Post up your drawer/storage system

theksmith

Explorer
Hi guys, I am mid build of my drawer system and I am in need of 36" drawer sliders. Does anyone have a good source of where to find 36" drawer slides (for cheaper than $150)? All of the internet searches I have done pull up slides that are in the $150 range...ouch. I was hoping to get two pairs of 36" slides for under $100...any help would be appreciated!

this do?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=46578&cat=3,43614,43616&ap=1

if those aren't heavy duty enough, they have lots of others: http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?cat=3,43614&p=43616&ap=1

they where the cheapest place by far that i found my new accuride lock in/out slides... which i'm still amazed at how beefy they are!

Northman

Adventurer
This is my Chaos ... :sombrero:

5382137.jpg

5382139.jpg

5382140.jpg

5382141.jpg

5382142.jpg

5382143.jpg

5382144.jpg

5382145.jpg

5382147.jpg

5382148.jpg

bucketosudz

Explorer
Man, what is not to love in that setup Northman!! Brilliant.

Next Spring I will have the opportunity to get back into a 4x4 family hauler, I am seriously considering a Suburban build, yours is a true inspiration.

Northman

Adventurer
Thank you ! It's nothing special and it looks like a little Chaos , but it's okay for me . For Clothes and Food we have these Boxes :

5383203.jpg

Steve UK

Adventurer
Here is my storage, drawers are made by a British company mobilestoragesystems and the fridge is a Waeco.

picture.php

Steve

lowenbrau

Explorer
I began the drawer system for the mallwagon this week. I used a server tray for the fridge pullout and was within a couple inches of just sticking a pair of surplus filing cabinets back there for drawers but the headroom is already getting tight for the pups.

I have about 6 hours into it at this point.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Picture 001a.jpg
    Picture 001a.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 5,321
  • Picture 004a.jpg
    Picture 004a.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 5,418
Last edited:

theksmith

Explorer
finished my rear shelf system. the point is to allow me access to the spare tire and the old spare compartment easily when the jeep is loaded with camping gear without having to unload everything.

P1100109.JPG

loaded up with average daily-driver/trail-rig junk:

P1100117.JPG

the spare slides out when needed, and i store the spare face down so that the empty inside easily holds a small hand-bag that i got from Big-Lots full of spare parts:

P1100131.JPG

between the shelf/tire and back seats is more empty space that i plan to fill with spare axle shafts and spare fluids:

P1100127.JPG

then my favorite feature is a slide out table on lock-in/lock-out Accuride 18" ball bearing slides. it's oak veneer, finished with a stain to match the fake OEM wood in the jeep, with about 6 coats of polyeurothane, sanded in between in coats and steel wool on the last coat:

P1100111.JPG

matches pretty close:

P1100121.JPG

the enter thing is 3/4" birch plywood except for the shelf is 1/2" oak. there is aluminum angle on the front, middle, and back to help keep the top from bowing hopefully. there is also aluminum angle on the bottoms to use for mounting. i mounted it with a bunch of large self-drilling sheet metal screws.

P1090805.JPG

the Acurride slides are awesome, perfect motion and quiet, and they lock in and out with the little thumb levers on each side. the 3/4" plywood i think will be sufficiently rugged.

my only regrets thus far are that i used Rust-Oleum bedliner in a spray can, it's a decent finish, but not nearly as nice as something like Raptor-Liner from what i've seen pics of. i wish i'd gone with that and tooken the time to fill all the little screw holes and what not before lining it as i thought they would just fill in with the liner more but didn't.

other issue is the 1/2" shelf is warped a little, should have used 3/4" for that as well.

also, make sure you account for the compression of the carpet and padding when you screw everything down if you do something like this. i didn't and therefore my tire just barely, i mean barely fits! in the end that's good as now i don't have to wedge anything in there to keep it from bouncing inside the shelf, but it could have been a bad miscalculation if i were cutting my tolerances closer!

Abitibi

Explorer
Mitsubishi Delica drawer system

This is what I built on my previous truck, a '91 Mitsubishi Delica.

I wanted storage, kitchen and sleeping set up without loosing any of the 7 seats or the ability to fold the rear bench. These pictures show what I came up with.

It's constructed using 1/2" plywood so fairly light but plenty strong. I also removed some of the non-structural material to lighten the unit. At the end the entire unit could easily be moved by a single person. I didn't want to loose storage space so didn't use the typical sliding rails. Instead I made some 1/16" hardwood tracks that the drawers slide on. I just coat them with wax and they work great. The bottom right drawer has a removable plastic sink, storage for cooking utensils and the stove. There's an opening at the front of the drawer to run my propane cable. The 5lbs tank is hidden to the right of the drawer.

In the upper right drawer it's mostly cooking pans, plates, bowls... That drawer is shorter as it bumps against the back bench while the bottom one slide underneath.

The left drawer is shallow at the back but full height at the front so I have enough room to have a long axe, recovery and safety gears... I can even put two wvo cubies in there!

On top there's a storage box that while opening creates an extra shelf, great while cooking. I can also move that box to the front to support the bed (between rear bench and captain chairs). It's narrow enough that I can push it to the right and have leg room while sitting in the captain chair facing backward. It also leaves enough room to have the captain chairs facing forwards with leg room.

Finally I made a foldable bed platform that stores to the right of the captain chair and doesn't obstruct the air vent. If I don't use the storage box to support the bed I simply use my cooler that has the right height. The bed has the same width as a fat Thermarest and works great. I can keep the back rest of the rear bench up and still have 6'3" of sleeping room. With the back down then the captain chairs can both face back and a second platform can be added to have room for 2 adults way taller than me...

I've been using this system on my return trip across Canada and this weekend while camping and I would not go back to my old way! It's been working awesome. It's really nice not to have to search for anything, it all has it's place. The system is also secured as it is locked under the rear bench and can also be further secured with the existing rear bench nuts. As for the storage box I secure it for the moment with a tensioner belt.

Thanks again for all the previous inspiration from Expo!

Cheers,
Mr. D

Attachments

• Cooking in style.jpg
    Cooking in style.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,014
  • Drawer system.jpg
    Drawer system.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 839
  • Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 820
  • foldable single bed.jpg
    foldable single bed.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 866
  • Drawers frame.jpg
    Drawers frame.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 747
  • Back of unit.jpg
    Back of unit.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 632

lowenbrau

Explorer
I built the drawers and added one of those tie down rails to the top. Will probably run across the back as well. I'm going to use the system-is for a while and will work out a any bugs when I add the aux battery and water tank in the spring.

Picture%20006.jpg

Picture%20009.jpg

Picture%20011.jpg

Picture%20013.jpg

Picture%20001.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues