Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Ravenmad

Observer
Goodies for the overland truck. I bought my own radio instead of using the free Kenwood.

Icom ID 5100A (with the mars mod)
Alpha Delta Coax switch
Bought a decent mount to place the detachable head unit on the dash were it can be accessed easily.
Diamond Antenna coax and base for the small mobile antenna and a heavy duty version for the "base antenna" when we are on a mountain top some were. Small mobile antenna is a 3.8db on the VHF side and the large antenna for base opps. is a 8db.

Submitted the paperwork, paid my money and got my FRS / GMRS license, should be taking my Ham test this month as well. Gotta pay the man his money and play the right way if you don't want them to take it away. I should be adding a good mobile Ham setup this month hopefully.

Attachments

• 5365_1546299765788.jpeg
    5365_1546299765788.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 20190101_150401.jpg
    20190101_150401.jpg
    551 KB · Views: 59

TNSG

Goodies for the overland truck. I bought my own radio instead of using the free Kenwood.

Icom ID 5100A (with the mars mod)
Alpha Delta Coax switch
Bought a decent mount to place the detachable head unit on the dash were it can be accessed easily.
Diamond Antenna coax and base for the small mobile antenna and a heavy duty version for the "base antenna" when we are on a mountain top some were. Small mobile antenna is a 3.8db on the VHF side and the large antenna for base opps. is a 8db.

Submitted the paperwork, paid my money and got my FRS / GMRS license, should be taking my Ham test this month as well. Gotta pay the man his money and play the right way if you don't want them to take it away. I should be adding a good mobile Ham setup this month hopefully.

Dang! Just saw a review of the ID5100a by KC5HWB on his YouTube channel, real nice! Who did your mod? I have a IC7000 that I need to get the MARS mod. Putting a commo box together.
6ea9ae84b67fbddc62669e08fcf98f12.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Looking great. Do you need a ham license to run those radios?

I need to get with you and figure out my setup for when I move back to the west coast.

Ravenmad

Observer
Dang! Just saw a review of the ID5100a by KC5HWB on his YouTube channel, real nice! Who did your mod? I have a IC7000 that I need to get the MARS mod. Putting a commo box together.
6ea9ae84b67fbddc62669e08fcf98f12.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I picked it up from Ham Radio Outlet (manager is a marine and we had a good talk). They also gave me a good discount, really nice guys at the Denver store.

Last edited:

silvrzuki77

explorer
Going to have to look into that unit... we ran in to trouble on a recent outing with portables.

Truck is looking great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravenmad

Observer
I like it because I can monitor 2 channels at the same time, Im getting older so the large remote screen is a plus, touch screen is nice, it was Mars Mod'able so now it'll do all the way down to FRS, it has 3 separate power settings so if I run it on an FRS freak or want to use it for trail coms I can turn the power down to 5watts. It has GPS, and a metric ton of other stuff. Listen, there will always be better radios just like there will always be better parts for our trucks. This particular radio was great for me so its what I'm going to run and I could afford it. Just my way of thinking I suppose. In the end, como equipment is a type of tech, so more money gets you nicer gear.

Ravenmad

Observer
Yes that radio needs a ham license.

Yes, you absolutely do. I went online (with some help from members of the forum), did the paperwork and paid my $70. to get the GMRS / FRS side of it done ( WRCT279 ). Started studying and will take my Ham test this month. Their are some technicalities when it comes to operating on the commercial frequencies (off-road races that are sanctioned like King of the Hammers). In the end, I know people who skirt the laws, me, I would just rather do my best to make things right. I got some great input / guidance from Phreak480 and a couple others concerning como and the legality of its applications and usage. For the help I am very grateful ( I prefer to keep people around me that are SME's and they are ).

Capability is a crazy thing, its not just with como, it also applies to most of the other gear we use and operate with on our trucks. Bead locks are a great example and at times a constant point of contention, much like GVWR, over sized tires on factory break systems and lift kits. Inevitably there will always be someone who will take issue with some piece of gear or equipment on someone else truck. I am reminded of an experience a few years ago involving medical treatment on a back road / remote area were medical treatment was rendered to someone who needed it badly. I will say multiple IVs were involved (is that legal, why would you need the capability if its not tech. legal?). Sometimes capability is there to support the worst case scenario, incase you need it.

silvrzuki77

explorer
That last part about IV’s always makes me wonder..... for my friends and family no doubt. Having been involved in a major lawsuit over the actions of another person incompetence. I think I would be hesitant going beyond basic care when not at work. Lawyers can pull weird stuff up and place blame against people trying to help.

Sucks to even have to think that way...

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
I been looking into race radios on and off and other gear for when off road for coms and internal vehicle coms as well. When it comes to performance of a Cummins and mechanical stuff on our trucks I know a lot. When it comes to coms like this I have no clue, nothing like the radios I used in the Army lol.

I was looking on Rugged Radios for the different stuff I need for my truck. Since I do not know as much as I need to for what I would need I just stopped looking.

I was looking at something like this for inside the truck. https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1085_1174&products_id=2027.

Ravenmad

Observer
That last part about IV’s always makes me wonder..... for my friends and family no doubt. Having been involved in a major lawsuit over the actions of another person incompetence. I think I would be hesitant going beyond basic care when not at work. Lawyers can pull weird stuff up and place blame against people trying to help.

Sucks to even have to think that way...

Trust me, I get that. Personally, I won't do it for anyone outside of my family unless its absolutely necessary, but if it is necessary, well, I have answered to the man per say in the past for doing it.

Ravenmad

Observer
Spent the day at Nemesis Ind. Going to pick up supplies tomorrow to build the antenna storage and mount for the antenna base. It will all bolt the my new aluminum adventure rack. We will be using 4x6" aluminum tubing 1/4" wall for the main stage box for the antenna base extensions and long range antenna packages. The one end will be closed and we will biluld a custom door for the tailgate end of the storage tube. Everything will be built out of aluminum. The mount and container will sit between the RTT and the awning mount. By using the rectangle tubing we will be able to mount the Road shower to the top of the antenna container and still sit bellow the highest point of the RTT when it is stowed. Pictures tomorrow ;)

Phreak480

Army Guy
I been looking into race radios on and off and other gear for when off road for coms and internal vehicle coms as well. When it comes to performance of a Cummins and mechanical stuff on our trucks I know a lot. When it comes to coms like this I have no clue, nothing like the radios I used in the Army lol.

I was looking on Rugged Radios for the different stuff I need for my truck. Since I do not know as much as I need to for what I would need I just stopped looking.

I was looking at something like this for inside the truck. https://www.ruggedradios.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1085_1174&products_id=2027.

I'll be honest, unless you are involved with sanctioned events and pre-existing licensing for frequency usage stay away form the stuff from rugged unless you absolutely need the in vehicle intercom function. First of all waht radio gear are th people you wheel with running, if they are all on Cb then get a CB. If they are on FRS / GMRS get that and get a GMRS license. If nobody is on anything yet then maybe get some commercial gear that works on MURS and then nobody needs a license.

If you want long distance comms got the Ham radio route, but most likely all the folks you wheel with won't have Ham licenses so then they can't play along for radio on Ham bands.

I'm another fellow Army guy as well, yes a lot of this radio gear is very different than that stuff. What did you do in the Army?

The big problem with the stuff from rugged is that they pre load all these frequencies that need a license and conveniently neglect to mention that legally you can't transmit on them unless you have your own license for those frequencies, or someone else who is licensed allows you to operate under their license. They also have at times promoted just using FRS or GMRS frequencies in these commercial radios they sell which operate at much higher power levels. If the radios are part 90 certified it is possible they are legit to use on GMRS with a license but sure as hell not under FRS.

If you share some more info on your comms goals and what others you wheel with are using then I (an I'm sure others) would be glad to assist with knowledge and advice.

Ravenmad

Observer
Progress today on the Antenna storage box. 4" wide x 6"tall x 72" long. All out of aluminum to keep the weight down to a minimum. Monday we will finish building the access door and move on to the aluminum storage box that will sit between the RTT and the cab of the truck. The Antenna box will have the base for the long range antenna built into it. I was going to build a folding mount and capture the first section of the base extension in a cradle at the tailgate end of the storage box. In the end (no pun intended) I decided on a simple mount. The base of the antenna mount will be a 3.5" round aluminum sleeve with donuts welded into it. The center hole of the donuts will be about 1/8" larger diameter than the diameter of the antenna base extensions allowing me to fit the antenna to the extensions and then drop into the base. The base is 15" tall ( same height as the RTT when its stowed) and will be welded to the antenna storage box with gussets for strength. Tuesday we will build the antenna extensions and mount the storage box to the rack. With the antenna base extensions and the length of the antenna itself the top of the antenna will be right at 32' from the ground.

Still no progress on the pelican case mounts yet. Next week will be all about finishing the storage boxes, building a center console / mount for the Icom 5100A, installing the coms system, installing the onboard welder (premier power welder) and dual 240 amp alternators, getting the new tires and wheels mounted (walker evens deadlocks and the 42" Maxxis trepedors). We are starting to get close on time (leave for KOH on 26 Jan.)

I attached a couple of pictures of the box construction, I will post the rest next week when we are done with it.

Attachments

• 20190104_133627.jpg
    20190104_133627.jpg
    497.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190104_153513.jpg
    20190104_153513.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 20190104_153535.jpg
    20190104_153535.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 66
  • 20190104_162141.jpg
    20190104_162141.jpg