Requiem for a V8

PeterN

Observer
Trigger is pulled. I like and trust this mechanic.

Thank you all very much for the advice. Feel free to hassle me at the rally in hollister in October in person.

I'll be the guy in the black d2 who isn't leaking coolant.

hks3sgte

César Gómez

Thank you all very much for the advice. Feel free to hassle me at the rally in hollister in October in person.

I'll be the guy in the black d2 who isn't leaking coolant.

Not_Sure_if_Serious_meme.jpeg

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
After stripping items out of the quote not related to the engine and cooling system it's at around $13k
:Wow1:
$5000 for the new engine
$2000 for other cooling/engine stuff
That leaves $5000 for labor. So he's charging you $250 - $500 an hour?

PeterN

Observer
I'm sure many of you have amazing mechanics, more knowledge, etc. Ive reached my decision which is to replace this engine with the mechanic I have. I'm not setting a world record for price/performance. Again, I appreciate much of the input.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
It doesn't take an amazing mechanic to not rip you off, just an honest one.
Or he's not competent (much less not amazing) and taking 30+ hours for a 10 hour job.

PeterN

Observer
We already have several "you are getting ripped off" posts. That opinion is represented.

The topic is "I have a dead d2 v8, help"

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
We have all tried to help- the problem is your not listening

Why not post on dweb " is 12 kusd a good price for an engine"

See what responce you get as a second opinion

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
What a strange thread..
What do you think?
Ripoff
Ripoff
Ripoff
Ripoff
Ripoff
etc.
Now, I could see it maybe if the opinion was split 50/50 or some such, but in this case, when it's 100% "ripoff", I don't really understand why the OP was even made.
Is there something I'm missing?

dcwhybrew

Adventurer
Instead of really wanting helpful opinions the OP really just wanted to confirm the decision he'd already made. Either way the result is still the same and he didn't like it.

Yes, he will have the black D2 on the trails that isn't leaking coolant, but he will also have the black D2 with the new engine he paid too much for. Who knows, new head gaskets could have also made him "the guy with the black D2 that doesn't leak coolant". We'll never know...LOL

JeremyT101

Adventurer
Wait so he actually went through with this for 13k? Seriously? That's even worse then me not listening and that was only for like 4k! And hell, even I know if I had a 13k problem I would just dump the truck, or if i was REALLY attached do the smart thing and put a diesel in it. Wows.

LtFuzz

Explorer
To be fair, lotsa naysayers here would have no problem dumping $100k (if they had it) on an ECR 110. The prices Defenders command in the states is the biggest ripoff out there -- where are the 5 pages of "what a ripoff!" posts whenever someone lists a rusty '94 D90 with 140k mi for $22,000?

Don't be so hard on the guy, sheesh. This isn't Dweb.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater