Post your tents

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Both the Kodiak and Springbar could use a "tropical roof" (my term). I'd like to see an optional roof sheet that clips on to the bars above the normal roof to reduce heat build up in the tent. When I was researching these tents I did not see this. Think I'll try to build my own.

rubberduck

Observer
I would go for that. I just try to pay attention to the wind and set up accordingly. Of course winds are subject to change.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
If looking for a hoist system for lifting a RTT a good source is canoe & kayak suppliers for lifting small boats. Cabelas stocks one. Also Piragis Outfitters, my favorite canoeing outfitter. Or you can just run down to your hardware store and buy some pulleys and cord and rig your own.

A problem with any lift system is that very few garages have doors tall enough to get a rig with RTT through.

Ace

Harken Hoisters are available from a variety of sources on-line, including Ebay. Harken specializes in nautical hardware. Perhaps, that's why they have the hoisters as part of their product line.

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
One thing to keep in mind with the Harken Hoister is to "balance" the load with the Hoister's weight rating. While it is obvious you don't want to use an 80 pound rated Hoister on a 160 pound roof tent. What is not so obvious is that you probably don't want to use a 200 pound rated Hoister for a 100 pound roof tent. It will work, but just not as well as a lighter rated one. The reason for a higher rating is that there are more wraps and pulleys to give you more mechanical advantage but the downside is more friction. Harken's quality may seem like overkill, with ball bearing pulleys and all but it does make their systems work well. Harken also comes from a marine background and they build in a very high safety factor into their products.

Another nice thing is that if you have a high ceiling, Harken can make you a Hoister with longer lines. I've had them make me one for a 12 foot ceiling in the past. It is special order, but they are a very responsive company to work with.

An observation regarding the garage door height question. Sometimes you can drive your rig under the bar even though the measured height will not allow it. Let me explain, a friend had a garage where we measured his Jeep and his Maggiolina at the highest point. It was two to three inches too high to fit. We still had two to three inches clearance without having to air down the tires. This is because most driveways are sloped up to the garage so your rear wheels are lower when you drive in. Your vehicle will describe an arc and the height at the center of the vehicle is effectively lower. Of course, if your driveway approach is down, this same principle will work against you.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
I have the 200 lb rated hoister for my Maggiolina Air Top which weighs north of 150 lbs with the ladder and awning stowed inside.

One minor problem with the hoister comes if you raise the empty straps up out of the way when they are not holding the RTT. With no weight on the straps, it is pretty much impossible to get the straps to lower back down to load the tent. I now use a 2.5 gallon jug filled with water on each strap to provide enough weight to lower them when it's time to load and raise the tent. A minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience nonetheless.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Happy Birthday :)

Your going to love it, here is our RV-1 with the sides added.

edit: lol at setting it up in your home

attachment.php

Really nice set up! Like the small kitchen table too, I like bags and soft sided hanging containers, efficient and light weight!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Here's my baby,, goes anywhere I can drive.

DSCN1565a.jpg

DSCN1570a.jpg

DSCN1571a.jpg

DSCN1573.jpg

Man, that's a great set up, my vote for the best looking camper, lol. Lucky you!

Lot's of great set ups, this thread makes choosing the right one very difficult.

As to the lift, I just used straps to the garage ceiling, losen them place the under the top, disconnect and lift by hand and tighten up that strap, repeat at the other end, drive away.

rangerdogg

Adventurer
Tepui.jpg Here is my tepui on my ford ranger that is my work truck also.Great tent for the money .I have slept in it 2 twice so far and am hopeing to go soon in a few weeks .I should be able to see how the cool weather is in it. Hopefully next year it will be on my utility trailer also.Me and the wife travel to flea markets and plan on setting up and selling her stuff she buys and re sells and stuff i make into other things.

Happy Camping everyone

Zepset

The Jumping Jack Trailers are a great way to go for the "Adventure Trailer" solution! I am surprised there are not more solutions like this out there.

Ramble on!

Zepset

My Roof Top Tent

I have no idea who the manufacturer is for this tent, but this is my camping dwelling.

CIMG0549.JPGCIMG0779.JPGRTT2.jpgRTT4.jpgRTT8.jpg79GMCCmpSpcl.1.JPG79GMCCmpSpcl.JPG

77blazerchalet

Former Chalet owner
A basic cheapo tent given to me by my older brother, I don't think I ever looked at the brand name on it. The goal has been ultimately to sleep indoors, and I thought I'd achieved that with my former Chalet, but I never completed the restoration enough to have it ready for camping. So, the goal remains to be surrounded by hard-sided walls, but the goal is also to get out away from the city, no matter what the sleeping conditions is, for at least one full week in the height of the summer.

00000020.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh