Pre birth of a camper - No laughing!

Dragonsmaug

I have also had 2 draglinks fail and the second lasted 30k km about 11months . Until I read the posts above I was under the impression
it was my driving or worth claiming on warranty, I will carry the last one as a spare from now on. To reassure you Ian the 1st failed badly in Ghana causing the steering to almost ratchet for 100 km then improved to needing extra movement of steering wheel and I drove back to the UK. Martin I live in Derbyshire and would like to come and compare notes some time when I get back from Central America
Chris

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Small update.

The original door locking mechanism was woefully inadequate from a security perspective and it also wouldn't latch unless you pulled it close and lifted the handle.
So I sourced this lock from Ormocar and fitted it. Sorry - I forgot to take the "before" photos.

WP_20140302_002 (577x1024).jpg WP_20140302_004 (577x1024).jpg

part time nomad

Adventurer
Hello this is my first post on this forum, I have read all Ian's build with great interest as I have just bought a vario exactly the same!
And I to want to build a camper, I am in the uk and the truck came from Ireland, my problem could be registering it in the uk.
I have spoken to Mercedes technical and they said they can't give me a type approval or (coc) as it won't reach euro 6
Is an iva my only route or is there another way?

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Are you just registering it as a commercial vehicle in the same category as it was in Ireland? Surely you just head down to the local DVLA office and just register it!. All the emissions and type approval stuff is now common and so that should not be a problem.
The Euro 6 comment from Mercedes doesn't make sense as I presume the vehicle is more than a couple of years old. The only possible change would be put a MPH speedo into it if the current one is KPH only (and even this is unlikely if the Vario is more than 6 years old).

What steps have you tried so far?

One thing I would suggest is reregistering it in the UK before doing any conversion. I had trouble going the other way on this. I used a UK van as a base for a camper conversion and then went to reregister it in Ireland. The combination of the change of use and the UK->Ireland move confused the poor Registration office.

part time nomad

Adventurer
The truck is a 2002 ex esb just like yours was, bet it would bring back memories ! I have spoken to lots of people on this, I did register a ire truck a few years ago but things have changed since. A mate of mine found me the truck in curlew and shipped it for me. I have spoken to the dvla who are sending me a pack (quite a thick one if I remember ) but I also need to import it, but to do that I need a type approval, that it does not have apparently, Only Grease and Ireland did not sign up to the treaty!
So I need type approval the guy at Mercedes homologation said it is only euro 2 and the UK government have just clamped down on these measures, he said the only way was to put it through an IVA test it's class N2

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
I managed to get a bit of work done on the van over the last couple of weekends.

I fitted the Gulper pump to empty the shower and it works as expected. I was toying with the itdea of having it triggered by water flow to the shower but ended up with an old fashioned switch instead.
WP_20140330_001 (1024x577).jpg

I also fitted a SOG like fan system to the black holding tank. I need to make some deposits to confirm whether this sorts the slight smells I was getting from the bathroom.

I made a press for under the sink in the bathroom. I know this seems like a small thing, but I'm particularly proud of the construction and finish. It's a ply carcass clad in 2-3mm PVC (same as the walls). Getting the curve right was a PIA. But worth it I think.

WP_20140330_003 (577x1024).jpg WP_20140330_002 (577x1024).jpg

And Finally - Big decision time! I'm going to go back to the 17.5 inch wheels. I think the 19.5in look cool and they certainly work for others, but the combination of height of my vehicle and the fact that it will be doing highway work most of the time has swung it for me. Anybody interested in a set of Aspect wheels specifically designed for the Vario?

Last edited:

incognito

Adventurer
Just to recap here's the camper details:
-Chassis is a 2002 model 814DA with approximately 230K Kms
-Overall height 3.5m
-Overall length 7.2m
-Wheelbase 3.7m and rear overhang of 2.2m
-Weight: Front axle 2600Kg, Rear Axel 3400Kg
-Original wheels were standard 17.5Inch rims with Michelin 9.5 R17.5 XZT tyres and with duel wheels on the back.
-New wheels are 8.25 x 19.5 wheels (+ 98mm offset) with 285/70 R 19.5 Continental HDR tyres and with just singles on the back
-New Koni adjustable dampers have been fitted and with the damping adjusted by 1.5 turns
-The rubbers in the anti-roll bars have been replaced
-The rest of the suspension is original

The problems
1) On a good smooth road steering inputs feel like they are delayed and then when the steering change is felt, the rear feels like it’s swinging around. This can lead to me over steering and then over compensating. Not a nice feeling. However on long fast curves, the steering is slow to react and the tail feels like it’s swinging a bit, but then the van settles into the corner and can carry good speed.
2) On bumpy or poor road surfaces (we have a lot of this in Ireland :) ) the van does not want to track straight. It will tend to change direction without warning even on small things like centre white lines. This is very disconcerting.

Steps taken to try and resolve or at least diagnose the situation
1) I replaced the suspension rubbers on the anti-roll bars. There was no noticeable change
2) I got in touch with Continental and they advised me to change the tyre pressures down to 4.5bar front and rear. They also pointed out that the HDR tyres are “Drive Only” tyres and not designed for steering, but they felt they should be “Ok”. The lowering of the pressure (from about 5.5bar) improved the ride comfort but didn’t help on the two problems
3) Fitted the new Koni dampers. This did help somewhat. But the problems still exist as described.
4) I refitted the original 17.5Inch wheels. This made some difference to the first problem. The steering felt a little quicker to react and the rear didn’t swing quite as much – although there was still tail swing. The big change was that the van was far less troubled by poor or bumpy roads and tracked straight.
5) I then put the 17.5" wheels on the front and the 19.5" singles on the back. Tail swing was somewhere between having all 17.5" wheels fitted (including duals on the back) and all 19.5" wheels fitted (closer to this). Steering felt like all 17.5" setup and it tended to track pretty straight.

These are my thoughts on why changing back to the original wheels helped:
1) The dual rear wheels – This probably would have helped reduce the feeling of the rear tail swing, but I can see how it helped with the feeling of steering or the changes of direction on poor roads
2) The new (custom made) 19.5inch wheels may have a different offset – This may explain the changes of direction on poor roads?
3) The HDR tyres have a much wider contact patch which might be more susceptible to following the poor road surfaces and causing changes of direction?
4) The HDR tyres are designed to be drive only tyres and are not at all suited to steering?

Options
1) Going back to just 17.5" wheels seems to be the safest option. Problem is that I'd have to buy 5 good tyres (£280 a pop) plus a rim and plus I'd have to do a fair bit of rework as I used the space left free by going to the singles to route the black water 3" pipe.
2) Buy 2 steering/all location tyres for the 19.5" front. Trouble is - I don't know if this will behave the same way as the 17.5".

Any thoughts/suggestions or even criticisms welcomed!

Hy,

i would keep the 19.5 because you already have those wheels . but would try 245 70 r19.5 in front or even better 225 r19.5 if load rating is ok on those tires for your front axle weight
the problem i think you have is too wide tires in front . let me explain i changed my tires for sport tires on my daily driver from 195 r16 to 215 r16 anf i have exactly the problem you've been describing: steering wheel moving left or right on uneven roads need to adjust at every bump. with the 195 r16 i could drive straight,but not any more.
the load of your camper i imagine is making the problem worst.
my experience the wider tires in front more difficult to steer on bad roads
hope this helps
incognito

Last edited:

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Incognito, Thanks for the suggestion. Worth thinking about. I think the 8.25" wide rims would be a challenge for 245 tyres though?

incognito

Adventurer
Hy,
sorry missed that . you need the 7.5'' rim i quess.
on my dually 235 85 r17 oem i will try 19.5 single rear wheel conversion. i want to go 285 rear and 225 or245 front. michelin only for heavy duty on/off-road tire .
good luck
incognito

Attachments

• 20140101_144016.jpg
    20140101_144016.jpg
    595 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:

ianc

Adventurer Wannabe
Charlie,
I haven't. I looked at doing it but couldn't decide by how I should adjust it.
I can understand how it might help the straighline stability - Could it help the vagueness or delay to steering inputs?

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Hi Ian,

The gulper makes all the difference, for us it meant we can park any which way and not worry.

The wheels....i'm interested, can you PM me a price. No idea how/when I could collect/get them, but that i'm sure could be sorted.

Thanks,

part time nomad

Adventurer
Hello Ian are you going to ao14 this year.
I have had my vario iva done now and will mot next month so if registration comes through I will take it there with my trialer land rover on the back, did you find a way to put an extra alternator on yours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy