6f5.jpg

bca75a98.jpg

d1b41f45.jpg

eb13143d.jpg

5cfa2804.jpg

bd2b20b5.jpg

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Started on my storage/sleep platform in the XJ.

2010-08-15174833.jpg

Front access holes:

2010-08-15175123.jpg

Stuff the tools and spare driveshaft, axle shafts in the left rear compartment:

2010-08-15174842.jpg

OOPS!! Didn't make the compartment deep enough for the longside front axle shaft:snorkel:

"There!! I fixed it!!" Grabbed the 'Hole-Hog' drill and holesaw:

2010-08-15175105.jpg

The axle pokes into the front storage bin, but it's not in the way.

Going to carpet it, and throw a futon mattress on top.

Whole thing is removable, so I can still seat 4 when needed.

KLAKEBRONCO

Adventurer
Why not add tie downs, and pack things in bins, then strap the bins down??

Don't get me wrong, these set ups are nice too. But how are they better than just simple storage bins?

It can't be strictly for the ability to sleep on, because many are far to small to sleep on.

Why not add tie downs, and pack things in bins, then strap the bins down??

Don't get me wrong, these set ups are nice too. But how are they better than just simple storage bins?

It can't be strictly for the ability to sleep on, because many are far to small to sleep on.

I built mine for several reasons:

I dont have to unload everything in my runner to sleep back there.

To lengthen the sleeping area.

To have my dog in the back when i'm loaded up and on the move.

It keeps my valuables out of sight

I plan to have a basic load of tools and fluids at all time, and this allows me to still haul other things without having to move things around.

and I really just wanted to build something..:)

Hill Bill E.

Oath Keeper
Here is the one I built a few months ago for the jeep.

Very nice!! I want to carpet mine, but everyone was out of tan to match my XJ. I'll get it sooner or later, the futon mattress will cover it for now anyway.

Mine is mainly for sleeping on. It will be removed for normal DD, as I need the rear seats.

I may build a set up where I can still leave the back portion in, and use the seats.

I also do the same as 'thebrassnuckles' and carry spare axle shafts (2 front, 1 rear) and a spare driveshaft (fits front or rear) as well as a full set of tools.

It's nice to have these items secure, out of the way (face it, if you snap an axle, you're not going to be in a big hurry, so access isn't a big deal:))

And still have a nice flat loading area for hauling other items.

wipeout

What kind of carpet is that? and where did you get it?

I need to carpet my platform, and my whole runner..

It is regular automotive carpet from

http://www.yourautotrim.com/mediumsaddle1.html

I ordered two yards and that was more than adequate for the box and drawers. I still have a few large scraps that will work for carpeting a platform when I make the 60/40 split rear for the back. I was worried I wouldn't like the carpet but it is really very tough stuff. Granted if I hauled a lot of wet gear that might be different, but even hauling around my wet and muddy dog it all cleans up very nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater