Refreshing the TJ - Build Thread

GP'd

Adventurer
Looks great; Nice rig! I love how simple it still looks, though far from it!

What material and thickness did you go with?

I was considering the 1/4" Aluminum when I looked at it in the past.

RugerTrailer

The Trailer Guy
Looks great; Nice rig! I love how simple it still looks, though far from it!

What material and thickness did you go with?

I was considering the 1/4" Aluminum when I looked at it in the past.

Thanks. Ya I'm trying to keep it looking very simple and clean.

I went with 1/4" steel and I'd recommend aluminum. I would get alum if I were to do it again...it was very tough mounting by myself.

GP'd

Adventurer
GP'd great build thread. Can't wait to see the finished product. I, too am in need of a tummy tuck skid. I like your idea.

Thank you! I can't wait to see the finished product either; kinda getting tired of seeing it in the driveway and not on the road/trail. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress of the skid.

Thanks. Ya I'm trying to keep it looking very simple and clean.

I went with 1/4" steel and I'd recommend aluminum. I would get alum if I were to do it again...it was very tough mounting by myself.

Thanks for the input. Time for one of those build vs buy mental debates.

GP'd

Adventurer
Liner Update

A couple weekends ago I started applying Al's liner with very bad results. I mixed one quart and began hitting all the tight areas with a paint brush, then attempted to use a roller on the larger areas. The Dupicolor roller sucked for this and I ended up using a 4" wide chip brush for the application. Frustrated with the first pass that was very streaky and inconsistent I, like an idiot, mixed another batch (after the first had dried) and repeated my mistake. The result was the same, crap. The working time window with this stuff is about 10-15 minutes at 70º, and very difficult to lay on consistently with a brush or roller during the quick change of viscosity.

With a 1/2 gallon left, and repetition of the results with my previous method guaranteed, I ordered Al's Liner Spray gun which showed up yesterday. Problem solved. I mixed another quart last night, threw it in the spray gun and had professional looking results in 5 minutes. Incredibly even and consistent spray and layout, I could not be happier. Now to mix up another quart some time this week or weekend and finish the tub. I'll post pictures when it is light out.

I guess that's what you get for being cheap and trying to half *** a job. Glad the Al's Spray Gun solved the issues, that looming frustration of a poorly done job was starting to get to me.

GP'd

Adventurer
Finished Spray Results.

Did another two quarts of spray at ~43 psi with a very short throw on the gun. I'm very pleased with the results, granted there were hiccups over the past couple weeks and a few today.

Incase someone questions weither a DIY spray on liner can color match :

P1050010_zps8dd1d7a7.jpg

Passenger Side :

P1050007_zpsd47e13ff.jpg

The liner is still setting so the color came out a bit light in the photos. In this shot you can see the driver side is a bit 'yellower' than the passenger side on the floor board. Until the fog rolled in, the passenger side had direct sun causing it to cure faster and set the color.

P1050003_zps210ef81d.jpg

On the few minor spots where you can see faint hints of the H&R peeking through the green, mainly where the clunky spray gun couldn't reach, Dupicolor Perfect Match rattlecan solved the problem.

Last edited:

GP'd

Adventurer
Well...

On Saturday I was letting the jeep run like I do every couple weekends while it sit in the driveway and.... following a large POP and cloud of white smoke this is what my driveway looks like...

P1050011_zps0c3aff5c.jpg

... and the culprit ...

P1050017_zps48152ba7.jpg

I don't know what the hell happened. Apparently when I bought the Jeep it had a new radiator at 55k, but this is pretty intense. Either the tank has been cracked for a while and I just haven't noticed, or one of the other components (thermostat/cap) failed and built up pressure causing it blow. Picking up the parts this week and will tear it apart and find the problem when I pull the fenders for the AEV install. I guess I can be glad it happened in my driveway.

Meanwhile on the productive side, I finished the final tube welding on the cage tonight before running out of argon. One more night of welding taco gussets in and the cage is ready for paint and to be dropped back into the jeep. This picture clearly illustrates the limitations of having a 1 car garage and too many piles of parts taking up space (mainly AEV fenders). I guess you made do with what you have.

P1050022_zps580a4b06.jpg

Goals for the week/weekend :

Finish welding taco gussets
Make Winters shifters/transfercase shifter bracket
Prime and paint cage
Put cage in Jeep
Cut AEV fenders for boat sides
Replace Radiator
Replace Thermostat/Housing & Radiator Cap

Prep garage for painting the fenders over the next week...etc...

Really ready to drive this thing.

GP'd

Adventurer
Big bummer on the radiator...but like you said better in your driveway than out in the desert.

New CSF all metal radiator will be here tomorrow. Guess I have another project for the weekend.

Some cage progress...TACOS!

I have 2 more to weld in, and need to fabricate a new bracket for the Winters shifter. Then cage paint! Excuse the garage mess.

P1050027_zps909ca652.jpg

TIG welding all of these angles and facets is kicking my ***. Wish I could keep it more consistent, but my skill is the limiting factor...

Another note, these gussets are the .090" ones from AA Manufacturing which stuck up a bit above the tube line causing very scalloped welds. I guess I could've used more filler road, but I think they'll do.

P1050036_zpsf32f6a2c.jpg

Last edited:

GP'd

Adventurer
Welding Finished!

Primer Finished!

Paint...well...almost finished! Currently on 6 cans of 8oz Dupicolor Perfect Match. Likely need another two to cover all the primer peaking out. Who knew the cage was going to take this much paint?

It's amazing how much closer you feel to something being done once it's painted. I feel like I'm done once I'm finished painting, but still have the frame tie ins, shifter mount and install, painting fenders and boatsides; at least for this stage.

Primer
P1050042_zps2912a671.jpg

Primer (Midway through, still some bare spots)
P1050044_zpscf8086b0.jpg

P1050045_zpsce5078e8.jpg

P1050046_zps8b5d8935.jpg

P1050049_zpsaa568511.jpg

P1050050_zps76e3203d.jpg

thejafe

Adventurer
Not sure if this was covered earlier in the thread but any reason you chose to go with Al's liner as opposed to Monstaliner or anything else out there on the market? Monstaliner is relatively local to me and I've been looking hard at their stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3