Post your Mitsubishi Pajero Pics

jhill15

Explorer
Here's my new to me 2004 Limited. Cooper AT3 265/75r16 are getting installed today. Next up is roof rack.

PgAgt2M.jpg

gxybvat.jpg

Some articulation.
p2DJQdi.jpg

Top of the mountain.
QKnz1Nb.jpg
Thats a good looking rig jfeust! Can you post up some pics of your new coopers? Im in the running for some new shoes and would love to see what the 265/75/16 look like.

rock_shoes

Observer
I've really been enjoying this thread and picking up as many ideas as I can for Betty's future. After seeing all these modified rigs I thought it would be cool to post just how awesome these little monsters are bone stock.

The "Ghost" just outside of Calgary
2014-07-03 09.02.54.jpg
2014-07-03 09.47.09.jpg
2014-07-03 09.47.11.jpg
2014-07-03 09.47.18.jpg
2014-07-03 09.49.40.jpg
2014-07-03 09.49.42.jpg
2014-07-03 09.49.45.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-07-03 09.49.48.jpg
    2014-07-03 09.49.48.jpg
    611.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 2014-07-03 12.03.18.jpg
    2014-07-03 12.03.18.jpg
    571 KB · Views: 29
  • 2014-07-03 12.03.42.jpg
    2014-07-03 12.03.42.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 26

Dolomiti

Adventurer

rock_shoes

Observer
The JDM diesels have their own set of unique things to look for. Due to the 15 year rule it's wise to budget for some specific engine related work.

Firstly you can expect to rebuild the injection pump within the first 5 years of ownership. It isn't a design flaw so much as an issue of aging seals. The rotary type injection pump relies on fuel to keep the seals lubricated and not everyone knows to add an appropriate fuel conditioner to make up for the much "drier" ultra low sulphur fuels. You should only have to do this once at the most over the course of ownership but at $1100-1200 that's a locker installed for one of your diffs.

Heads and head gaskets must be on your look out list. Same deal as for the injection pump. Not a design flaw so much as a previous owner flaw. If the previous owner failed to keep the cooling system in good nick the first thing to blow was the head/head gasket. If you do pick one up the smart thing to do is to have the cooling system flushed and serviced ASAP as a precautionary measure. Take care of the cooling and she'll take care of you.

Like any car the turbo can be costly to have rebuilt if needed. Most likely you won't need to do this but be aware it's a possibility if the previous owner wasn't smart enough to know turbo engines of this vintage require a cool down period prior to shut down. At $1600 (with a new waste-gate actuator) that's your other locker installed. Turbo timers are your friend!

I was lucky overall. The first Canadian owner replaced the head and gasket with a cooling system service. I picked it up for around $3000 under fair market so when I had to do the turbo/injection pump (pump upcoming this fall) I was still under its actual value for my overall expenses (with all the potentially expensive bits fully taken care of). I'm also fortunate living where I do because I have top notch JDM wise shops available to me within a 30 minute drive. One of them actually specializes in Pajero/Delica everything. They can even re-build the injection pump in house so I know it will be the original pump (rebuilt) going back in.

So far as the rest of the drive train bits go it's all Gen 2 Montero (Front end, rear end, brakes, etc.) so the typical service items don't cost me any more than they do anyone else. Thus far I'm loving the little beast. It beautifully tip-toes through terrain I watch larger 4x4's lumber through like a moose in heat. The low end diesel grunt is perfectly suited to 4x4 duties and the power is still sufficient for me to cruise the highway at the speed limit 99% of the time.

So far my mod wish list includes the usual bits:

-selectable lockers front and back
-105L long range fuel tank
-rock sliders
-just enough lift to fit 33's without any rubbing
-bumpers/winch

For my US counterparts. The 1993 Gen 2 hit's 25 years of age in a little more than 3 years. You too will be able to have that sweet sweet diesel. Your best bet will likely be the Canadian used market. I doubt there will be any worth having out of Japan at 25 years of age thanks to Japan's very strict laws regarding older vehicles.

Last edited:

JamesW

Adventurer
Mine used look just like that Rock_shoes ,Did a bit of fiddling with the pump and turbo and it improved it tenfold,but it didn't have the smoothness or power you get with a petrol. though it came on boost like an antichrist. Towing a 6000Kg trailer it overheated last year,filled it with water and probably air locked it so it heated again,cracking the head. Ended up getting a whole engine for SFA and put it in. Pump had just been refurbed too so i was sickened.

I love my paj though,and wouldn't change it for anything,only difference between mine and yours was the wheels,roof rails and front brush guard

Got it like this nearly 5 years ago

And now it is like this,but with the rear bumper

JamesW

Adventurer
Goodness.

Why thank you,I mainly use it for trips to the drive thru and rolling coal on joggers,they think I'm a ********,but all the local kids think I'm cool :sombrero:

JUst kidding, I built it to my needs really,has bike storage and fishing storage in the back,recovery gear stored under the false floor,and some creature comforts. I put the 35s on it as I had 31s,but my friends LR on 33s has tiny little diffs compared to my paj,so I was always getting hung up,with the 35s it has the same clearance,so we've well matched machines. Snorkel is because I'm like a 5 year old whenever I see water,and I need to drive through it,light bar is due to the amount of stupid animals wander the road at night,and the bumper was cheap as hell,so I couldnt say no

How's the mk1 cope with the bfgs? Tempted to go for them on mine for daily duties,but don't want to take a big performance hit. New colour looks sweet too,Japanese spec brown window tint would make it look genuine for the period it's from,but it makes the sky look a funny colour once you get out.

Dolomiti

Adventurer
Why thank you,I mainly use it for trips to the drive thru and rolling coal on joggers,they think I'm a ********,but all the local kids think I'm cool :sombrero:

JUst kidding, I built it to my needs really,has bike storage and fishing storage in the back,recovery gear stored under the false floor,and some creature comforts. I put the 35s on it as I had 31s,but my friends LR on 33s has tiny little diffs compared to my paj,so I was always getting hung up,with the 35s it has the same clearance,so we've well matched machines. Snorkel is because I'm like a 5 year old whenever I see water,and I need to drive through it,light bar is due to the amount of stupid animals wander the road at night,and the bumper was cheap as hell,so I couldnt say no

How's the mk1 cope with the bfgs? Tempted to go for them on mine for daily duties,but don't want to take a big performance hit. New colour looks sweet too,Japanese spec brown window tint would make it look genuine for the period it's from,but it makes the sky look a funny colour once you get out.

Thanks. I have not had it off-road (the gen 1) since the new tires have been added. The tires on your gen 2 look like the same brand that I have on my 110. They're a UK brand.

image.jpg

May as well add a pic of the 2.5 with the same BFG 33x10.5 as my gen 1

image.jpg

and the gen 1 for reference

image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk