Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Ravenmad

Observer
Why are you going with different tires?
X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of reasons, 1. the conti's are down to 60% with a little less than 13K on them. I really do like them but the tread life is a bit disappointing. I have abused the tires though, with no sign of damage but the tread life is abysmal. I may try a set of goodyears also, we will see. 2. I want a bigger tire, I have room, the new front axle assembly will deff. not break... Heck, if they made a 43 or a 44 that I could get to fit I would probably entertain it. 3. The tires were the right price, I am coordinating the logistics and coms for an Ultra 4 team at KOH, Maxxis is a sponsor and the deal was extended to me.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Bummer to hear about the tread life on those!

Hopefully I will be making a trip out to KOH as well this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ravenmad

Observer
@Ravenmad, was the cutting/prep/install for the AEV fender/flares as bad as they say it is?
I got the same question. I was just thinking about dropping the truck off at a body shop if I were to go that route, which I might, these 37’s are just too small now.

Well, I will say this... I can be picky, so I spent about 20 hours installing the front and rear flares. It is time consuming, I asked cooper how long it takes DPP to install them and he said they have a body shop guy that does it for them and it takes him about 15 hours.

Ravenmad

Observer
I got my Maxxis Treps in today... :) WOW.... What a tire. They are the DOT compound radial 42s, but still very soft. I think they will be good for cruising around at KOH this year, but deff. not a road tire....... ;)

Attachments

• 20181016_143527.jpg
    20181016_143527.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 99

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Well, I will say this... I can be picky, so I spent about 20 hours installing the front and rear flares. It is time consuming, I asked cooper how long it takes DPP to install them and he said they have a body shop guy that does it for them and it takes him about 15 hours.

This is my fear, they are either beyond my capabilities and they require more time to do correctly than I have available to get it done and back on the road in time to use daily.

I asked another guy who has done two sets and he said it's a solid 20 hour job if you take your time and do it correctly, so that seems to be a consistent answer.

I got the same question. I was just thinking about dropping the truck off at a body shop if I were to go that route, which I might, these 37’s are just too small now.

At $80-110 an hour for shop rate/labor that can end up being a very pricey install for a set of fender flares. I wish there were a better way.

Explorerinil

Observer
This is my fear, they are either beyond my capabilities and they require more time to do correctly than I have available to get it done and back on the road in time to use daily.

I asked another guy who has done two sets and he said it's a solid 20 hour job if you take your time and do it correctly, so that seems to be a consistent answer.

At $80-110 an hour for shop rate/labor that can end up being a very pricey install for a set of fender flares. I wish there were a better way.
I know one that works for cash and beer ?

Ravenmad

Observer

The install is really not that technical, it just takes time to do it correctly. You will need a plastic rivet gun / applicator tool for the inner fender liners, also a body saw (miniature sawzal) is a must. The rear fender flares only took me about 6-7 hours. The fronts are deff. more time consuming and require you to measure 3 times and hopefully not over-cut. If I was spending the money I would only pay to have the fronts done and do the rears myself as they are easy. I would in no way pay someone to install the front flares unless they had done it before ( I don't want to pay for someone to learn ).

Explorerinil

Observer
The install is really not that technical, it just takes time to do it correctly. You will need a plastic rivet gun / applicator tool for the inner fender liners, also a body saw (miniature sawzal) is a must. The rear fender flares only took me about 6-7 hours. The fronts are deff. more time consuming and require you to measure 3 times and hopefully not over-cut. If I was spending the money I would only pay to have the fronts done and do the rears myself as they are easy. I would in no way pay someone to install the front flares unless they had done it before ( I don't want to pay for someone to learn ).
So what you are saying is if we drive out you will install them? Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy