Post up your drawer/storage system

Hawkeye

Observer
I totally agree. But because the sliders do not separate, the drawers need to be constructed in place. This would have made it difficult to attach the drawer bottom from the sides for the entire length since the slides are 32" drawer does not extend 100%. (something I might have planned for if I only had known the slides didn't separate). I tried to compensate for this with the front and rear of the drawers as those attach to the bottom of the drawer from the sides (if that makes sense).

I think I understand your reasoning. The trick with this type of drawer slide is to pre-build the drawer to the correct size and then just screw it in to the correct place. This allows for the dadoed/inside drawer bottom. Or the other solution is to order a fully engineered kit that is ready to assemble w/ instructions ;)

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Or the other solution is to order a fully engineered kit that is ready to assemble w/ instructions ;)

Yeah, I hear there's some guy who makes real nice drawers at real good prices. :sombrero:

If I factored in how much time I spent (I imagine around 25 hours or more in the construction, not including the planning) I'm thinking I would have been way ahead just ordering your kit. Not to mention, I'm sure the finished product would have been superior. Thanks for all the ideas - I owe you a beer.

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Yeah, I hear there's some guy who makes real nice drawers at real good prices. :sombrero:

If I factored in how much time I spent (I imagine around 25 hours or more in the construction, not including the planning) I'm thinking I would have been way ahead just ordering your kit. Not to mention, I'm sure the finished product would have been superior. Thanks for all the ideas - I owe you a beer.

I hear you on the amount of time it takes to build almost anything! I have a set of Warfield Off-road drawers mentioned above and they look and work great. The website is: http://www.warfieldoffroad.com/

Good guy to work with also.

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 575

wandererr

Adventurer
Great thread and some great designs. Eah time I turned a page my concept morphed. I think I know what I'll end up building but first I wanna work out some design details.

Anyways, I'm wondering about couple things:
1. Seens most designs use plywood rather then aluminum or some other lightweight material. I know the storage systems aren't that heavy BUT every little bit adds up. Would the plywood usage be primary because it's easier to work with then aluminum?
2. Water issues? To all those that are using plywood: have you ran into problems with water? While I don't plan to take my rig for a swim on purpose, twice in last 6 months I was hood deep in water. After one of those 'adventures' I had to dump the floor carpet as even though I had two shop fans (huge sob's) running inside of my rig with windows open for a week I couldn't get the stench out of the carpet..... so I'm wondering if the plywood wouldn't suck up the water should the rig end up getting wet and then start expanding/separating?

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
Plywood is relatively cheap, readily available, and very easy to work with even if you only have basic tools.

I'm a little concerned about water. Not from being submerged, but more from melted snow off of clothing/boots/equipment. I definitely wouldn't go with MDF or OSB as I think they are far more susceptible to water damage. You could always coat it with a urethane or paint it to slow the water absorbing.

I'm not sure aluminum would be a whole lot lighter. Weight wouldn't be a leading factor if I were to choose metal. But an aluminum system would have some advantages, for sure. I think design has as much a bearing on weight as material.

wjeeper

Great thread and some great designs. Eah time I turned a page my concept morphed. I think I know what I'll end up building but first I wanna work out some design details.

Anyways, I'm wondering about couple things:
1. Seens most designs use plywood rather then aluminum or some other lightweight material. I know the storage systems aren't that heavy BUT every little bit adds up. Would the plywood usage be primary because it's easier to work with then aluminum? Plywood was much easier to work with for me. 99% of us dont have a TIG welder, sheet metal brake and equipment to build an aluminum box. )All I used to build mine was a palm sander, cordless drill, cordless circular saw ans strait edge: pretty standard for most home owners) Plus I care to venture an aluminum unit would rattle a bit
2. Water issues? To all those that are using plywood: have you ran into problems with water? While I don't plan to take my rig for a swim on purpose, twice in last 6 months I was hood deep in water. After one of those 'adventures' I had to dump the floor carpet as even though I had two shop fans (huge sob's) running inside of my rig with windows open for a week I couldn't get the stench out of the carpet..... so I'm wondering if the plywood wouldn't suck up the water should the rig end up getting wet and then start expanding/separating? I had mine coated in bedliner. I have always been disappointed in DIY liners (on my last Jeep it was the biggest regret, most DIY bedliners suck) I paid a local bodyshop to spray it with "ultimate liner". It was nearly $200 but its totally sealed with 1/8" layer of liner. I would bet money you could use my drawer as a boat and it would not suffer any swelled ply, water issues, or stinky carpet. The wood is totally sealed from the elements and the carpet in the drawer is removable! (I installed the carpet to keep down rattling gear) It was expensive, but it gave the drawers a finished professional look, added to the durablility and sealed them from the elements
:coffee:
My $0.02

wjeeper

If I factored in how much time I spent (I imagine around 25 hours or more in the construction, not including the planning) I'm thinking I would have been way ahead just ordering your kit.

True fact! I looked at the reciepts of my drawer set up and it is getting up there with solutions that adventure trailers offers:Wow1:

southpier

Expedition Leader
...1...plywood usage be primary because it's easier to work with then aluminum?

yes

2. .... so I'm wondering if the plywood wouldn't suck up the water should the rig end up getting wet and then start expanding/separating?

you can spend a few extra $$$ on marine grade playwood and epoxy coat the raw edges. this will take care of both occasional soakings and the life of the drawer which, despite our hope, is basically in an exterior environment

theindian

Observer
things im learning while building my draw system, the drawers layed out well and slides worked smooth, then i applied the finish paint and drawers herculiner, well now doesnt work so well, Im learning and adapting!

4x4v8

Observer
Some more of that ...

5382173.jpg

/QUOTE]

I love the idea of the work light mounted. Is it brighter than your regular back up lights? In the summer time I have to lock up gates and usually need someone to put the car in reverse to see anything. Any info would be great. Thanks!

stolenheron

Explorer
finally got around to rebuilding a platform for my dog. The dog couldn't ride in the back anymore which essentially limits me to 1 passenger or max 2 passengers total (big dogs need 2 seats haha). She is only 5 years old but has already been diagnosed with arthritis in 4 joints. she looks big but she runs 1-2miles with me a day, works birds and small game while hunting, and is tough as nails. Jumping in and out of the back seats of my D2 is awkward and my attempts at a ramp for the back seats had failed because of the narrow base of the door, and strange angles...

Had MDF boxes previously and that was a heavy/water-logged disaster... then I got a Pelican 1440, 1620. The pelican cases were great because I could pull them out quick, they were water tight, and on wheels.... BUT it killed my cargo space because everything was disorganized in the sense that I could stack stuff easily.

So I solved the problem (with the help of 2 friends).

marine grade plywood on top, 10x1" legs for the sides, a small 10x10x1" square/corner braces in the back for extra stability. I applied the KISS method and it turned out clean. Added some outdoor carpet w/ 4 tied downs on top and secured the bottom to the factory tiedowns using clips/rings.

All I need now is to make or buy a doggie ramp for her. Off to Petco (if that fails, I'll be ordering a fancy one from Orvis).

196229_1618745464356_1107960116_31382346_3327214_n.jpg

198821_1618745944368_1107960116_31382348_6003684_n.jpg

184322_1618746664386_1107960116_31382352_7328067_n.jpg

200640_1618746864391_1107960116_31382353_4215493_n.jpg

189047_1618747104397_1107960116_31382354_3547621_n.jpg

184238_1618747464406_1107960116_31382356_4217636_n.jpg

oh and my pelican 1440 and/or 1620 might go up for sale after i use them on this spring break trip to haul some clothes/camping stuff. i'd rather sell the 1440 I think, 1620 is a bit more versatile for my uses as a suitcase. I will take some trade or paypal offers but I may decline until I feel ready. I have no idea what the shipping costs are from Auburn, AL.

Intuit

Observer
Here are some more recent pictures of my progress...

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Brian 4a.jpg
    Brian 4a.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 5,270
  • Brian 5b.jpg
    Brian 5b.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 5,277
  • Brian 1a.jpg
    Brian 1a.jpg