Ram 2500 XL for overland / expedition trips

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I’m still considering some glass options as well. Easier install but requires paint and more fragile.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I’m still considering some glass options as well. Easier install but requires paint and more fragile.

The problem I have with glass is that all the options available are either too wide or just plain ugly.

Someone needs to make a glass fender that looks stock but maybe flares to a max of +2” instead of the more common +4”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brokenhorn

Hey raven,

I talked to you at the all4fun this summer.

How did that front skid plate for the intercooler turn out?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ravenmad

Observer
Hey raven,

I talked to you at the all4fun this summer.

How did that front skid plate for the intercooler turn out?

I have been gone ( when work calls I must go ), but I am back now. Honestly, I have only built the brackets, I think we should be back on track to finish up the skid plate and have a solid test model by the second week of Nov.

How goes your project?

brokenhorn

I have been gone ( when work calls I must go ), but I am back now. Honestly, I have only built the brackets, I think we should be back on track to finish up the skid plate and have a solid test model by the second week of Nov.

How goes your project?
Good we picked up an older grandby shell for a good price. The whole thing was stripped and exterior redone. So over the winter I will do the interior.

Keep me in the loop when you get a working skid plate.

Ravenmad

Observer
Good we picked up an older grandby shell for a good price. The whole thing was stripped and exterior redone. So over the winter I will do the interior.

Keep me in the loop when you get a working skid plate.

I will deff. let you know when its done and send you some pics. Very cool to hear about the grandby, I love the thought of a FWC. Its funny, I was just talking to my better half about trying to find a vintage camper and restore it. I am a big fam of the FWC and Alaskan campers for sure. Make sure to keep us updated on your camper build so I can live vicariously through you ;).

brokenhorn

I will deff. let you know when its done and send you some pics. Very cool to hear about the grandby, I love the thought of a FWC. Its funny, I was just talking to my better half about trying to find a vintage camper and restore it. I am a big fam of the FWC and Alaskan campers for sure. Make sure to keep us updated on your camper build so I can live vicariously through you ;).
Sure will, funny thing I haven't take one picture of the grandby (not like me) . It is in my garage I'll get one up soon.

Ravenmad

Observer
Sorry for the delayed response. I have been buried with medical appointments and life around the retirement process. We have been pretty busy with the truck and I am hopeful to have some pictures of the new stuff we have / are having built for it soon. The prototype front skid plate for the AEV bumper (diesel intercooler / 20017 model year) is done and I'm hopeful to have the final skid plate with the mounts cut out and formed some time next week (then it will just be a matter of test fitting and checking clearances all over again). Nemesis ind. is cutting the last of the 3/8" aluminum for the bed rack system this week and I should be able to do the metal finish on it early next week and then assemble. I bought a new RTT (23 Zero Byron), already have a brand new EZI AWN Bat 270 that will mount to the passenger side of the bed rack (the bracketry Nemesis is building for it is simply amazing / I will post up detailed pics next week when we assemble). Our new UHF/VHF radio is inbound from our favorite Ulra4 race team.

Add ons for the rack.
1. aluminum fishing pole holders (captured)
2. pelican case mounts (these will mount pelican cases flush with the bed side, lid facing out, between the top of the bed rail and bottom of the bed rack).
3. Folding table storage (bottom side of the rack will hold 2 folding tables / lock in place)
4. Mounts for a road shower

Still no progress on the front grill guard, for the life of me I am struggling to find a shop that can / will mandrel bend 3" for the main hoop so it will match the basic style of the AEV bumper. :( lol, I need to get this done so I can have a place to put all my JW Speaker LED lights (circa 1980s triple tube chrome roll bar double stacked KC daylighter style) .......

Well, thats were we are at.

Ravenmad

Observer
Busy the last few days. The base for my adventure rack is done. I say base because it is just the basic platform. We are building a bunch of other stuff for it (i.e. custom aluminum fishing pole holders - a bottom box that will hold a folding table to the bottom of the rack - aluminum storage box to fit between the RTT and the back of the cab of the truck - mounting brackets for a road shower - and brackets to hold Pelican Cases).

The base rack is sold by DPP and is made out of aluminum with all stainless steel hardware. I had Nemesis build a custom side plate as a replacement to replace the original side plate (passenger side). However, we designed the mounting surface (risers) into it for an awning mount (dual set of holes for both Aluminum Cab and EZI AWN bat 270. On the back side of the side plate they added 3/8" gussets (2 per riser) that are welder to the risers and the runner (no deflection at all).

For the EZI AWN Bat 270 I removed the factory mounting bolts (4) and replaced with upgraded hardware and used 9 bolts to hold it to the risers on the rack.

I will say, it took me about 3 hours to assemble. After KOH we will pull it back off the truck, have it media blasted and powder coated. For now, we just have to many extras that we are building for it to powder coat it first and then drill and weld stuff to it.

Attachments

• 20181223_071121.jpg
    20181223_071121.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 151
  • 20181223_071137.jpg
    20181223_071137.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 165
  • 20181223_082343.jpg
    20181223_082343.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 176
  • 20181223_082736.jpg
    20181223_082736.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 177
  • 20181223_082356.jpg
    20181223_082356.jpg
    611.7 KB · Views: 173

Kingsize24

Very nice! Cannot wait to see it in its final form. Looks excellent, and I bet it will be just as functional. (y)

Ravenmad

Observer
Forgot to say, also had the feet that sit on the bed rails changed so I could use the rack with a Revolver X2 roll up bed cover ( the revolver had a semi rigid aluminum backing, a type of interlocking slats that pivot enough to allow it to roll up). I looked at a lot of other racks, some that I really liked and some that I think are just a lazy attempt to make money. I really like the concept of the Nuthouse rack, with its utility and expandability, however, if you want a bed cover you have to use theirs and by the time your done that baby is "very" expensive. It did take some work to get the design figured out and then cut out parts to modify the rack, but, were getting there (word on the street is the changes will be options on DPP racks ;) ).

Front skid plate for the AEV bumper on a diesel went back to the drawing board (I realized it could be done better), the way I designed it made it look like a bunch of peices welded together instead of a nice clean design. I sure wish AEV would have just built one. I have had several conversations with them and their concern about correct air flow.

TNSG

I must say that although I have a 2500 beastieburban, after seeing this I could easily get into a diesel CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy