Project Hundy Build Thread - 2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Nice Kurt...Did you build your moto carrier or did you buy it?

Sharp rig!

I purchased the main rack. It didn't come with a ramp of any variety so I was able to track down a narrow piece of aluminum C-channel that fit right in this one. Using a couple of pins to attach the ramp to the main channel thus allowing relatively easy one person load and unload. I'm going to have to make some changes to use it with my 100 as they swings won't open all the way with the rack installed. I'm going to lower it 2" and beef up the main hitch (hopefully tighten up the slop) at the same time. I have a little 3-bike trailer I use if the misses comes out but for a single bike this is by far the easiest option. I've probably used it 50 times in the last 5 years and haven't had to fix it yet :D

cruiseroutfit

Death Start Part #5 - All hands on deck!

By 9am Saturday morning it was game on. Help was arriving in masses and soon we had over a dozen pairs of hands at my disposal. Drawers were under construction at the hands of Scott and Devin meanwhile Ryan and Corey were rocking out the dual battery and winch wiring under the hood, Paul rocked out the assembly of the tracks for the roof rack and Darren and Dave helped Paul lift the new rack into position. While dodging the action, Jason and Chris were installing the step-sliders and side-rails. Stephen was installing the Landtank fan clutch. Between those items we are able to torque the front suspension and mount the front wheels. The Slee skid plates were the last item for the day, we had to make some quick mods to the belly skid to work with the ARB step-sliders and deal with a broken bolt in the frame.

Saturday Build Photos:

sat_1.jpg

Rear Drawer Construction & Install

sat_2.jpg

ARB Step & Side Rail Assembly

sat_3.JPG

Paul supervises the Eezi-Awn roof rack install

sat_4.jpg

Ryan & Cory rocking out the dual batteries and winch wiring

sat_5.jpg

The full crew overview

sat_6.JPG

Arms deep on the winch install

sat_7.JPG

Starting to take shape

sat_8.JPG

Rear cargo setup fleshing out

sat_9.jpg

Progress continues!

To Do List By End of Day 2 (Saturday 8AM - Sunday 2AM):

Inventory Parts X
Break wheel lug nuts X
Rear End on Jack Stands X
Remove Rear Tires X
Rear Stock Shocks & Coils Removed X
Rear OME Suspension Installation X
Rear Tires Mounted X
Rear End Lowered & Rear Tires Torqued X
Remove Front Bumper X
LandTank Fan Clutch Installation X
Front End on Jack Stands X
Stock Skid Plate Removed X
Stock Shocks Removed X
Stock Torsion Bars Removed X
OME Shocks & Torsion Bars Installed X
Slee Diff Drop Kit Installed X
OME Torsion Bars Adjusted
Front Tires Mounted X
Front End Lowered & Front Tires Torqued X
Stock Trans Cross Member Remov Xed
Slee Skid Plates Installed X
Install ARB Front Bumper X
Warn Winch Installed in Bump Xer
IPF Lights on Bumper X
Remove Stock Roof Rack X
Remove Stock Rear Bumper X
Install ARB Rear Bumper X
Assemble & Install ARB Wheel Carrier X
Assemble & Install ARB Jerry Can Holder X
Rough Electrical to Rear X
Rear 3rd Row Seats & Seatbelts Removed X
Outback Drawer System Installed X
Finalize ARB Fridge Wiring & Aux power outlets
Install ARB Fridge
Remove Stock Battery X
Install Slee Dual Battery Tray X
Install Optimas X
National Luna Dual Battery System Installation X
Remove Factory Running Boards X
Install ARB Side Steps & Side Rails X
Install Eezi-Awn Roof Rack X
Safari Snorkel Installation X
Helton Hot Shower System Installation

F5driver

Adventurer
100 was on bike hauler duty this weekend in Moab, couldn't be happier. The seat heater did wonders on a sore body after a couple days of absolutely brutal trail riding (Sovereign, Salt Wash and Cliffhanger)

100_moab_bike.jpg

Any suspension mods required to handle the weight of the bike? I'm thinking that much weight would require airbags on my 100.

cruiseroutfit

Any suspension mods required to handle the weight of the bike? I'm thinking that much weight would require airbags on my 100.

I'm running the OME Heavy 'Plus' rear coils. It works out quite nicely because if I have the added weight of the bike, then I am usually rolling solo or just my wife along, so light cargo load in the back. On the flip side, on trips I have 4 adults and full gear in the back, I wouldn't have my bike along or I'd be pulling a small trailer with the bikes. It handles just fine with the bike attached however I do need to mod the bike carrier so that I can fully open my swings with it installed, by lowering it ~2" I'd be in the clear, as is now I have to take the carrier off (single pin) to open the carriers. This was the inaugural trip with this carrier on my 100, I've used it quite regularly on the back of my Tacoma with great results.

bossman429

Adventurer
Great build and very inspiring for my own. I'd stay away from the supercharger. Not that the engine couldn't handle it, but your complicating a system that doesn't need complicating

Few questions: where do you mount your fresh water supply for the shower, or is it just something that can be connected via the quick connects and then removed when your done. Does it have a inline pump that's hard wired?

Any plans for an aux fuel tank for extended range?

cruiseroutfit

Great build and very inspiring for my own. I'd stay away from the supercharger. Not that the engine couldn't handle it, but your complicating a system that doesn't need complicating

But human nature requires complication :D

My 04 Tacoma has had the TRD supercharger since day one and I'll admit it has added some minor complication however it has proven well worth it. Now, the 4.7L of the 100 doesn't quite need the improving to stay useful so I do plan to give it some serious thought.

Few questions: where do you mount your fresh water supply for the shower, or is it just something that can be connected via the quick connects and then removed when your done. Does it have a inline pump that's hard wired?

There are many ways to plumb and use the Helton systems but I use the same simple system I have been using on my FJ40 for nearly 10 years and have become very used to on my Tacoma. I simply plug the pump (built into the pickup unit) into the cold port on my bumper and place the pickup in the water source. Generally I use a 20L Scepter MWC, I can get ~4 conservative camp showers out of each can. If we are near clean water, I have a collapsible bucket that simplifies the solution further. Some do hard mount a Sureflow or Flowjet style pump and pull from a tank, perfect solution but my water needs are fairly limited, I just need to wash the filth off.

Any plans for an aux fuel tank for extended range?

Yes, in fact that is a high priority for the next round of mods and likely the next thing I will do. I couldn't get the tank in time for our 48 hr marathon build weekend or I likely would have done so. I'm in Aus currently and am hoping to get a minute to stop by one of the long range tank manufactures I have been in communication with, carry-on luggage? ;)

bossman429

Adventurer
Very cool. I did some more research on those systems since I posted and I agree, I think a can or bucket of water is all you need. I'm a big fan of K.I.S.S. (keep it simple stupid!)

Let me know if your seriously thinking about bringing back some aux tanks. I'm in the market for one.

bossman429

Adventurer
I'm back on US soil and didn't have a chance to stop by the tank manufactures, obviously the carry-on was a joke and there is a 95% chance I will go with a Long Range from Outback Proven: http://outbackproven.com/c-324180-long-range-tanks-long-range-fuel-tanks-accessories.html

Haha give me some credit - i know its hard to pick up on Jokes via a post but i got that one lol Just wasn't sure if you were going to make some relationships and think about bringing a few in. Its always nice to know you have a couple sold before starting that venture.

They look nice but $1340 is alot of coin (plus shipping ouch!). I'm hoping that comes with everything you need for the hook up (filler necks, hoses etc..)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk