Project "Autonomous" F-350

rayra

Expedition Leader
Gonna be a monster. What do you expect the weight to be? Upgrading brakes?

Will be driving out that way again between the Election and Thanksgiving, want me to swing by for a couple hours and talk custom dashboard (or whatever)?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
That looks really nice. Cant wait to see the box on it.

Me too! I finished clearancing the rear panel and started to build a temporary x-member to hold the driveshaft so I can move the truck around.

Gonna be a monster. What do you expect the weight to be? Upgrading brakes?

Will be driving out that way again between the Election and Thanksgiving, want me to swing by for a couple hours and talk custom dashboard (or whatever)?

I think the brakes are fine, they are the bigger dually brakes. The box is pretty light, I know it's the stuff you bring with you that adds up quick. I hope to stay under the gvw of 11.5K.

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Temporary driveshaft so I can move the truck around. You can see how much length I needed to accommodate the wheelbase stretch and lift. I also need a temporary cross member for the carrier bearing. The JE Reel driveshaft I have for the 4x4 drivetrain has the slip joint in the rear shaft for strength and better function; it is different from the 2wd shaft. I also disconnected the rear spring shackles and dropped the truck down to check diff clearance to the fuel storage tank; tons of clearance. When it was resting on the camper jacks I did a frame twist test. With the subframe attached the frame can still twist freely.

dd76522

I just read all 98 pages, not all at once thankfully. You're doing amazing things man! I'm really interested to see how it performs both on and off road when you're done!

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
The Best in the Desert series "Nugget 250" is this weekend in Pahrump, Nevada. The course runs on stuff we have not raced on for years. Lots of rocks, cross grain, and hopefully (for us photographers) some silt.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I keep making vrrt vrrrrt noises when I look at your pictures. Amazing stillness. Do you set up where they are naturally slowing / turning, or is your shutter speed just that damned fast and your human tracking / panning just that good?

pappawheely

Autonomous4X4
Amazing stillness. Do you set up where they are naturally slowing / turning, or is your shutter speed just that damned fast and your human tracking / panning just that good?

Usually we are shooting in bright light with shallow depth of field. That leads to fast shutter speeds that freeze the action. You can always open up the f-stop and slow the shutter speed down....

But most race photographers will tell you; the minute you slow down your shutter speed, someone crashes!

Anytime rocks are flying, I like to freeze the action.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater