Question on TreadWright

idaxj97

Adventurer
I was wondering if anybody as tried any of their tires they goy good prices i was just wondering if anybody tried these tires.

grobinson

Adventurer
I've got them on my Discovery I, and love them so much that I would replace them with another set. They ride very well, perform extremely well off-road, and yes you can still air them down. If you do go through with ordering them, there is a comments section that you can indicate you'd like matching sidewalls. Not necessary, but nice to have.

Those who own them, at least the research I've done, will say nothing but good things. Others may have other opinions, but I've driven on the highway, secondary roads, and off-road just fine. There is nothing wrong with retreaded tires, as in the UK they are used quiet often.

tommudd

Explorer
I used to work in a retread shop and ran many over the years, this was even back before radials,
Treadwright from everything I have seen and heard have a great product, I am currently waiting for them to get some 265-70-16 BFG casings in for me so I can try them myself

Storz

Explorer
I've been reading up on them as well and plan to order a set of OTRs in 235/85/16 for my Disco after the holidays.

OTR

Adventurer
Wow! I could save a whopping 60% on my next tires. Does any one have anymore feedback on retreaded tires. Or even any pros and cons with retreads.

mstrkage

I am running 33/12.5/15 green diamonds on my XJ right now and I must say they are awesome. I have aired them down to 6psi and ran them all day just fine, they grip rocks really well do just as well as any other m/t in mud.
Just last week I got my first chance to test them on ice and they performed really well. 4wheel was only needed to get up a steep hill from a dead stop.
They are noticeably retreads, you can see on my mickey casings where they shaved the top of the sidewall and the seam along the edges is very noticeable. But I don't mind.
Great tires, if I remember right I paid 480 or so shipped to my door.

grobinson

Adventurer
Storz said:
I've been reading up on them as well and plan to order a set of OTRs in 235/85/16 for my Disco after the holidays.

Same exact tires I'm running on my Disco, and they performed unbelievably on a 4 day expedition I did from North to South of Vermont.

I haven't even noticed the difference on wet roads, but if you do or want to be cautious, it would be possible to sipe them with a heat knife.

grobinson

Adventurer
OTR said:
Wow! I could save a whopping 60% on my next tires. Does any one have anymore feedback on retreaded tires. Or even any pros and cons with retreads.

Pros:
-Cheap, in cost that is
-Cheap, in cost, even shipped to your door
-Same or better performance as any other similar tread pattern
-Did I mention, they're a great price?
-The tires I got could also be made to be studded. Treadwright doesn't do this, but you'd need to do it yourself.

Cons:
-Could take some balancing to get them just right, but mine balanced out fairly well
-Don't expect tread life to see the same as a regular tire, but in my research they could last in upwards of 35,000 miles +/-

I wouldn't necessarily recommend their Ultras (extra grip) version of the tires, as all it is is the rubber compound mixed with walnuts. That's what the rep told me over the phone at least, so that came directly from them. And here's the documentation of that http://www.treadwright.com/images/Ultra Grip_Ultra Grip.pdf

mstrkage

The ulta's do have the walnut shell in them, it is crushed and blended rather well into the tire. Mine have the walnut shell and so far I see no issues caused by the mixing the shell into the rubber. The do rather well on wet or icy roads, better than my last set of bfg m/ts. I kind of expected the shell to cause the rubber to chunk, but so far no issues at all.

Storz

Explorer
grobinson said:
Same exact tires I'm running on my Disco, and they performed unbelievably on a 4 day expedition I did from North to South of Vermont.

Got any pictures?

Storz

Explorer
grobinson said:
Funny you ask, as I just so happen to have one

Nice, are you running a lift of any sort to clear them? I have OME HD springs/shocks on my truck and am pretty sure they should clear but just want to make sure before ordering them.

Any side/profile shots of the truck with them on there?

Thanks!

grobinson

Adventurer
Storz said:
Nice, are you running a lift of any sort to clear them? I have OME HD springs/shocks on my truck and am pretty sure they should clear but just want to make sure before ordering them.

Any side/profile shots of the truck with them on there?

Thanks!

I don't have any somewhat close ups with them, but here is one with the tire stuffed up nicely. Taken during our club's Trans-Vermont Expedition.

I'm running approx a 2" lift. Specifically Ironman, which is OME's competitor in Australia. You'll be fine, even without the need for trimming. It's just shy of a 32" tire. At full flex I don't have any rubbing, and you can adjust the steering stops perfectly, so at full lock you don't get rubbing on the radius arms.

Attachments

• tires.JPG
    tires.JPG
    350.5 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Storz

Explorer
grobinson said:
I don't have any somewhat close ups with them, but here is one with the tire stuffed up nicely. Taken during our club's Trans-Vermont Expedition.

I'm running approx a 2" lift. Specifically Ironman, which is OME's competitor in Australia. You'll be fine, even without the need for trimming. It's just shy of a 32" tire. At full flex I don't have any rubbing, and you can adjust the steering stops perfectly, so at full lock you don't get rubbing on the radius arms.

Good to know, thank for the pictures. Looks like a sweet trip, I poked around on the website linked in your sig a bit. I like the RRC wheels as well :)

idaxj97

Adventurer
holy crap i posted this thread less than 24hrs ago and i come back from work to read all of this. thanks guys you all answered all of the questions that were bothering me thanks again. i think my next set will be retreads and i think ill go with the goodyear wranglers. so thanks again guys.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk