Range Rover P38 diesel conversion

spikemd

Explorer
wow. nice job! i will be curious as to your gas mileage and the power it produces in comparison to the 4.6.

And the BECM is happy?! I read an earlier post, but what exactly did it need to run?

did you matte black vinyl your truck? i think i remember seeing pics somewhere...

R-Overland

Adventurer
Thank you for the compliment ,spikemd
Well, i had to learn that the BeCM is only a gateway between the ECU and transmission/transfercase ECU's.
at first i tried to make the BeCM happy with all the input It could want to have, and the ones I wanted to give to it.
I found out that I can run the truck with an 36-1 trigger wheel of the crank, and a TPS without it throwing a hissy fit.
That's good to know for all the people trying to make a 350 work with the stock drive train.
I also found out that i can take out the entire engine ECU and feed a current to the BeCM , to let it know the engine is running.
As far as the drive-ablility is concerned, I haven't been off road , yet. But the traffic driving experience is good.

MEGA

I knew it was possible, but had given up until now and was looking into a half-cut from Europe or the td-v6 swap for $$$. My brother got a MB 5 cyl into his RRC and that makes this look easy. Now to convince him that this engine is not the pos that everyone says it is.

REDROVER

Explorer
I knew it was possible, but had given up until now and was looking into a half-cut from Europe or the td-v6 swap for $$$. My brother got a MB 5 cyl into his RRC and that makes this look easy. Now to convince him that this engine is not the pos that everyone says it is.

the POS motor took me to 1400 mile trip 4 days ago and brought me back, the best part of the that pos motor is that i had 1000 lb pallet of mineral inside my rover going up the hills. ( i have the pics and the video coming to prove)

i wanna see non pos motor inside the rover do that :) oh did i say 23 mpg all the way?

ERIC

MEGA

Can't say that I am in love with the 6.2, but the rest of us are driving around a mutated buick motor... The three of you that I have been watching have very positive things to say about your setups, the dark side is strong here.

Baloo

"The Bear Necessities"
Well you have convinced me! I guess it is time to mount one of those 6.2l's in my 95 Disco. I already have two diesel trucks, why not a third. Where did you come up with the bell housing to transmission adapter? Is there a kit out there for this conversion? Thanks,

Dodger

LtFuzz

Explorer
Well you have convinced me! I guess it is time to mount one of those 6.2l's in my 95 Disco. I already have two diesel trucks, why not a third. Where did you come up with the bell housing to transmission adapter? Is there a kit out there for this conversion? Thanks,

Dodger

Check out RedRover's thread for detailed info on building your own adapter plate.

You can also buy one from Mark's 4x4 of Australia -- but IIRC they only sell one for 6.2 -> R380 (5-speed)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues