Post up your drawer/storage system

mogwildRW1

Adventurer
Originally a fire-rescue vehicle. The 5t Werner winch is rated for lifting, as well as holding a load (like a turned over car)

It would have also had a generator on the rear slide out on the drivers side (which holds my cooler just perfect), and the jaws of life (German version) rescue spreader/cutter on the middle slide out.

Also would have had spill kits, hazmat suits, snatch blocks, stretchers, Pneumatic lifting bags, gas powered metal cutting saw, prop rods for holding up turned over cars, chain saw, crowbars, axe's, shovels, sledhammer, bolt cutters, crowbars, chock blocks (still in there) fire extinguisher (holder still there) and oxygen bottles (holders are still there)

I'm slowly outfitting it for recovery operations (self recovery, I hate being stuck :) ) But I've only filled a few of the drawers so far :Wow1:

I have two snatch blocks so I can winch from the front or back, and the winch has 55meters of cable (180 feet)

EDIT:

Here's some pictures of one that is full of equipment

Attachments

• rw1_4g.jpg
    rw1_4g.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 691
  • rw1_5g.jpg
    rw1_5g.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 621
  • rw1_6g.jpg
    rw1_6g.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 587
  • rw1_7g.jpg
    rw1_7g.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:

Chazz Layne

Administrator
At the action end of the drawers, I fitted a rotating goose neck water outlet. The tank has a pump in it so we have water on tap!

water1.jpg

Very nice indeed! I love the faucet, where did you find it?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I'm slowly outfitting it for recovery operations (self recovery, I hate being stuck :) ) But I've only filled a few of the drawers so far :Wow1:
Heck combine several of those cubbies into one big one and throw a nice flat screen TV in it.:sombrero:

Not sure if they showed it elsewhere but when the 49ers & Steve Young were doing well, they had a series of Toyota commercials with him camping with his Toy Tacoma pickup. He'd bring a full living room while another guy was camping out of his backpack eating canned foods. Pretty hilarious.

SilverBullet

Explorer
Excellent ideas in this thread! What is the minimum drawer depth that is useful?
When I measured my first set of drawers, I used the height of an oil quart (so it could lay on it's side). Next time, I want to go to a coolant bottle on it's skinny side of I can make it work, but my next drawer will onclude a tire slde in the bottom.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Excellent ideas in this thread! What is the minimum drawer depth that is useful?

Depends. I think the depth of a tool drawer such as a craftsman rolling tool check is about the minimum. I personally would like a drawer that is about 4" deep, but most MFR's of prefab drawer units limit the minimum depth to 8" or taller.

tody009

i have to agree im building a drawer system for the back of my grand cherokee and i only want it about 7" tall because its only going to be used for recovery gear and tools. all my camping stuff and whatnot will go above in gear bags and whatnot. :beer:

sasaholic

Adventurer
only thing about that is when ur sleeping and its raining out youll want ur gear stowed away. lucky for u you can just throw it on the front seat, but for those of us with canopy's that doesnt work that well

southpier

Expedition Leader
Nice drawer. But that sure is a lot of money (+ ship) for one small drawer...

amazon 305$ includes free shipping.

price: hardware, wood, paint

add: your time

= real cost

most guys figure anything they build is "free labor" and assign no dollar value to it. i figure i can work 6 hours and walk away with a professionally build piece of kit which will yield a far superior (carpenter for 40 years) result to something which i would build and have to constantly tinker with to keep in tune. YMMV

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
amazon 305$ includes free shipping.

price: hardware, wood, paint

add: your time

= real cost

most guys figure anything they build is "free labor" and assign no dollar value to it. i figure i can work 6 hours and walk away with a professionally build piece of kit which will yield a far superior (carpenter for 40 years) result to something which i would build and have to constantly tinker with to keep in tune. YMMV

Some consider the building and tinkering part of the fun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333