QuadsBC's 05 Double Cab Tundra Family Expo Build

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Flagstaff?...

Nope, Colebrook, CT another town similar to flagstaff. This is used for downstream flood control. I haven't made my way to flagstaff yet. Wonder how it looks with the lack of rain.

That bridge looks do able!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ankle deep across the bridge and about 1.5' on the other side. I didn't walk across the whole lake but it may be doable. That is, without the boulders blocking someone from trying.

I also dragged a new project home.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Plans... Make it into base camp. Drop the trailer off somewhere and explore the area without all the camping supplies in the truck.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
The year 1967 someone torqued this bolt to that m416 trailer. Today, it was removed. I fully expected to have a terrible time removing the bed and tongue. Only 1 snapped bolt. Most came out very easily. They just don't make steel the way they used to anymore.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Think I'm done with icon suspension, between the crappy rear shock valving and the front shocks blowing a seal at 4000 miles and 4 months old. I probably got a Friday afternoon set. I'm pissed. Was planning on leaving for a trip tomorow exploring madawaska Maine and the Saint John river. Guess it will be a weekend in the driveway.

wrenchMonkey_

Adventurer
That sucks. I've been hearing lots of bad things about Icon over the past few months. Fox does not have it perfect either. King is the one company I rarely head bad things about.

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Wish I could even say it was Ellsworth. But my truck hasn't been out of town all week!

I sent icon a polite review and hope to hear something back. If I don't, I'll be selling them. Here's what I sent:

Really hate to kick you guys I the nuts, maybe my expectations were too high but for the kit that's supposed to be tuned for my truck i find it needs improvement. I've had the kit installed for the past 4 months and have logged about 4000 miles 1000 of it being on dirt roads (it's a huge truck, definitely not a rock crawler).

Build thread : http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...undra-Family-Expo-Build?p=2153769#post2153769

As for suspension, I've actually sold the rear shocks and put fox suspension on. There wasn't enough rear dampening, even unloaded I was getting a bounce and a half after dips in the road. The rear handled potholes just fine, no bounce but really struggled in the dips. All testing was done prior to the rear tire carrier.

The front coilovers I loved the setup. Very even, soaked up large potholes and dips in the road. Only suggestion is to up the spring rate to 700lbs. Even without a heavy winch bumper and armor a little heavier spring would really help hold up the v8 engine.
Recently (today) I ran into an issue with the front suspension. As I was traveling home from work (1.5 miles) I traveled over a man hole cover recessed into the asphalt. My drivers side shock made an unusual clunk. When I got home I found the shock to be dripping with oil. Severely disappointing as I was planning on a 3 day adventure exploring the back woods of Maine departing tomorow morning with friends. Would you be able to help me out? I know nothing will help me make this trip but I'd really like to get my truck back into explore mode. I don't want to change manufacturers, I see plenty of customers more than satisfied with their purchase and I really want to be one of them.

Thank you for your time,
Brendan

AaronK

Explorer
That blows (literally). Hopefully they take good care of you

Sent from my OnePlus One using Tapatalk.

rickashay

Explorer
That sucks... interested to hear what Icon says. I have a local Tundra owner with the same truck as you. He also said the Icons blew very soon. He had them rebuilt and then swapped in some 2.5" Kings and is very happy. I might actually pick up his fresh rebuilt Icons for a song and use them as a temp. coilover when the time comes for me to rebuild my Fox's.

That sucks. I've been hearing lots of bad things about Icon over the past few months. Fox does not have it perfect either. King is the one company I rarely head bad things about.

17,000kms on my Fox's now. No play in the heims and no leaks. Other than the underrated spring, I've been very pleased with them. Will be following with 2.5" Remote Resi's in the rear once I get the leafs dialed in. FWIW

QuadsBC

Adventurer
That sucks... interested to hear what Icon says. I have a local Tundra owner with the same truck as you. He also said the Icons blew very soon. He had them rebuilt and then swapped in some 2.5" Kings and is very happy. I might actually pick up his fresh rebuilt Icons for a song and use them as a temp. coilover when the time comes for me to rebuild my Fox's.

17,000kms on my Fox's now. No play in the heims and no leaks. Other than the underrated spring, I've been very pleased with them. Will be following with 2.5" Remote Resi's in the rear once I get the leafs dialed in. FWIW

I called icon today, Todd said I'd have to send it in.I pay for shipping there and they would rebuild them that day and ship back overnight. Because it's warrantee work it would be pushed to the front of the line. I asked if I could have both rebuilt to keep them even for maintenance. He said I could send both in. Same thing I d pay shipping there. I also asked about swapping in a 700lbs spring, 120 per spring free labor. I don't have any armor right now. I'm leaning toward running a 700 spring with the possibility of armor in the future. Think it's worth it?

If I have any more problems after the rebuild I'm going to sell them.

I'm going to have to do something different with the rear springs. I have 3" of bump travel in the rear. I can feel the rear hitting bump stops with dips in the road.

I don't see a purpose of picking up the used icons. If your truck isn't a dd, plan the rebuild between trips and set it on jack stands. Mines a dd but I'll be riding my bike to work this next week.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Glad they are willing to fix it. They should cover all shipping cost but I guess that's how it is. If you have a lot of preload on 650lbs springs than jumping up to 700 could reduce the preload.
Wonder if they actually will rebuild both lol or clean one up really good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Yeah, part of me agrees they should cover shipping, the other part sees their side. If it is a warrantee issue they should reimburse, however if it turns out not to be warrantee its on you. I'm going to see if they can hook me up with some coilover covers and a spanner because F me:

rickashay

Explorer
Coilover covers are unreal. I'll peel mine off and grab a photo. Some people say they trap grime and moisture but they are not sealed units so I've never understood that logic. They are just good for keeping mud and flying rocks off the shafts and I'm sure help keep the seals in better shape because of it.

I'd personally do the 700s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater