Project “Polar Bear”: 1989 V2500 Suburban

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Interesting that the lines of a lot of new american cars looks like a cousin of these....

http://www.opel.com

Cars! Nice looking machines...
Ow and Larry, you can always write in the sand or dirt, `chilliwak was not here´ and take a pic. That would make me happy.... Or you could add, `I wish I was here´ :)

ben2go

Adventurer
Interesting that the lines of a lot of new american cars looks like a cousin of these....

Ow and Larry, you can always write in the sand or dirt, `chilliwak was not here´ and take a pic. That would make me happy.... Or you could add, `I wish I was here´ :)

I thought GM owned Opel?:confused:

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer

GM is definitely using their Global Design on these new Epsilon II platform cars (Cadillac XTS, Buick LaCrosse, Opel Insignia/Buick Regal) as you can see some family resemblance. We can’t wait to get the new Impala.

Hehe, yeah…when we go to the sand dunes we’ll have to do something fun like that.

I thought GM owned Opel?:confused:

Yes, Opel is a GM company. In fact, the current Buick Regal is straight out Opel Insignia badge engineered to be a Buick.

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Larry, have you had a chance to see what kind of mileage you are getting with the 4.56s? I know our trucks are apples and oranges but I've been slightly disappointed in my 4.11 mileage on the 35" bfgs.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Larry, have you had a chance to see what kind of mileage you are getting with the 4.56s? I know our trucks are apples and oranges but I've been slightly disappointed in my 4.11 mileage on the 35" bfgs.

Nah, not yet. I’m confident the deeper gears will increase mileage around town as the engine isn’t working as hard but decrease fuel mileage on the highway. With the 4:56 gears it is so nice not to have to spin the little small block so hard it sounds the pistons are swapping holes just to keep up with city traffic. I still need to take the Burb for a ride with the GPS attached to figure out actual speed so I can order the correct percentage Speed Ratio Adapter in order to correct the speedo.

This is what I need to order to fix my speedo. 1989 is actually the last year of speedo cables before GM went electric in trucks, suvs and vans.
RatioAdapter.jpg

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
I finally got my speedo fixed with this last trans update... soo much nicer.

I drive a lot (80-90%) on the highway so I had hoped the 4.11s would be better.

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
I have a little day trip over Medano Pass to the Sand Dunes coming up with a few friends which was the motivation I needed to wire up 12V power in the back of the Burb for the National Luna refrigerator borrowed from the Phoenix camper on the K10. I've gotten spoiled having cold pop and food in the K10 so I had to make accommodations for the fridge in the Suburban too because you know, you can't go on a day trip without cold pop.
histerical.gif

You would think stringing 12V power to the back of the Burb would be a short project….nope, not at this garage. 3 night's worth of project :snorkel:

I am a junction block junkie! I love these junction blocks GM used on the firewall of 73-91 square body trucks as they are so useful to use everywhere. I added one of these junction blocks to the RH fender to carry the power to the rear of the burb. For this location I removed the cross bar and added a fuse.
9972505065_d17c2380c3_c.jpg

Pinch mount stand-off bracket just forward of the RH wheel well as the power lead goes up into the cargo area. All the wiring is 10 gauge wire slid inside 7/32 vacuum hose. I like to run single power leads inside vacuum hose for added chaff protection.
9972703923_9b1e0248a5_c.jpg

Gave the pass through a good soaking of undercoating
9972570014_2026c3eb11_c.jpg

9972492424_74fa1f9609_c.jpg

Added another junction block in the right rear quarter panel just forward of the wheel well. I was able to gain access to this spot by way of a speaker hole. It was a tight hole to conduct business!
9972502164_a344f28be5_c.jpg

9972494335_4005aa5d86_c.jpg

All that work for 3 damn sockets!
9972558504_f7976b8b7a_c.jpg

Hella plug for the National Luna refrigerator, 2 port USB outlet and regular 12V outlet
9972660163_d8fa39ff75_c.jpg

Also added some tied downs to the floor while I was at it. Can't have that refrigerator bouncing around bonking people on the head
9972715643_11139b5fa2_c.jpg

With that, I think we can properly go on a day trip now once I borrow the tires and wheels off the K10 as well.
histerical.gif

Last edited:

87GMCJimmy

Adventurer
Great thread!!! I've quite enjoyed reading your build and it makes me miss the heck outta my square body!!! (the rig my username came from) Got a kick outta your trade in joke! (trading the Polar Bear in for the Z71 Tahoe) Well, I got a kick out of it once I realized it was a joke.... before that I was like- Wow! I don't even know this guy but I want to find out who he is so I can hit him up side the head for trading in such a great piece of old iron!!! (LOL!) Looking forward to seeing updates!
:beer:

edlaffoon

Adventure Every Day
Ok cool I was wondering, I use a BSS 12 fuse block in my switch box for pretty much everything on the truck. I love their stuff. Thanks!

az_eric

very nice install. I cant wait till I get another burb. I keep going back and forth between turning my k5 into more of an "expo" rig or a crawler. Just doesnt seem to have the capabilities my old burb had for what I want. Your builds are top notch. One question though, did you ever consider doing an nv5600 instead of the 4500? why or why not?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven

Members online