Post your tents

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
My latest addition. Tentcot Collapsible. Nice for off the ground bivy tent. Very comfy with a REI 3.5" self inflating pad. 5 minute set up. 5 minutes to break camp. Not for the claustrophobic.

BB038Small.jpg

The bigger bag is the tent the other is the chair in the above pic.
BB012Small-3.jpg

I have the same Tentcot. It's called the Compact, not Collapsible, but then they would be darn hard to carry if not foldable ; ) Your right about it being a bit cramped. I also found condensation can be a problem even with all the vents. I really like that you can just zip off the tent and use as a standard cot.

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Your right, but I like Barney better. I do think they called it the Compact at one time but....

I have owned several Tentcots and currently have the Oversize ImageUploadedByTapatalk1342102364.952629.jpg and CCTC. Like you said great for a quick overnite. I use mine mostly on 4x4 trips where we have a new camp each night. I set mine up under a vehicle mounted awning if expecting rain for the dry access you described. Biggest complaint I have is they don't offer a truly waterproof case and because I have stored mine on the roof rack for many days mildew has been a problem. I did have a dry bag custom built for the CCTC by JPW

I have considered mounting my Oversize TC on the roof rack for a cheap and lightweight RTT so was pleasantly surprised to find the Bushtreka on their website. They mounted an Oversize on a bicycle trailer which shows me it could easily be modified to go on a roof rack. I think I'll give them a call and see if they would be interested in making a RTT version.

I agree Barney would be better if wider and a built in awning would be nice.

Ace

theksmith

Explorer
...I did have a dry bag custom built for the CCTC by JPW...

i had a friend that does upholstery make me a custom roll-top waterproof bag for my Oversize Tent-Cot so that i can carry it on the roof rack in any sort of weather. i then cut 2 strips of an all-weather rug (the kind with the rubber back), and glued them on the inside of the bag to the opposite end from the roll-top (the end that sits on the ground when you're loading or unloading the thing from the bag). on my original bag that came with the thing, the sharpish frame corners had worn holes in the end of the bag.

on other thing i found after being in a torrential downpour all night, the fabric that makes up the bottom of the Tent-Cot is not waterproof. if you have heavy enough rain splashing up off the ground, it will absorb water and wick inwards around the edges. a few coats of waterproofing spray fixes that.

i always use a Watershed dry duffel for my clothes and such, so it can just sit next to the tent cot and not need to worry about rain.

i do wish they would make it so that you could have one of the side doors of the fly sit up as an mini awning... wouldn't be that hard to design.

bobDog

Expedition Leader
Man I don't miss porcupine ..... those bastards will chew anything with salt from sweat ......boots, gloves, ax and hatchet handles etc. :what:

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Our Coleman we use once in awhile, I love this tent for it's size and convenience, but we wanted something a little nicer.

IMG_5425.jpg

Our new setup, Not the tent out back though. A Cascadia Vehicle Tents RTT (CVT) Mt Rainier with Annex. Not shown is the Awning that will also be mounted on the trailer.

555899_10151243461828294_1209887535_n.jpg

The tent is currently being paired with a M416 and a lift mech to be able to use the annex still. I think we are going to use a modified version of the scissor jack method found on this forum. It was really nice on the H3, but we like to make camp and use the H3 to explore and packing up each time to leave camp, while leaving the rest of our gear at camp wasn't an option.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/46374-My-*slow-going*-M416-camping-trailer-build

concretejungle

Adventurer
I have a tent cot also. you were asking about mounting it on the roof rack? ... here is a pic or two of mine mounted on my roof rack. About an hour after taking this pic we had a sudden downpour. It rained hard for about 30 minutes. I stayed in the tent and stayed perfectly dry. Another time it rained for a day and a half while it was set up and it stayed perfectly dry.

Attachments

• cullowhee 8-30-08 059 (Medium).jpg
    cullowhee 8-30-08 059 (Medium).jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 54
  • cullowhee 8-30-08 069.jpg
    cullowhee 8-30-08 069.jpg
    545.6 KB · Views: 59

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
I have a tent cot also. you were asking about mounting it on the roof rack? ... here is a pic or two of mine mounted on my roof rack. About an hour after taking this pic we had a sudden downpour. It rained hard for about 30 minutes. I stayed in the tent and stayed perfectly dry. Another time it rained for a day and a half while it was set up and it stayed perfectly dry.

Yes, that is about what I had in mind. I see no ladder, do you just scramble up the back of the 80?

Ace

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
Twice I tried adding a photo of this tent to my previous post and it crashed the app both times. So here is a shot of the Black Pine Turbo Tent described earlier.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346432395.957306.jpg

sourdough

Adventurer
coleman 6 person

IMG_2283.jpg

easy set up, stand up head room. plenty room for Coleman cot, chair and table inside. what's not to like..

Honu

lost on the mainland
get some nicer ones next trip ;)

at night with the goal zero lights which are nice to see whats going on get the kids ready for bed etc..
the red box thing is a dog crate
also the kelty tarp and Xmas lights for fun :)

lights.jpg

not quite setup camp the IGT fame on the right side was not setup yet etc...
but shows the inside sleeping area and the main living part etc..

setup.jpg

Last edited:

Honu

lost on the mainland
Hono, is that fire pot under the Kelty canopy?

its one of those little red fire in a can setups that run on propane

better angle you can kinda see the hose running along her chair and the tank behind her :)
never left any marks or anything and the heat does not carry that high to do anything to the tarp :)

fire1.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
It appears that Camp-rite is now making the Collapsable tent cot in an XL and a doble since I last looked.

Yes, I just saw both of the new models at Sportmans Warehouse yesterday. I may have to sell my OS and CCTC and get the new CCTC Xl soon. I sort of wish Kamprite would stop coming out with new models. I think I've owned 6 and counting. ;-)

Ace

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3