Rango.....1942 Willys MB

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
No problem, I need to check updates more often. What is mounted under your arm rest?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Uh......

There is a pressure regulator for the ox-locker in the back ( black thing ) and then the toggle switch for the locker on the front drivers corner.

The space directly under the ammo can is just a bracket that is kinda open so I can shove stuff under there. I think there is some WAY old sunscreen under there right now :) Maybe a few sunflower seeds.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
A few more details on the air system....

Here is my small aluminum tank that I installed under the rear of the body. It holds 1/2-3/4 a gallon of air. I have it plumbed so it sees the full pressure from the compressor. The ARB pressure control switch runs the air system up to 150psi before shutting off. It turns back on at 135psi.

I had to regulate down the pressure for the Ox-locker down to 85psi. The regulator is hidden next to the center console. After the regulator I converted to 1/4" air brake line with push to connect fittings. The longest run of line is maybe 4-5 feet to the locker....probably more like 4. The air tank plumbing also uses air brake line and push-lock fittings for easy field repair. I have a small coil of extra air brake line that should let me rebuild all the flexible lines if needed.

I got the compressor wired up tonight. I deleted all the ARB control wiring for the most part. Once you dissect the wiring you only need ONE wire on the control side as far as I can tell to activate the compressor. I used a on-off toggle with one side wired into an switched ignition wire and the other side going to the purple wire on the compressor control plug. By using a switched ignition wire you can't have the compressor turn on from a small air leak unless the engine is running if you leave the switch on. I basically plan to have the compressor off probably 99% of the time anyways since the only reason I NEED to have it on is for the rear locker or airing up the tires.

The control switch for the locker ( a pneumatic mechanical unit ) is hidden on the front corner of the center console. This shortened up the air tubing runs and hid and protected the switch from getting bumped or activated accidentally if it was mounted on the dash. I can also get at the switch without having to lean forward which is nice....

Once the compressor was wired I gave everything a test. The tank seemed to fill pretty fast. I was messing with the pressure regulator getting it all adjusted and probably turned the locker on-off 20+ times and the compressor never turned on. The locker seems to use a very small volume of air. It doesn't make the same sound as an ARB locker, but if you know what to listen to you can hear it release with a little PPPPFFFTTTT sound.

The locker seemed to function just fine. When it is locked you can tell it acts like a spool. The turning radius is GREATLY reduced. The funny thing is that I don't get any reduction in turning diameter with the front automatic locker doing its thing unless the rear is locked. Personally I really like the front automatic locker and rear selectable setup. It seems backwards from what most people run, but it works really well for me!

I also built the air hose for filling the tires. It reaches the passenger front tire easily walking around the vehicle either way. I could probably shorten the hose up about 3' if I really wanted. I put another quick connect on the end of the hose to allow for some future air tool expansion perhaps. If I don't end up using that feature much I might just stick the clip on chuck on the end of the hose and call it good to eliminate some extra fittings. The hose fits in the tool box though and that is what I REALLY wanted. The hose is like 2 feet of less from the quick connect and can live in the top of the box for very easy access.

And no, I haven't done any tire fill up tests yet....

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Car show this Saturday for Fathers Day weekend....

I make all the other cars look extra shiny!

It is always a fun day. I like the local show since its pretty short at only about 8 hours long total. I really need to get a chair with some shade for sitting at the show though! I felt pretty roasted yesterday the day after the show.

L3TT3RS

@pooping_outside
About a week ago I spent the time and read through every post of this build and all I can say is wow. Because of your builds(this and the truck) my future project plans have changed! You sir truly are an inspiration to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
About a week ago I spent the time and read through every post of this build and all I can say is wow. Because of your builds(this and the truck) my future project plans have changed! You sir truly are an inspiration to me.

Thank you very much!

What are you thinking about building now?

L3TT3RS

@pooping_outside
I have always been a jeep guy and loved Cummins. So I have been looking for a cj7... something mostly unmolested that I can toy around with for awhile and eventually swap in a 4bt. Life has put a halt on ALL of my projects for awhile. My wife and I have our first child (five month old precious baby girl) and it's time to find a new place to live. I have been fortunate enough to have family and friends that have allowed me to use tools and facilities but it's about time for me to get my own tools and facilities

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I have always been a jeep guy and loved Cummins. So I have been looking for a cj7... something mostly unmolested that I can toy around with for awhile and eventually swap in a 4bt. Life has put a halt on ALL of my projects for awhile. My wife and I have our first child (five month old precious baby girl) and it's time to find a new place to live. I have been fortunate enough to have family and friends that have allowed me to use tools and facilities but it's about time for me to get my own tools and facilities

My only suggestion would be to start with a YJ instead of a CJ. If you REALLY like the CJ nose you can swap that on easy enough. The YJ will be easier to find AND will have a fully boxed frame and a tub that was much more rust resistant. Finding them in good condition is a lot easier. The extra frame width in front will also help with your future diesel swap. They YJ spring suspension was also a bit better than the CJ stuff.

Good luck on your project!

skibum315

Explorer
Pictures with the shiny cars are an interesting juxtaposition. I'm a fan of smaller shows, too ... well, I guess a more low key feel is what I really mean.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Pictures with the shiny cars are an interesting juxtaposition. I'm a fan of smaller shows, too ... well, I guess a more low key feel is what I really mean.

I have entered it in the past 3 years since I completed the build. Everyone really seems to love it. I think it adds some contrast to all the stuff that basically spends its entire life in a trailer and hardly ever gets to go play....

skibum315

Explorer
Also, I love that the top of your tire hits that Camaro (?) right around it's beltline, and the whole rest of the Jeep (aside from windshield and cage, of course) isn't much taller than the roof.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Also, I love that the top of your tire hits that Camaro (?) right around it's beltline, and the whole rest of the Jeep (aside from windshield and cage, of course) isn't much taller than the roof.

Yup. That is one of the major points of this build. The entire vehicle is incredibly thin really. Everything on the bottom was moved up and everything on the top was moved down.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
How much stuff do you take on a huge trip that will probably be close to 3000 miles when you have a stock tub flat fender with no trailer.......

I will try and do a writeup on some thoughts in a bit.

skibum315

Explorer
I'm loving that first picture ... and it's amazing what you can do to cram random stuff into the various nooks and crannies, when you're forced to! I'm curious to read the writeup on your thoughts about packing for this trip ... specifically thoughts on spares and personal emergency gear (as opposed to personal 'luggage' type stuff), sometimes it's so easy to fall into the 'well I've got the room, might as well have it and not need it' mentality, and wind up bringing the kitchen sink (quite literally sometimes).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues