Random Moon Shots

BKCowGod

Automotive ADHD is fun!
Hey LilKJ -

My wife fell in love with this shot - any chance of having a hi-res one so she can make it a background on her comp? I promise I won't sell it as a cover photo for Outside Mag :p

Camping outside of Durango....

jpgs_22.jpg

I cheated a little and put a headlamp in each tent:coffeedrink:

jg45

My contribution. Not nearly as nice as some of the others posted, but it looked cool when we were there and the photo didn't turn out too bad.

IMG_2412.JPG

Photog

Explorer
Suggestions for shooting the moon.

The moon is very light color. The sun is shining directly upon it.

Don't think of "moon photos" as "night photos".

Set your exposure for more speed and closed aperture (daytime settings). Meter on just the moon, if you can. The moon will expose properly, and the surroundings will be dark or black.

If you have foreground you also want to include, do all your work on a tripod. Make your second shot, to expose the foreground properly.

In Photoshop (or equivelant), take the good moon shot, and place it in the good foreground shot. Yes, this is OK.:)

You saw the moon clearly, and you saw the foreground clearly. You camera can not capture them both in one frame.

Note: I am not suggesting that you take nice moon images and place them into any old random landscape images. I am saying to take the same photograph, with two different exposure settings, then bring in the best of both images. Something like HDR image building.

78Bronco

Explorer
I would recommend buying a remote for your camera so you don't jiggle it on the tripod, etc, during a long exposure.

DavidWhite

I am not professional photographer but i want buy a camera, please suggest me which camera would you like to recommend me.

Photog

Explorer
I am not professional photographer but i want buy a camera, please suggest me which camera would you like to recommend me.

Take a quick look through the threads in the Photography section. There are quite a few threads for DSLR recommendations. After reading through them, you may be better able to define what you want to do in photography, and choose the best equipment for the job.:)

Here is one example:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31708

Last edited:

RHINO

Expedition Leader
my first attempt to shoot the moon through my scope.

attachment.php

Attachments

• moon.JPG
    moon.JPG
    28.7 KB · Views: 187

DesertBoater

Adventurer
I spent the summer up in Alaska guiding sea kayak trips on the Prince Williams Sound. I got this shot at 2 am as the moon rose on the other side of Port Wells from us...it then stopped getting darker and began to get lighter again...hooray land of the midnight sun.

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

Enjoy!

Cheers,
West

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3