Project "Autonomous" F-350

rayra

Expedition Leader
Couple questions and ideas -

You talking about a fitted cover that remains in place on the highway, or something you erect at the track and leave in place while moving from location to location ~30mph?
Would you need it high enough that you could work up on the roof, but under the shade?

One method would be a fitted cover and a frame for it akin to a pop-up canopy, which would work as both a cap and as an elevated shaded with the addition of some vertical poles.

Another could be something akin to a ski boat canopy, a hinged folding frame that acts like those beach privacy screens. A hemisphere or arc. Which could be really advantageous as both sun shade and windbreak, particularly in the deserts. You'd park the rig facing into the prevailing winds and raise the shield up.

Another could be the roll-up tarps fit to cover huge roll-on trash bins. Reeled up at the front, pulled out to the stern as a road cover, or up over an erected tubular frame as working shade.

If it's a semi-permanent shade layer fit for highway travel, the fabric would have to be pretty robust, likely fitted to a perimeter frame like a trampoline, and best be criss-crossed with a network of webbing straps for reinforcement.

The real trick would be to make a multi-purpose design that works in multiple configurations. Or go simple and light and make a different piece for each application. The lighter stuff would be about 50-60cents a square foot for materials, including webbing, grommets etc. roughly.

eta wait, are you thinking of a close fitting fabric layer that you could walk on? Like the fabric deck of a catamaran?

nacra460Fun005.jpg

This could be done as a roll-up piece, like a horizontal window shade. cross-bar anchored at the front, fabric rolled up on the trailing square-section tube. Unroll to a series of notched stops on some side frame rails, drop the trailing tube into the notch. Then tie off the sides. Deployed in 2-3mins, stored rolled up on the highway.

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Pardon the crude drawing but something like this to start. It would need to go down the road at speed; be permanently mounted to shade the roof of the truck. It would also be nice if it would support the weight of one or two people. The catamaran deck is a perfect example but it needs to provide shade. Like you said, the best way to keep the truck cool is to prevent the sun from reaching the surface of the vehicle. Spiderweb shade makes Jeep tops that shade, just not sure how strong it is.

Last edited:

rayra

Expedition Leader
That's pretty much what I had pictured in my mind. Excellent. Some cordura / ballistic nylon should be strong enough, I'll verify that. 1000D should be strong enough, 500D might be.
http://www.laststandtactical.com/500d-vs-1000d

Basically the material used in school backpacks / book bags and luggage. Sized a couple inches smaller than the interior dimension of the roof perimeter frame, einforced edges, grommeted, and lashed to a perimeter frame just like a catamaran deck. And that keeps the rail itself clear to use for other things.

This site shows some nice color options. A lighter shade like khaki would be good for both a sun shade and hide the dirt of using it as a walking surface. Their price is about $10 a linear yard (typically a 5' wide roll, so 15sq' for $10, .67/sq'. Call it about $1/sq' for materials (fabric, heavy duty polyester thread, grommets, lashing rope)

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/1000D-Cordura-Nylon/1000-Denier-Coated-Cordura-Nylon-Fabric

I have to do some more research on tear strength etc, find out what's actually used on things like catamaran decks. Might even be possible to use a 500D fabric.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I'm not sure what's going on at Skyjacker but I bought a front brake line kit from them for the F350. It had the wrong banjo fittings so I called and they sent the correct ones out but I had to find my own copper washers. On my last trip the tire rubbed against the line and wore through the covering so I ordered a second kit. This time they sent hoses that were too short and instead of banjo fittings, there were t-fittings attached to the ends of the hoses. I called again and explained what happened and supplied photos of what I received. Today I finally got a box from them and could not believe what was inside. It was a bag of nylock nuts????? I called again and am waiting for another box to arrive. How do you get it that wrong?

1. Wrong fittings

2. Bag of nuts

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Got another kit in the mail today. Wrong banjo diameter like the first kit I ordered. My calipers might be different than what the factory calls out but after all this hassle I am skeptical about giving them the benefit of the doubt.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
So it's been in the triple digits here for a couple days and the roof has become a priority. It is all aluminum and it gets too hot to even touch on the inside of the box. I've been doing research on coatings that will insulate the roof. I am not interested in a reflective coating, I want something that really insulates. Has anyone used any of the coatings with ceramic spheres? I have read pro's and cons but would like to hear any first hand experiences from a trusted source. :26_16_2:

uncle

Observer
I had my two boilers at work coated with the ceramic coating and it made worlds of difference that you can tell just by walking into the boiler room.

But...I also heard that coffee cups are ceramic and still need a handle, so....

Brian

rayra

Expedition Leader
Lots of praise and marketing verbage but nothing stating hard numbers. Even the 'tech info' section doesn't seem to have anything quantitative. Intriguing idea though. Can't seem to find anything about walking on it (presume you want to put it on the exterior of the roof?)

http://www.ceramicadditive.com/testimonial.html

I've read of great results with Henry's roof coatings on shipping containers, on various Prepper forums.
http://us.henry.com/roofing/reflective-coatings/

Last edited:

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I had my two boilers at work coated with the ceramic coating and it made worlds of difference that you can tell just by walking into the boiler room.

But...I also heard that coffee cups are ceramic and still need a handle, so....

Brian

That's what I was looking for, first hand experience. Thanks uncle! Thanks Rayra and Kole too.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
I ordered a gallon of this:

I have to install some roof vents and then I will coat the roof. I better do it in the a.m. or evening so I don't get burned from the roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal