Quadrasteer Worked So Great for Chevy, Right? Now Maybe It’s the F250’s Turn

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
[Ok sure. Quadrasteer was great. Perfectly reliable with no major alignment issues. I loved it. Every overland vehicle needs Quadrasteer. Maybe we can band together and get Dodge to adopt it as well.

Quadrasteer-Axle.jpg

Those tie rods were awesome. Look at that thick, super strong rock crushing power. I never changed any of those, ever. Nope. Never waited 4 weeks for those parts either. When I traverse muddy and wet terrain, I love a steering linkage that's right in front of a diff cover, perfect for easy access. And we don't need to install an armored diff cover ever again! The electric motor protects it! Brilliant!

I can't but remember, all the other techs in the GM garage screaming out praise for Quadrasteer. They must have loved it, to cheer like that.]

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
They came in half ton configuration. Most commonly found as a Sierra Denali C3

The truck I drove was a half ton 03 Sierra.

Whoops, my bad, I never knew about the GMC 1500 version. I know the Suburban/Yukon XL only got QS in the 2500 version.

As far as QS itself, I think it's just one of the many examples of a technological "advance" that the market ultimately decided wasn't worth the additional cost and/or complexity.

30 years ago AWD was a novelty and only a small percentage of cars had it. Now it's extremely common. Who knows? maybe in 30 years 4ws will be as common as AWD is today.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Pricing dropped from $5000 to $2000 in 2005. Then again the 15,000 mile axle service interval with $100+ worth of gear oil............

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Got a few. As did the dust bunnies in the body shop. The rear steps out a bit more than people know, and plastic fenders.......

Thrust angle issues are no joke. And it's a safe bet that this option won't be combined with the Ford OEM elocker. I'll take the locker.

This, like Fords adaptive steering, might be ok if you only want to go where a Mercedes Sprinter motorcoach can go, with a box stock truck. But start modifying stuff, for more aggressive use? Forget about it.

Dougnuts

Ha, that Astro van was local and that picture was taken in the Kroger parking lot (Georgetown, Kentuck) a few years ago. I used to see it all the time, but I don’t recall seeing it at all recently.

Regarding quadrasteer, I thought people that owned them really liked them and I remember the commercials too.

shade

Thrust angle issues are no joke. And it's a safe bet that this option won't be combined with the Ford OEM elocker. I'll take the locker.
Good points.

I've no opinion on whether the Ford system is good or bad, but given how sensitive ABS, traction, and stability systems have become, I wouldn't recommend stepping outside an OEM configuration on anything with 4WS.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
It is.

I just left a steel mill that has hardly ever had enough work for half a day shift. Most work was just maintaining idle furnaces. Now they're running 3 shifts 24/7 and semi trucks are lined up 3 miles down the road. New record for them.

I'd like to get a JT now that prices are dropping, but pin striping a brand new Jeep is going to sting, a lot. Maybe I'll wait for them on the used salvage market and swap some 1 tons in, instead. I'll have to convince the missus that she wants a Jeep, though.

Capital E

I think manufacturers patent all kinds of things that they don't really intend on ever putting in a vehicle. It doesn't make this thread any less entertaining but the fact that Ford filed a patent for 4WS doesn't mean much.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
It is.

I just left a steel mill that has hardly ever had enough work for half a day shift. Most work was just maintaining idle furnaces. Now they're running 3 shifts 24/7 and semi trucks are lined up 3 miles down the road. New record for them.

I'd like to get a JT now that prices are dropping, but pin striping a brand new Jeep is going to sting, a lot. Maybe I'll wait for them on the used salvage market and swap some 1 tons in, instead. I'll have to convince the missus that she wants a Jeep, though.
Are JT prices starting to drop? I was wondering when that would happen. I've seen maybe 5-6 in the wild here. I was guessing price was the factor. Seeing lots of Rangers.

phsycle

Adventurer
Are JT prices starting to drop? I was wondering when that would happen. I've seen maybe 5-6 in the wild here. I was guessing price was the factor. Seeing lots of Rangers.

I was interested in a base Sport, 6-sp. Couldn't find one for under $35k, but now, I see some dealers around $30k.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I was interested in a base Sport, 6-sp. Couldn't find one for under $35k, but now, I see some dealers around $30k.
No Sport in Canada. Cheapest model is the Sport S. Even with a 6 speed manual and soft top it was still 55K. A well equipped Ranger Supercrew FX4 is around 41K.

Back on track. I could see benefits to quad steer while trailer towing. Maybe parking. Personally, neither have been an issue for me though so I would avoid the added expense of the option.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat