Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Ravenmad

Observer
How about an update on the Conti MPT81's

I am a fan of the Conti MPT81's. Understand that they have limitations, I have around 18K on the rears, just put 2 brand new tires on the front. Dodge trucks seem to eat front tires, I was rotating them every 2500 miles but I gave up on the last two rotations and just let the fronts go away. Some research and a long conversation with some people in the know has me thinking the truck needs "a lot more shock" to control the tire wheel combo (its very heavy). Anyways, The tires are soft, don't last very long, are heavy, noisy and finding the correct tire pressure for the weight of your vehicle takes a little time. With all that, I love them, they balance easily, are very high quality construction, and are my Overland tires because I know that its the only tire I can run that I absolutely do not have to worry about gauging a sidewall or getting a flat.

Overland duty - Conti. MPT81s
Snow tires - 42" Maxxis Trepador's.
Street tires - ???????

Sounds excessive, but if you can, you will be happier having several sets of tires.

Ravenmad

Observer
How has the AEV suspension been so far? Do it over or go a different route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great question. I guess so, hows that for an answer. I think the AEV kit is good if you are limited on budget and want to run a 40"-42" tire. I have found that the truck rides great, much better than stock (but thats in part to the lower air pressures and larger sidewall of the 41" tires). I do like that I have not lost any load carrying capacity (AEV re-uses the factory coil springs). I will also say, I removed the factory front sway bar, made a huge difference on how well it transitions uneven surfaces and had no observed effect on handling (and I have towed almost 18K with the truck). I have had to go back through and re-tourque all the suspension bolts and AEV hardware several times ( but that is normal I think ). In the end, I like it, would I do it again? yeah OK. If I had say 6K to spend on the suspension I would have gone a different route for sure. The AEV kits shocks are abysmal to say the least..... Digressive valving, way to small for anything but a factory size tire and, well, I will stop there. The kit is economical in comparison to most others that I would even consider, coupled with the sustained payload capacity and price I would buy it again. Almost forgot........... I have had absolutely no issue with the AEV relocation / flip kit for the steering rod end on the factory knuckle, however, when you put the 1/2" spacers in the radius arm mounts (AEV's main piece for there 37" - 40" tire kit) the front track bar rubs at the frame side mounting bracket and a securing bolt on the axle housing bracket supplied by AEV to relocate the front axle side track bar mount.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Appreciate the honest input. Lot of good options AEV, Thuren, and Carli. The later are mostly in shocks which AEV lacks but AEV has things others omit...... loving your truck though!

ttengineer

Adventurer
Appreciate the honest input. Lot of good options AEV, Thuren, and Carli. The later are mostly in shocks which AEV lacks but AEV has things others omit...... loving your truck though!

Every kit is a compromise in some fashion. You just have to find the kit that compromises in the areas you’re ok with.

Ravenmad

Observer
A couple of pics of the Bat 270 awning on the truck. Had to put the awning out to make sure it worked lolol..... Road shower and RTT should be here in the next few days. Probably the second week of Jan. before we have the HAM / UHF / VHF Como system built and in the truck. I have gotta find some space to put a fold down antenna on the rack. (A lot to do before KOH and my follow on trips)

Attachments

• 20181224_131028.jpg
    20181224_131028.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 214
  • 20181224_131018.jpg
    20181224_131018.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 221
  • 20181224_131006.jpg
    20181224_131006.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 218

Ravenmad

Observer
RTT from 23 Zero (Byron) is on the truck. Installed that bad boy on my own (ok, I had a fork lift to help lift it up onto the rack). I set the tent so the 270 awning will close up against it, that makes the tent overhang the back about 8 inches. I have measured and I am going to order / build a custom aluminum box to it between the tent and the cab of the truck for storage. I am also considering Pelican cases to sit there. Talked to the local fabrication shop and we are designing and building a fold down mast to mount my UHF / VHF antenna to for long range comms. The system will use a coax splitter, so we will run down the road on low power (2 meter) and use a short vehicle mounted antenna, then when I am stationary I can set up the folding aluminum mast, attach the big antenna and flip the power switch on the amplifier. Anyways, thats the plan. Should be picking up the rest of the comms gear this week and then decide on a custom stack or a mobile pelican based system.

Attachments

• 20181229_132648.jpg
    20181229_132648.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 193
  • 20181229_132658.jpg
    20181229_132658.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 203
  • 20181229_132705.jpg
    20181229_132705.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 195

Ravenmad

Observer
Almost forgot...... A sneak peak at my new tires, currently have about 65-70% tread on my rear conti. MPT 81s in the 41" variety. Owwww, how the treps make them look small............... ;>)

Attachments

• 20181229_130459.jpg
    20181229_130459.jpg
    573.1 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:

Ravenmad

Observer
@Ravenmad, so where will the antenna mount be located?

The long range base / mast will be mounted right behind the uprights for the awning on the passenger side ( Sit between the uprights and the RTT ). We are going to build a folding mech. for it, so in transit it will lay down / fold down and be secured to the rack. The mobile antenna for just driving around will be mounted to the top of the cab most likely.

Phreak480

Army Guy
RTT from 23 Zero (Byron) is on the truck. Installed that bad boy on my own (ok, I had a fork lift to help lift it up onto the rack). I set the tent so the 270 awning will close up against it, that makes the tent overhang the back about 8 inches. I have measured and I am going to order / build a custom aluminum box to it between the tent and the cab of the truck for storage. I am also considering Pelican cases to sit there. Talked to the local fabrication shop and we are designing and building a fold down mast to mount my UHF / VHF antenna to for long range comms. The system will use a coax splitter, so we will run down the road on low power (2 meter) and use a short vehicle mounted antenna, then when I am stationary I can set up the folding aluminum mast, attach the big antenna and flip the power switch on the amplifier. Anyways, thats the plan. Should be picking up the rest of the comms gear this week and then decide on a custom stack or a mobile pelican based system.

For your "coax splitter" I hope you are planning to use a coax switch to choose between the 2 antennas, a splitter would divide the power between them always and likely give significant SWR issues. Not sure what type of amplifier you are using but I'd humbly suggest you set up as follows;

Radio -> coax switch
coax switch-> short antenna / amplifier input
amplifier -> "base station" antenna.

Then you leave the switch set to the vehicle antenna while traveling and then switch to the amplifier and turn it on when you set up camp. This will allow you to adjust both for optimal performance and avoid any interaction of having them on a splitter.

Hope this info helps, feel free to drop me a message if need be.

Ravenmad

Observer
For your "coax splitter" I hope you are planning to use a coax switch to choose between the 2 antennas, a splitter would divide the power between them always and likely give significant SWR issues. Not sure what type of amplifier you are using but I'd humbly suggest you set up as follows;

Radio -> coax switch
coax switch-> short antenna / amplifier input
amplifier -> "base station" antenna.

Then you leave the switch set to the vehicle antenna while traveling and then switch to the amplifier and turn it on when you set up camp. This will allow you to adjust both for optimal performance and avoid any interaction of having them on a splitter.

Hope this info helps, feel free to drop me a message if need be.

And you sir have shown how much I realy on people who are smarter than me. ;) I still have a lot to learn when it comes to vehicle based coms. You are correct, its a switch not a splitter.

Kenwood TK-7150 VHF radio (because it is free to me)
Tram 1491 antenna (for the base camp)
Comet SBB-25 antenna (for the truck)
Mirage B-320-G VHF amp.
(not sure what coax switch is ordered)

Ravenmad

Observer
Truck is looking great, I am digging the bed rack and tent.

What wheels are you running?
Thank you. the wheels are black rhino armory wheels in the 20x9 flavor.The Conti. MPT 81s really need a 10-11 inch wide wheel though to get a proper contact patch on the ground. I have been thinking about pulling the wheels and sending them off to get machined and have bead lock rings added to gain a little more function and width.

EMS WJ 2000

Observer
Thank you. the wheels are black rhino armory wheels in the 20x9 flavor.The Conti. MPT 81s really need a 10-11 inch wide wheel though to get a proper contact patch on the ground. I have been thinking about pulling the wheels and sending them off to get machined and have bead lock rings added to gain a little more function and width.

Welcome. Nice, I have been going back and forth on getting the MPT 81s for my 2006 Ram mega cab. I am currently rubbing Cooper STT Pros 37x13.5x17 on XD Series Wheels XD137-FMJ 17x9 Black Tint -12mm Offset and love them so far. There is a lot of sand, mud and clay here in North Carolina and not sure how the MPT 81s would do in the beach sand or the red clay that we have all over.

Ravenmad

Observer
Welcome. Nice, I have been going back and forth on getting the MPT 81s for my 2006 Ram mega cab. I am currently rubbing Cooper STT Pros 37x13.5x17 on XD Series Wheels XD137-FMJ 17x9 Black Tint -12mm Offset and love them so far. There is a lot of sand, mud and clay here in North Carolina and not sure how the MPT 81s would do in the beach sand or the red clay that we have all over.

PM sent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy