Post up your drawer/storage system

lowenbrau

Explorer

Me too but I keep trying to be sensible about buying the things that are available and saving the custom projects for things that are not.

Shrug, there is something to be said for being able to look at a mod and know that you made it yourself.

Slee's new drawers sure look sexy though.

PsychoBurb

Observer
Been lurking around here a while now. Glad I found this sight, as it seems geared (no pun intended) toward the exact way I want to outfit my latest project. No one particular discipline, just having some fun on trails, seeing some beautiful country, and meeting some good people.

Just getting the drivetrain rebuild wrapped up on my recently acquired '85 K20 burb. Looking like she'll be ready for a few trips this spring. Mainly wanted it for hunting and fishing trips, but the wife (not a real outdoorsy type) seems very interested in doing some extended trips and trail riding in it. Score one for me!

Here is a concept drawing of the storage system I am planning to build. Sorry about the quality, not easy getting jpeg's from sketchup. Not that I've learned anyway.

IMG_5075.jpg

IMG_5074.jpg

IMG_5073.jpg

IMG_5072.jpg

IMG_5071.jpg

The board that's kinda hanging out in nowhere land will be the extension to provide sleeping area.

The middle drawer will be outfitted with secure racks to hold rifles on hunting trips.

Will be doing a swing-away rack on back for a fullsize spare, fuel/water cans, etc.. Also will likely get a custom roof rack at some point as well.

Of course, it's a concept, final dimensons/design will almost surely differ at least some.

Jay

BirfMark

Observer
Sorry about the quality, not easy getting jpeg's from sketchup. Not that I've learned anyway.

Very cool looking design! Are the red areas for subwoofers?

You can grab a screenshot of Sketchup by hitting the PrtScn button on your keyboard, then opening up an image editing software (like Paint or Irfanview) and hitting CTRL+V to paste.

Alternatively, since you're running Windows 7, you can use the Snipping Tool. Just type "Snipping Tool" in the search box under the Windows icon in the lower left corner. :)

klaykrusher

Started work on my storage system. Main idea is to eliminate all the extra totes and ratchet straps to hold them that I carry and have a smooth bunk should I decide to sleep in the Jeep on a stormy evening. I didn't think I would need drawers, just more weight, so I sized it for a couple long totes and that also leaves an area for spare parts, tools, etc. I like the idea of the tote for keeping dust out and containing any fluid spills. It also eliminates the need for expensive drawer slides or other type of sliding mechanism, material. Want to keep it simple, should I decide to modify it down the road.

Took the bottom carpet out. Used the rear seatbelt bolt to hold the base down. I also worked around the rear seat mounts on the sides. Don't lose much space and they also provide excellent tie down spots should I need them.

P1020848.JPG

Used my Kreg Jig to drill pocket holes to attach the sides to the base. Best tool I ever bought for working with cabinetry.

P1020856.JPG

Here you can see the pocket holes and side attached.

P1020857.JPG

Cut the tops. This was a pain. I would of preferred to have some nice curves following the wheel wells, but my skills only go so far. Hahaha. This is cool though, depending on whether I go with carpet or paint, it will be fine.

P1020861.JPG

The top piece by the tailgate will get permanently attached and the front section will be able to be raised. Still have to figure out the hinge issue though. I may split the front down the middle to make it easier to lift from each side or I may add a strut or two, we'll see.

P1020863.JPG

I was thinking about ways to add a tray to the tailgate. Finally came up with this. It's a GSI small aluminum table. I just added a couple of L-brackets so they would slide into the current vent openings and then extend the legs of the table for support. I added a couple of small rubber bumpers to level it out. I'm not looking to have it hold a ton of weight, and I wanted it to be multi-purpose, use the table off the door. I think this fits the bill. It easily stows away for the ride.

P1020888.JPG

P1020889.JPG

P1020891.JPG

P1020881.JPG

P1020892.JPG

Also added the removable brackets, just have to find some plywood. This gives me a full 6' sleeping area with the passenger seat pushed forward.

P1020896.JPG

My homemade hinges...hahaha Since the top back in currently screwed down, these keep the from front top centered and hold it in place. Just have to add a latch to the front.

P1020899.JPG

Can't see it, but the top is held up by a bungee wrapped around the roll bar and eye hook on the top.

P1020898.JPG

Definitely a work in progress. It's been a fun adventure though...

boozewz

Observer
Here's a few shots of my home made drawer build, which was done by a carpenter who built a cabinet for my cousin's home. I cant build anything to save my life, and so he did it, at a fraction of what it would have cost to do it myself...Its installed on my 76 series LC.

The base, plus some rubber coating
IMG01021-20110120-1429-1.jpg

Cutting up the rubber cover to be flush with the base board
IMG01023-20110120-1430.jpg

Installed the base
IMG01025-20110120-1444.jpg

The finished product
IMG01072-20110204-1304.jpg

The drop down table
IMG01077-20110204-1307.jpg

It took a while to figure out how to secure the table, but we finally settled on these buckles
IMG01086-20110209-1231.jpg

Not the cleanest of all builds, but fully functional
IMG01088-20110209-1231.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: WVI

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I really like your table setup. I'm doing dual tables on the dutch doors of my van and had planned to use captured thumbscrews or the like to retain them in the stowed position. Now I'm thinking those latches look pretty darned good.

Is the "back" of the table setup just a wood board milled to fit the recess in the door? That's the only hangup on mine is that my interior door surfaces are curved (and also include speakers and grilles), so I'm having to be creative to figure out how to mount everything.

boozewz

Observer
Hey Herbie thanks for the kind comments

Ya the back board is a wooden board, which is drilled into the rear door with 4small screws. It holds pretty tight. The only thing behind it are the rear window wiper tubes, which if ever need to be serviced, we can just unscrew the board out and have a look inside.

My next step is to find a secure lock/latch for the drawers itself, as I am not happy with the current flimsy latch. Any suggestions?

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
My next step is to find a secure lock/latch for the drawers itself, as I am not happy with the current flimsy latch. Any suggestions?

I like the "Type B" Turn-to-Open latches that McMaster has:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#turn-to-open-latches/=aynmh8
(Part # 1248A11 for example)

I saw something like these used as cabinet latches on another Expo vehicle last summer, and I thought they were pretty awesome. I particularly like that they push flush when not needed, then pop-up when you need to open.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk