Project Hundy Build Thread - 2000 UZJ100 Land Cruiser

mph

Expedition Leader
Nope, you can have one :D

There should have been one in your gray shower bag but it might have been left out? No biggy, I have a pile of them here. Its nice to attach it to your side window or fender. Swing by and its all yours.

Thanks! Much appreciated!

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Back from another road trip in the Death Star. I had four adults and gear for a trip to King of the Hammers. We were serving as chase and pit support for a good friend of ours in the Every Man Challenge race. I finalized my HAM (Kenwood TM-D710 with MARS/CAP mod) prior to departing for the race and the setup proved 100% successful. I ended up mounting the main unit to the drawer unit just behind the drivers side rear seat. All the wiring is under the carpet and trim with the face plate attached to a Panavise/Ram mount on the dash. We built a custom mic mount on the side of the center console, offers a real clean look when not in use and out of the way when in use.

We found one major need... more USB ports. I have two in the rear drawer side panels that were installed right next to the 12V outlet and fridge outlet, however when gear is stacked deep you can't have easy access to them. With 4 adults, i.e. 4 phones, 4 ipods, 4 cameras, etc... outlets become a premium and stretching cords from the front seat to the back seat is a pain and cluttery. I've got one more of the BlueSea USB twin outlet setups I had planned to install in the front dash somewhere but I think instead I'm going to install it in the back of the center console? Preferably in a fashion that doesn't interfere with the drink holders? I may play with that a bit tomorrow.

Lastly, I'm still working on some build thread details for part# 4 of my formal write-up :D

r3run33

Adventurer
let us know what you come up with for the USB ports; by the way do already have a dual battery setup? how about an inverter?

cruiseroutfit

let us know what you come up with for the USB ports; by the way do already have a dual battery setup? how about an inverter?

Will do.

I do have a dual battery system, Optima in a Slee tray controlled by the National Luna system. All of my accessories are wired to the second battery via a Blue Sea aux. fuse block on the firewall. I have an inverter I often bring along but I don't use it often. I had considered hard mounting the inverter and flush mounting some outlets in the back but I have so few 120V needs that it never happened. As I review the electronics that get packed along on my trips, nearly every one of them charges with a USB these days, just a few using even the traditional 12V cigarette lighter style outlet. I've currently got 5 12V outlets, 2 USB outlets, and a single ARB 12V fridge outlet. I think with the addition of the 2 additional USB's in the second row I'll have all the bases covered. I'll be sure to update what I come up with.

CAP650

Observer
Great build thread! I am currently giving some very, very serious thought into selling my '08 Tacoma and getting into a 100 series and am loving your write-up. I noticed you went with the aluminum Slee skids where available, which look like a huge weight savings. What is your feeling on their durability VS the steel?

cruiseroutfit

Great build thread! I am currently giving some very, very serious thought into selling my '08 Tacoma and getting into a 100 series and am loving your write-up. I noticed you went with the aluminum Slee skids where available, which look like a huge weight savings. What is your feeling on their durability VS the steel?

I think it's fair to say the steel will likely survive hard hits with more resolve however the weight savings, and lack of corrosion (rust) were the overall selling point for me and I'm willing to have to repair them if/when they get damaged from a hard hit. I run steel skids on my Tacoma and Land Cruisers and I can see both sides of the argument. Whereas my FJ40 is primarily built for harder routes, rocks, etc... steel is there to stay. However I run the Bud Built steel skids on my Tacoma and I've often wished I would have opted for his aluminum option. I might have a few extra dings in them from years of abuse but the weight savings is pretty significant. Clear as mud :D

CAP650

Observer
Yeah, clear as mud! I have steel skids on my Tacoma, so I know they are tough and I don't hesitate to drop on then because I know they are there and are strong. I don't think I'd be beating a 100 like I do the Tacoma, so I think aluminum could be a good light weight option to provide some protection in a moderate hit or skid. It's hard to get an idea how strong the aluminum is without handling them in person.

cruiseroutfit

Yeah, clear as mud! I have steel skids on my Tacoma, so I know they are tough and I don't hesitate to drop on then because I know they are there and are strong. I don't think I'd be beating a 100 like I do the Tacoma, so I think aluminum could be a good light weight option to provide some protection in a moderate hit or skid. It's hard to get an idea how strong the aluminum is without handling them in person.

I think you would be pleasantly surprised to see just how stout the aluminum skids are, I have no hesitation they will protect my undercarriage assets :D

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
Haven't been online much since October, just saw this build. Nice job Kurt. Been going back and forth over getting a hundy or not the past couple of years. Your build here is a great resource for those of us contemplating needs in a build. Appreciate you taking the time to put all of your thoughts down like this.

Curious, maybe I missed it, but have you weighed the rig after the build? My thought for building a hundred has been to try to keep it as light as possible to preserve economy and reduce wear and tear. Some things are more important and needed than others. The prospect of going minimalist had me scratching my head as to what I could get away without. Being someone who travels solo 95% of the time, it's the recovery points/gear that seems to be the big complicator of the equation. It definately is a slippery slope of adding money and weight.

cruiseroutfit

Hey Kristian, glad your enjoying the thread.

I've not weighed it as of yet but I'm not expecting anything short of heavy :D I'll be sure to post some numbers as soon as I do get it across the scale.

cruiseroutfit

Updates and lack of updates :D

Still working on the next installment of the build thread with pics but I did install some new HIR low range bulbs from Candlepower. A very noticeable improvement over the dismal bulbs I had in there previously.

Had a nice weekend with the 100 in Great Salt Lake Desert this last weekend with the crew from ExpedtionUtah. One word summary of trip = cold :D

20130217_155116 (Medium).jpg

r3run33

Adventurer
kurt I have been following your build and taking notes; I have posted another tread about lockers. do you have both front and rear lockers???

cruiseroutfit

kurt I have been following your build and taking notes; I have posted another tread about lockers. do you have both front and rear lockers???

Center diff lock only, nothing in the axles... yet. I've got several options I'm deliberating. OEM e-lock rear and ARB front or ARB front and rear. The ARB install is easier, I have a good source for them :D and I already have the compressor wired up. I can knock out each axle in a day or so. The biggest hang up is the re-gear conundrum. There are definitely times when 4.88's would be nice, but the stock 4.30's have been surprisingly decent even on the trips I've had it super loaded. One more twist, I was offered a NIB Toyota supercharger for a smoking deal. Death wish on a 165k 2UZ?

Can we have more pics? That thing looks great!

More pics coming with the next build installment but here is one to hold you over, from Baja late last fall:
Toleman_B1K_03.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk