Project T100: "Baja Explorer Ver. 2"

Super Doody

Explorer
Wow..thats a lot of work and determination. I would've just brought a shorter board. But its always a good idea to bring something longer on the small days to maximize your water time. :sombrero:

ericvs

very, very cool build. I just picked up a canopy and am trying to envision what I want it to look like. this is pretty close, haha. Just a thought for your long boards on the roof, I am not affiliated, but check out the Inno locking surfboard racks. A buddy of mine uses them for his SUP on the roof of his Passat and that thing lives up there all the time. you can lock both front and back strap and it looks like it will hold two SUPs so you shouldn't have any problem with your longboards.
http://www.innoracks.com/details/ina724/
You could also probably just see this picture and build your own, however. haha.
Great!

surftrip

wow this is hands down my favorite toyota surf mobile I have seen. I really like your bumper and surfboard rack. How long is your longboard? 9'0? Looks like a really fun shape. This thread gets me frothing for a baja trip! I really like your rolling rear window because I have a double cab tacoma w/ the short bed and I have to put my short boards in sideways in the bed to fit and longboards hang out the back. Again man this is an awesome truck!

upcountry

Explorer
Afraid of competition in the lineup? Fearfull that he might outpaddle you and get deeper on the drop? I love it when people get territorial. Just shows their lazy and unwilling to step it up.

d
Baja surf sucks... I wouldn't go down there... its ****.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
wow. the rear window is awesome. i think every truck should have that imo. the entire build is awesome. cant wait to see more and love how you did just bout all the work

G100

Adventurer
Side Bar Table

Thanks for the kind words and input guys.

surftrip: I think it is 8'10, wife's board.
BajaRunner: I hear ya, just keep telling everyone that.
UpCountry: Its just a joke, he just wants to get it alone, just like me.

Well, finally got to working on the side bar table.

SideTable_01s.jpg

It is a piece of popular wood I think 13" wide, I sprayed the bottom with lacquer to waterproof it then laminated the top and sides with some formica that was laying around at work. The formica is so nice it cleans up so easy its like have a kitchen counter top while your camping. Put some bracket on the side to clip some little caribeaners to. I use the chain so that if my truck isn't level I can move the caribeaner up or down a link or two. It is held up in the back with just a piece of aluminum angle iron stuck into the crack between the shell and the bed rail. As long as there is a little bit of weight on it pushing down it is pretty secure. The angle iron sticks up above the formica on the back edge about a 3/16ths of an inch and with a bead of silicone it prevents any liquid from draining off the back edge on to the truck. The whole things is super quick and easy to pull out and set up, it is usually the first thing I do when I need to unload, well second thing, first I crack beer, then I set up the bar top so I have a nice place to put my beer.

SideTable_02s.jpg
SideTable_03s.jpg

I built a quick preliminary setup of a raised up piece of ply sitting on some 2x4s so that my awning arms and side bar table fit underneath. The biggest reason for this is the awning and the bar top are the always the last things to put away when packing up and usually the first things I pull out. Second it makes my bed way more comfy and warmer with the mattress on a raised flat surface rather than on the cold corrugated truck bed. Third, I realized my fresh water fishing poles can be nicely stored out of the way, very nice.

Couple shots using it on a recent trip to Owen's Valley.

SideTable_04s.jpg

SideTable_05s.jpg

Just a note: I think some new rubber and rims are in my near future, can't wait.

G100

Adventurer
Merry Christmas to me

It is a Merry Christmas indeed!

Before:
before02.jpg

After:
After02.jpg

265/75/16 BFG AT KOs on American Racing Mojave Teflons

After03.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads