Project "Autonomous" F-350

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
And sorry for the hijack. More off road race shots please pappawheely :)

Sorry to hear about the restrictions there. No hijack, this is an on-going discussion. I appreciate when others share their knowledge. Per your request I put together a little gallery from the BITD Silver State 300.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I just got my gas filler doors from Drake Offroad. I have seen the ones at Pep Boys but they don't have any inner structure. These have the inner piece and a rubber gasket around the opening. Very nice! I have to start thinking about where to mount them. The trick will be getting them high enough without getting into the box.

Machined aluminum with a little carbon fiber insert.

It latches with these magnets. simple and holds tight.

The machine work is nice and the quality of the hardware and components is top notch.

The inner piece is tough abs. The rubber gasket around the opening will seal against the filler tube. I will probably bend up some muffler tubing with a straight flexible hose midline to allow flex.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
That gas cap is pretty sechsy but I'm surprised it isn't locking.

I'm messing around with some butyl rubber window flashing as sound attenuation in another topic, maybe it will be useful in your build. It's got some pretty strong adhesive, sticks to just about everything. Particularly sheet metal. -
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...wer-lines-under-vehicle?p=1848235#post1848235

butyl05_zpseftvf2lj.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
I wouldn't imagine much or for very long, it's pretty thin. Even in multiple layers. Made a few drives since I put that stuff on, it has definitely attenuated higher-frequency road and tire noise from the back. I think I'm going to add it whenever I gain access to body metal doing something else. Like pulling my headliner for cargo net anchor points and ceiling fishing pole rack.

1" styrofoam board is R9 iirc and relatively linear in 1/2" and 2" thicknesses. You might need to line your box with the stuff, thickest on the ceiling.

That'll help retain some heat / slow cooling on those cold desert nights. On the flip side, the more fabric sewing I do the more convinced I am that the best cooling idea is keeping the sun from hitting the box skin in the first place. Just got my orange 'marker panel' underlayer sewn up for my vehicle awning idea, ought to get the rest done within a month.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...eas-for-a-lightweight-compact-flexible-design

awning29_zpsn9xcyjgx.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
Seriously, yes. We can do some barter. I've got to sell my old pickup to free up any large cash for bigger projects on this Sub, already doodling ideas to make up my own bumper / grill guard. And working up some designs for smaller bits for attaching / racking things. most of my metal fab wont get in gear until late in the year. Got awnings, radios, storage drawers, cooling system preventative maintenance and a fuel pump swap to do first.

But I can do some sewing sooner so it can do you some good this summer, if there's something you have in mind already..

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I am going to need some cushions covered and some type of awning. I need to make something similar to this truck's. A limb protector and a place to hold my solar panels. I would like a roof hatch and a section above that has fabric to shade the roof. It would have to support my weight and not flutter going down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal