Project Hundy Build Thread - 2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
Great build, even better thread. I wish you guys would've recorded the 48 hour mad dash build weekend...editing that into a show wouldve been better than 99.9% of the stuff on tv now.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Great build, even better thread. I wish you guys would've recorded the 48 hour mad dash build weekend...editing that into a show wouldve been better than 99.9% of the stuff on tv now.

Who says we didn't ;)

We had 2 go-pro's rolling the entire time plus a couple of cameras going at any given minute. A good friend of mine (and ExPo'er) is putting it together as a video now :cool:

53396_422102084522841_2125362643_o (Small).jpg

skrillah

Adventurer
Hey Kurt,
I didn't see on the build as to how many miles this rig has on it? Was that a consideration before piling on the gear? Obviously, maintenance and such is something to address with any vehicle, but I would think even a 200k mile 100 series might make you a tad nervous.

Kiel

I think it had 167k a couple weekends ago. Made me jealous the way it handled and rode, plus the power

cruiseroutfit

Hey Kurt,
I didn't see on the build as to how many miles this rig has on it? Was that a consideration before piling on the gear? Obviously, maintenance and such is something to address with any vehicle, but I would think even a 200k mile 100 series might make you a tad nervous.

It started with 160'ish. Zero qualms with starting with this as a base given that the 2UZFE lasts easily into the 250k range. This isn't a daily-driver so it will likely get ~10-15k a year primarily on trips so I've got a good 5 year run with it if not more? We did start with the basics when I first picked up the truck. It was in dire need of some TLC, we replaced the brake master/ABS system, replaced all of the pads and rotors. Full fluids change, and minor engine tune. I cleaned up some misc trim, exhaust mounts, etc. I do have a lightly weeping valve cover that I need to address in the next year, thinking that would be the time to install the supercharger. :D

I think it had 167k a couple weekends ago. Made me jealous the way it handled and rode, plus the power

It does work out nicely, it struggled a bit on the bit grades pulling that winch apparatus but given it's mission, I'm happy with it.

Still working on the next installment of the build thread, too much playing going on this weekend :D

cruiseroutfit

Death Start Build Part #6 - Time to put this thing to bed and go to bed myself

Sunday was fairly low key, after burning the candle at both ends on both Friday and Saturday nights, we were hoping Sunday was going be a cakewalk. The main agenda items were finishing up the wiring to the rear fridge and auxiliary outlets in the rear drawer system as well as work on the Helton shower install. I recruited Cody to help me pull wire from the engine bay to the rear drawers. Cody did a fantastic job tucking it all under the trim and looming it from front to back, leaving a super clean look throughout the cab. We terminated the wiring within the side panels of the drawer system and utilized flush mount plugs for the ARB fridge plug, 12V accessory plugs and the dual USB plug as well. The location of the ARB fridge plug was dictated by the location of the fridge slide but the extra 12V and USB ports just made logistical sense. Not only do they serve the needs from the back of the truck but they are super easy to utilize by those in the 2nd row seating, eliminating cords running from the dash to the backseat.

The Helton Hot Water system took a little more time. I have previously installed a handful of Helton systems in 100's belonging to customers but it was always done right against the firewall above the passenger side fender well, unfortunately rightwhere the dual battery is positioned in my particular setup. This required a change of plans as I had the Slee dual battery tray mounted and an ARB compressor mounted right next to the auxiliary battery. After a bit of scoping out and measuring up we found the most copacetic configuration was right behind the shroud of the engine, tucked high against the firewall. While this made for some creative plumbing restraints I was able to tie into the factory coolant system with two additional hoses and if I ever need to remove the Helton, a single OEM hose takes it out of the loop. For the fresh water lines to the bumper I opted for some high temperature rated 1/2" hose in red and blue coloring, the red for the hot (output) side and the blue for the cold (input) side of the system. These lines mate to the Helton bumper fitting bracket thus allowing easy of use in the field.

plumb_helton.jpg

Plumbing the Helton

helton_mounted.JPG

Helton Mounted

helton_bump_fit.JPG

Helton Bumper Fittings

wiring.jpg

Rear 12V Plug Wiring

outlets.jpg

Finalized plug configuration

aux_fuse.JPG

Bluesea Fuseblock

aux_bat.JPG

Finalized Dual Battery & ARB Compressor Mounting & Wiring

To Do List By End of Day 3 (Sunday 8AM - 5PM):

Inventory Parts X
Break wheel lug nuts X
Rear End on Jack Stands X
Remove Rear Tires X
Rear Stock Shocks & Coils Removed X
Rear OME Suspension Installation X
Rear Tires Mounted X
Rear End Lowered & Rear Tires Torqued X
Remove Front Bumper X
LandTank Fan Clutch Installation X
Front End on Jack Stands X
Stock Skid Plate Removed X
Stock Shocks Removed X
Stock Torsion Bars Removed X
OME Shocks & Torsion Bars Installed X
Slee Diff Drop Kit Installed X
OME Torsion Bars Adjusted X
Front Tires Mounted X
Front End Lowered & Front Tires Torqued X
Stock Trans Cross Member Removed X
Slee Skid Plates Installed X
Install ARB Front Bumper X
Warn Winch Installed in Bumper X
IPF Lights on Bumper X
Remove Stock Roof Rack X
Remove Stock Rear Bumper X
Install ARB Rear Bumper X
Assemble & Install ARB Wheel Carrier X
Assemble & Install ARB Jerry Can Holder X
Rough Electrical to Rear X
Rear 3rd Row Seats & Seatbelts Removed X
Outback Drawer System Installed X
Finalize ARB Fridge Wiring & Aux power outlets X
Install ARB Fridge X
Remove Stock Battery X
Install Slee Dual Battery Tray X
Install Optimas X
National Luna Dual Battery System Installation X
Remove Factory Running Boards X
Install ARB Side Steps & Side Rails X
Install Eezi-Awn Roof Rack X
Safari Snorkel Installation X
Helton Hot Shower System Installation X

100% complete, done, finished. While I was fully confident in our ability to make it happen on such a condensed schedule, I was still a bit in awe that all the pieces came together so nicely. :cool:

Helpers:

I couldn't have done it without my crew of ringers. These guys all sacrificed parts of their weekend to come slave away on what most considered an impossible build. In the end with many helping hands the actual work load was relatively light and I don't think anyone felt too burned out. We were able to cram nearly 150 man hours worth of projects and installs into a 72 hour window of time and still get a bit of shut-eye in between, all due to the generosity of my pals. I have to lead off my list (which is alphabetical) with my wife Candace who not only put up with my wrenching all weekend but also helped with key components of the build such as parts pickup and even more important feeding the hungry crew.

Candace Williams
Chris Peterson
Cody McKendrick
Corey Fillmore
Dan Lockington
Darren Webster
Dave Connors
Devin Baumgardner
Jake Chatwin
Jason Goates
Johnny Cassel
Josh Stanfield
Kirk Farrell
Olly Bradsteeet
Paul May
Ryan Davis
Scott Jackson
Stephen Nielson
Tovin Benson
(Anyone I'm missing? Please chime in!)

Companies:

While there were many companies that we could have used or did use for different roles on the build, these ones really stood out both in their interest of the project and their ability to help us make it happen on such an abbreviated schedule. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them for your build needs, tell them I sent you :D

ARB USA - Bumpers & OME suspension
Armor Coatings - Power coating of wheels, bumper and step components
Big-O Tires Sandy - Tires, mounting and balancing.
Equipt Expedition Off-Road - Roof rack and dual battery system
Slee Offroad - Skid plate system, battery tray and diff drop kit.
Ajik/Landtank - Modified fan clutch
Pfran - Interior LED retrofit kit.

Last edited:

brevity_thing

you know, the Dude abides
Death Start Build Part #6 - Time to put this thing to bed and go to bed myself

Sunday was fairly low key, after burning the candle at both ends on both Friday and Saturday nights, we were hoping Sunday was going be a cakewalk. The main agenda items were finishing up the wiring to the rear fridge and auxiliary outlets in the rear drawer system as well as work on the Helton shower install. I recruited Cody to help me pull wire from the engine bay to the rear drawers. Cody did a fantastic job tucking it all under the trim and looming it from front to back, leaving a super clean look throughout the cab. We terminated the wiring within the side panels of the drawer system and utilized flush mount plugs for the ARB fridge plug, 12V accessory plugs and the dual USB plug as well. The location of the ARB fridge plug was dictated by the location of the fridge slide but the extra 12V and USB ports just made logistical sense. Not only do they serve the needs from the back of the truck but they are super easy to utilize by those in the 2nd row seating, eliminating cords running from the dash to the backseat.

The Helton Hot Water system took a little more time. I have previously installed a handful of Helton systems in 100's belonging to customers but it was always done right against the firewall above the passenger side fender well, unfortunately rightwhere the dual battery is positioned in my particular setup. This required a change of plans as I had the Slee dual battery tray mounted and an ARB compressor mounted right next to the auxiliary battery. After a bit of scoping out and measuring up we found the most copacetic configuration was right behind the shroud of the engine, tucked high against the firewall. While this made for some creative plumbing restraints I was able to tie into the factory coolant system with two additional hoses and if I ever need to remove the Helton, a single OEM hose takes it out of the loop. For the fresh water lines to the bumper I opted for some high temperature rated 1/2" hose in red and blue coloring, the red for the hot (output) side and the blue for the cold (input) side of the system. These lines mate to the Helton bumper fitting bracket thus allowing easy of use in the field.

plumb_helton.jpg

Plumbing the Helton

helton_mounted.JPG

Helton Mounted

helton_bump_fit.JPG

Helton Bumper Fittings

wiring.jpg

Rear 12V Plug Wiring

outlets.jpg

Finalized plug configuration

aux_fuse.JPG

Bluesea Fuseblock

aux_bat.JPG

Finalized Dual Battery & ARB Compressor Mounting & Wiring

To Do List By End of Day 3 (Sunday 8AM - 5PM):

Inventory Parts X
Break wheel lug nuts X
Rear End on Jack Stands X
Remove Rear Tires X
Rear Stock Shocks & Coils Removed X
Rear OME Suspension Installation X
Rear Tires Mounted X
Rear End Lowered & Rear Tires Torqued X
Remove Front Bumper X
LandTank Fan Clutch Installation X
Front End on Jack Stands X
Stock Skid Plate Removed X
Stock Shocks Removed X
Stock Torsion Bars Removed X
OME Shocks & Torsion Bars Installed X
Slee Diff Drop Kit Installed X
OME Torsion Bars Adjusted X
Front Tires Mounted X
Front End Lowered & Front Tires Torqued X
Stock Trans Cross Member Removed X
Slee Skid Plates Installed X
Install ARB Front Bumper X
Warn Winch Installed in Bumper X
IPF Lights on Bumper X
Remove Stock Roof Rack X
Remove Stock Rear Bumper X
Install ARB Rear Bumper X
Assemble & Install ARB Wheel Carrier X
Assemble & Install ARB Jerry Can Holder X
Rough Electrical to Rear X
Rear 3rd Row Seats & Seatbelts Removed X
Outback Drawer System Installed X
Finalize ARB Fridge Wiring & Aux power outlets X
Install ARB Fridge X
Remove Stock Battery X
Install Slee Dual Battery Tray X
Install Optimas X
National Luna Dual Battery System Installation X
Remove Factory Running Boards X
Install ARB Side Steps & Side Rails X
Install Eezi-Awn Roof Rack X
Safari Snorkel Installation X
Helton Hot Shower System Installation X

100% complete, done, finished. While I was fully confident in our ability to make it happen on such a condensed schedule, I was still a bit in awe that all the pieces came together so nicely. :cool:

Helpers:

I couldn't have done it without my crew of ringers. These guys all sacrificed parts of their weekend to come slave away on what most considered an impossible build. In the end with many helping hands the actual work load was relatively light and I don't think anyone felt too burned out. We were able to cram nearly 150 man hours worth of projects and installs into a 72 hour window of time and still get a bit of shut-eye in between, all due to the generosity of my pals. I have to lead off my list (which is alphabetical) with my wife Candace who not only put up with my wrenching all weekend but also helped with key components of the build such as parts pickup and even more important feeding the hungry crew.

Candace Williams
Chris Peterson
Cody McKendrick
Corey Fillmore
Dan Lockington
Darren Webster
Dave Connors
Devin Baumgardner
Jake Chatwin
Jason Goates
Johnny Cassel
Josh Stanfield
Kirk Farrell
Olly Bradsteeet
Paul May
Ryan Davis
Scott Jackson
Stephen Nielson
Tovin Benson
(Anyone I'm missing? Please chime in!)

Companies:

While there were many companies that we could have used or did use for different roles on the build, these ones really stood out both in their interest of the project and their ability to help us make it happen on such an abbreviated schedule. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of them for your build needs, tell them I sent you :D

ARB USA - Bumpers & OME suspension
Armor Coatings - Power coating of wheels, bumper and step components
Big-O Tires Sandy - Tires, mounting and balancing.
Equipt Expedition Off-Road - Roof rack and dual battery system
Slee Offroad - Skid plate system, battery tray and diff drop kit.
Ajik/Landtank - Modified fan clutch

Wo
Pfran - Interior LED retrofit kit.

Wow massive mods!!! Congratulations, would love to build out mine like this! When you recover, would love to see pics :)

cruiseroutfit

Wow massive mods!!! Congratulations, would love to build out mine like this! When you recover, would love to see pics :)

Thanks! Scan through the thread and there are pics on many of the mods but I will also be posting some more 'finished' pics as I get time. Here is one to start :D

IMG_1652 (Small).JPG

cruiseroutfit

Death Star Part# 7: Follow-Up & Future Plans

Lets start with the name, Death Star. I don't really hurry to name a new vehicle or any of my vehicles for that matter but eventually they end up with a nickname one way or another. Most seem to get dubbed by friends, love it or hate it. While sitting on a beach in San Felipe, MX before the start of the Baja 1000 the discussion revolved back to the names of Land Cruisers. Between the dozen of us on the beach were the better of 50 past and current named Land Cruisers, all with their own story to tell. Before long "Millennium Death Star Chicken Hawk Falcon", it became the running joke to add another word into the mix hence the long-winded verse. Well, it turns out Paul May's 100 Series was often jokingly dubbed the Millennium Falcon so he suggested the Death Star. It stuck.

The first real road test for the post-build 100 Series was the ~1000 mile round trip from Salt Lake City to SEMA in Las Vegas. ***While this trip would be entirely on pavement, it would offer a reliable test of many of the installed components. Particularly important was the general road handling, I wanted to know what I could expect from the vehicle in its now outfitted and weight laden form. Given the fact our Baja 1000 trip would be around 4500 miles round trip, much of the route on dirt, I wanted to have plenty of time to adjust and tune any items before the big trip. As I optimistically expected, there were zero notable issues with the truck and it was time to start packing. As I noted earlier on in the thread the entire build premise for this vehicle was to serve as a chase vehicle for our desert racing pursuits. Well, that was the motivation to get it done but the truth is I was looking for something a little bigger to replace my Tacoma and the 100 fit the bill. With the build behind us, the truck packed, four gents, and gear loaded into the 100, it was time for Baja. The Baja 1000 race is a story for another thread but the 100 performed perfectly. We rallied the 100 up and down the Baja peninsula, often along sections of the race track chasing the action. It soaked up the nastiest washboard roads, floated over the sandy beaches and powered up and down the long grades back to Utah. One of the most notable impressions I can relay about long distance driving in the 100's lack of driver fatigue. I absolutely love driving my similarly built Tacoma but I feel like a 12 hour day behind the wheel would leave me somewhat jaded. Whereas I think I could do the same drive in the 100 and come out a bit more on the spruce side? Combine the additional space, smooth handling and much decreased road noise and I think I'm really going to like this rig in the years to come.

So the build has been complete for for over 6 months now, what do I plan to do next?

Gearing: Still on the fence here. I don't often feel like it is under geared in fact even heavily loaded it still moves up the canyons. However I think the gears could get the shift points back where they belong and perhaps pick up a little extra fuel economy. Who am I kidding, the extra ooomph would be nice. That said I did recently pick up a new-in-box TRD Supercharger for the 2UZFE, perhaps that will seal the fate on the re-gear conundrum?

Additional Fuel Capacity:
The factory setup offers a fair fuel range however long road trips really have me wanting additional fuel capacity. As luck would have it a friend pointed me to a Front Runner 16 gallon auxiliary tank that had never been installed. It is now sitting in the shop waiting for a slow day. While there are bigger options on the market that I would prefer, the price was right with this one and 16 gallons will be a welcome addition.

Follow-up projects: There were several items I addressed after the build was complete. Obviously it needed an alignment, Big-O supplied not only the tires but they did a solid job on the alignment, it runs smooth and true even at what some might consider excessive speeds. I didn't have my communication equipment lined up for the initial build weekend but they were installed shortly thereafter. After minor delegation I installed a Kenwood dual band HAM and Cobra CB, similar setups to those in my other vehicles although a much more modern HAM.

With that said I'm done. I'll continue to maintain and upgrade things as needed but I simply plan to continue to use it. Feel free to holler if you have any questions or ideas for the build, I'll do my best to answer and of course I'm always up for pointers or suggestions.

Time lapse build video coming shortly In the meantime, more pics :cool:

death_star_1_sm.JPG

death_star_2_sm.JPG

death_star_3_sm.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk