Purchased an Expedition G Wagen

Patriot

Observer
Awesome pics!

Greetings Gents,

I just got back from a nice little solo 9 day road trip in the camper. It ended up being 2000 miles total with 1600 being on dirt roads in NM and AZ. I ended up crossing 13 mountain ranges, mostly in the snow. Attached are a few pics.

You'll see I've done a few mods to the camper. The big one is that I'm no longer carrying the dual spares on the roof; it handles better without them. With the help of a friend and his CNC plasma cutter I made a nice rear end tire/tool carrier. I also added the bush cables to the front of the vehicle. I'm surprised at how much the cables actually got used along with the rub rails along the top edge of the camper. Once I'm done with all the modifications to the exterior rail/bumper system I'll pull everything and paint it.

Inside I completely redid the wiring of all dual battery/auxiliary electrical loads using a Blue Sea System fuse block and 4 position battery selector switch. While doing this I upgraded the wiring between both batteries using a 2/0 gauge wire size. The simple system is now bombproof and I was able to avoid any "smart" charging apparatus. I can now jump start myself with the flick of a switch.

I have to give a sincere thanks to Maxtraxx. I tried blowing thru deep snow while crossing the Plains of San Augustine (no trees or shrubs to winch off of) and ended up high centered on my skid plates. The Maxtraxx made quick work of the situation and I was on my way.

My mechanic was correct, the 290GDT's power is even more insane below 2000'.

William

Scott Brady

Founder
Great trip report. This looks like fun! Maxtrax have saved my bacon a few times too.
attachment.php

McBride

Adventurer
Thanks Scott. From the experience I've learned that the next best thing than a pair of Maxtrax is two pair of Maxtrax. With portal axles I most likely could have made it. The wish list never ends!

William

Overland Hadley

on a journey
From the experience I've learned that the next best thing than a pair of Maxtrax is two pair of Maxtrax.

As the MaxTraxx form the base for my recovery kit, I do carry four. Not only to have one for each wheel, but more for being able to make a short track with them.

McBride

Adventurer
As the MaxTraxx form the base for my recovery kit, I do carry four. Not only to have one for each wheel, but more for being able to make a short track with them.

Exactly. I was fortunate to make it off the skid plates with just one pair. It would be nice if they weren't so expensive.

Unfortunately most of the reviews I've read of the less expensive alternatives aren't positive.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Exactly. I was fortunate to make it off the skid plates with just one pair. It would be nice if they weren't so expensive.

Unfortunately most of the reviews I've read of the less expensive alternatives aren't positive.

Yes they are expensive! But, like with LEDs, you get what you pay for. My hope is that the plastic they are using will hold up in the long term, would be nice if they are still usable in 15-20 years.

I once ran my Subaru into a section of road that was drifted over. With the speed I was carrying I slid on top of the drift for about 100'. It was hell digging down and out. Tought me a good lesson about driving fast on unmainttained spring snow.

imjustdave

Thanks Scott. From the experience I've learned that the next best thing than a pair of Maxtrax is two pair of Maxtrax. With portal axles I most likely could have made it. The wish list never ends!

William

Yeah with portals the ground clearance makes snow so much easier. I'm my old Unimog I was in 3 1/2 feet of virgin snow and had a blast, but the jeeps couldn't reach the ground as the snow was soft. Unfortonatly Unimogs are so tall and slow they are hard to enjoy in a lot of places.

McBride

Adventurer
Well I think that my wife might be looking at this thread. Guess what I got for my birthday .... Another set of Maxtrax!!! Very cool! She's awesome!

It would probably be wise for everybody to post a wish list item every once in a while, somewhere conspicuous - especially around your birthday.

McBride

Adventurer
Yeah with portals the ground clearance makes snow so much easier. I'm my old Unimog I was in 3 1/2 feet of virgin snow and had a blast, but the jeeps couldn't reach the ground as the snow was soft. Unfortonatly Unimogs are so tall and slow they are hard to enjoy in a lot of places.

Indeed. Unimogs are incredible in what they can do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk