Quickup Camper

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
The Innovan is a great design, but this one would be easier to replicate in nidacore:
gal08.jpg

http://www.highrise.com.au/

Cheers
Mark

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
VikingVince said:
?????...That's exactly how the flippac functions. With a flippac, the interior of the truck bed functions the same as a shell when you're not camping. (with all the same amount of space as a shell).

The Flip-pac, yes but I don't know about this Quickup camper. No windows would make it harder to see and I wonder how much the "hardware" intrudes into the usable space of the shell. Plus it looks like it's very heavy.

Clutch

<---Pass
Martinjmpr said:
The Flip-pac, yes but I don't know about this Quickup camper. No windows would make it harder to see and I wonder how much the "hardware" intrudes into the usable space of the shell. Plus it looks like it's very heavy.

Don't really need side windows for regular driving...(use your side mirriors!:D)

Only 800 lbs, dry, I like it, looks sorta 70's modular, or IKEAish when up.

Is it even for sale? I can't find any prices on it, looks like it was just an architect project. I'll e-mail the guy.

Looks like alot windows when up, this dude looks happy. Heck of alot of interior space when open.

jbinside.jpg

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Martinjmpr said:
Uh, "only" 800lbs?

My shell and all the crap I carried with me to Utah didn't weigh half that much.

I don't think 800 lbs is too bad, it what a FWC roughly weighs. My Wildernest is what, around 350? I am sure if I built the interior with a stove, fridge, cabinets, etc. It would be near the 800 pound mark.

Different strokes for different folks. If I had a choice between the Quick Up and a FWC, I think I would go for the Quick Up because of the low profile. Which I would compare those two together, instead of compairing it to a Wildernest or Flip-Pac.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Kermit wrote:

Is it even for sale? I can't find any prices on it, looks like it was just an architect project. I'll e-mail the guy.

Thanks for doing so, Kermit; let us know what you learn, though it sounds from the earlier posts like the inventor hasn't got anyone to make it. (Anyone know where the guy is located?)

I kinda like it, too. Low, reasonably light and goes in a stock truck. It is what it is, but it let's you bed down inside hard surfaces without compromising the truck too much. Might be nice if you could actually buy one.

BTW, this is a great thread. It's very cool to see the different examples of what designers can come up with without requiring a dedicated chassis. Keep 'em comin'.

Mike Hiscox
'77/'95 UNIMOG 416 DoKa Expedition Camper (for sale)
2005 mid/tall 2500 Sprinter Expedition Camper

VikingVince

Explorer
Thanks Mark...I hadn't seen this before. It's virtually exactly what I had in mind and it's not overpriced with a base price of $29K Australian. Now why can't someone make that in theUSA in that same price range? I guess there's no reason one couldn't ship a flatbed American truck (alleviates all emission issues) to Australia and have one put on...and then do an Australian trip while you're there! I can't imagine there would be any issues with bringing it back to the USA, other than paying duty on it...right?
Or maybe you could just ship one to the USA.

OutbacKamper said:
The Innovan is a great design, but this one would be easier to replicate in nidacore:
gal08.jpg

http://www.highrise.com.au/

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Well, I frittered away part of the afternoon googling stuff about the Quickup Camper and the inventor, J. Baldwin. He's done a whole bunch of stuff; there's a Wikipedia article detailing his accomplishments at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Baldwin

As was said, an interesting fellow. Way more famous than most of us will ever be, and very revered as a clever person with revolutionary ideas.

Which, I suspect, is part of the problem. It's clear from what I read that Mr. Baldwin sees the Quickup Camper as a means of revolutionizing the RV industry and getting us out of those giant non-aerodynamic truck campers. He also thinks that a lot of the problems with getting the Quickup to market have to do with the lack of vision on the part of big manufacturers, along with their sensible desire to not obsolete their current products. (Indeed, he began Real Big, working to get Ford to market it; Ford gave him the F150 and space at the 2001 SEMA show, but that's as far as it went.)

Thus, I doubt that it'll attract his interest much if one of us approaches him with a plan to make twenty of them for lean and mean expedition camper rigs. And that's a shame, 'cuz the more I think about the size, reasonable weight and other advantages, the more I think it could be a pretty trick solution.

I trust Mr. Baldwin won't mind if I link to a few additional photos of the Quickup from the Inhabit.com website.

kwikup2.jpg

kwikup.jpg

kwikup4.jpg

Mike Hiscox
'77/'95 UNIMOG 416 DoKa Expedition Camper (for sale)
2005 mid/tall 2500 Sprinter Expedition Camper

OutbacKamper

Supporting Sponsor
VikingVince said:
Thanks Mark...I hadn't seen this before. It's virtually exactly what I had in mind and it's not overpriced with a base price of $29K Australian. Now why can't someone make that in theUSA in that same price range? I guess there's no reason one couldn't ship a flatbed American truck (alleviates all emission issues) to Australia and have one put on...and then do an Australian trip while you're there! I can't imagine there would be any issues with bringing it back to the USA, other than paying duty on it...right?
Or maybe you could just ship one to the USA.

Vince;
I visited the factory and talked to the owner/inventor for several hours in 2006. I was quite seriously trying to get him to allow me to build the tray back highrise model under license for the North American market (with various modifications to suit our conditions). He had already sold the rights to Kimberly to build a modified version of the highrise trailer design (called the Kimberly Karavan). He was in negotiation with another person from North America who was interested in importing the tray back model as is. For various reasons this would not be practical IMHO.
To make a long story short....He was too busy building the existing models, for the Oz market, to bother with any kind of North American deal.
The great thing about the tray back model is that it could easily be put on a trailer (very much like the Innovan):
20.jpg

Cheers
Mark

jcbrandon

Explorer
2aroundtheworld said:
I am pretty sure I saw this camper (and the owner) at the Maker's Fair in San Mateo last year.

That's where I saw it, and him, this past weekend. At the Maker Faire, in San Mateo.

The Quickup is a hand-built prototype. He is looking for investors or other opportunities to take it to market.

Try spinning up flickr.com and search for "Quickup Maker Faire".

ZR2nit

Adventurer
I just watched every video on the INNOVAN. That thing is awesome. It really is to bad things like that are not made in the USA. I mean I laughed at it when I first saw it and thought "whatever there no way in hell I would own one of those!!!" Well I'm here to say that if it wasn't for my brother being in a wheelchair and the fact that we need a camper with a bit more room I would buy one of those things in a heartbeat if it was available in the U.S.

That thing is completely awesome and very innovative. I congratulate all the U.S manufactures of offroad campers but to be honest "WE" meaning Americans are way behind the said "power curve" when it comes to offroad campers."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3