Retiring the Trooper

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
How did I miss this thread!?

Wow... So where are you guys going to be building? We are looking at building in Laveen, but our house sale is going slow... the market is back to close to normal, and the days of more than 3 days on the market there is something wrong with your house is gone. I think we're at 40 days on the market now.

Also did I miss your other thread on possible daily driver options?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Wil, we are not sure of the area where we will be building as of yet, but Queen Creek, Laveen, and Surprise are all options at the moment. We will not put our house on the market until we are a few months out of moving into the new house. Laveen and Queen Creek is not a booming area, and the houses will not increase in value very fast, but Surprise, now that is a little boom town in the real estate market. Houses in that area are going up in value like nobody's business. Colette is not real keen on Surprise though.

My alternate ride thread is located here.

upcruiser

Perpetual Transient
cshontz said:
If both of my vehicles were paid off, I'd purchase a brand new MINI Cooper S. I wouldn't pass go, I wouldn't collect $200 - I'd go straight to my local, authorized MINI dealer.

I've been obsessing since my test drive on 8/28/04.

30683106_9a5e6143aa.jpg

I totally know where you're coming from, Aaron. Every time I pass the gas station, I recall my high school days when it cost me little over $20 to top off the Cherokee. Is it too much to hope for those days to return?

I like the way you think! I too love the Cooper S's. A buddy of mine has one and it is such a blast to drive. I was looking at ordering a standard mini with the Sport plus suspension for an economical daily driver/ auto x'er a couple of years back. The resale on those things is so high still, that a new purchase on one makes alot of sense. And yes, with the gas prices right now, they seem more appealing daily.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I was actually talking to my wife last night......... Does that sound strange?
Anyway, I told her about me taking the Zuk, and she can get a Mini or a New Beatle. She likes the idea, or course, but when I was looking at used Mini's, I told her it would be crazy to buy one used, when for just a few grand more she can get a brand new one. She then started looking a the VW's, and I told her that if she wanted one of those, then she should not go test drive a Mini, because the Mini would just be way too much fun, and she would not want to look at anything else. We are going this weekend to test Drive Mini's:D :jump:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
datrupr said:
I was actually talking to my wife last night......... Does that sound strange?
Anyway, I told her about me taking the Zuk, and she can get a Mini or a New Beatle. She likes the idea, or course, but when I was looking at used Mini's, I told her it would be crazy to buy one used, when for just a few grand more she can get a brand new one. She then started looking a the VW's, and I told her that if she wanted one of those, then she should not go test drive a Mini, because the Mini would just be way too much fun, and she would not want to look at anything else. We are going this weekend to test Drive Mini's:D :jump:

Sounds like a Mini, and a Suzuki, are in your future. Will we see a Suzuki mod thread soon?

datrupr

Expedition Leader
The Suzuki mod thread will start after the Trooper is nearly finished. And I am getting there. I will have to change the suspension fairly quickly on the Zuk, the ride is a bit more bouncy than I am used to. I am thinking OME 2.25"

Wanderlusty

Explorer
THIS Suzuki used to be my alternative form of transportation. GREAT on mileage, at about 50 per gallon! Of course, not the most practical form of transportation...

Attachments

• album_pic.jpg
    album_pic.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 27
  • album_pic2.jpg
    album_pic2.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 29

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Very nice bike David, but the Suzuki that my wife drives is a bit larger. And not quite as sporty looking.

IMG_1462.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Wanderlusty

Explorer
Oh yeah, I have seen you do a couple write ups on that vehicle and I think it is a far more capable little rig than people give it credit for.

I was just adding my .02 worth on low cost fuel efficient vehicles. But like I said, not the most practical solution by far.

As far as the bike goes, it is a great way to cut fuel costs, but just like any other vehicle, it seems that the fuel cost savings all goes out the window with all the mods that get done to them...

:D

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Hear, hear David. I think the Suzuki DD driver is going to happen for me, and the wife will get her very longged after Mini. But I know that I will not be able to leave the Suzuki alone for very long. First off, the "p" rated tires have to go, but in order to do that a new suspension will have to be fitted to fit the taller "LT" tires.:rolleyes:

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
datrupr said:
Hear, hear David. I think the Suzuki DD driver is going to happen for me, and the wife will get her very longged after Mini. But I know that I will not be able to leave the Suzuki alone for very long. First off, the "p" rated tires have to go, but in order to do that a new suspension will have to be fitted to fit the taller "LT" tires.:rolleyes:

Aaron, I've had the same bias against P rated tires as you, but I've got them on my Zuk - 235/70/16 - and have been exceptionally happy with them (Firestone Destination AT's). They are good off-road and really good on road and as light as the Zuki's are, the carcass of the P is quite rugged. With over 10K on them, there is little wear - except from all the rock crawling the little rig has encountered.

That said, I'm looking at 245/75/16s in an MT and am undecided if I want a second set of rims, or just have the MT as my daily tire. For mileage and performance the second set of rims makes more sense, but from the storage and hassle point of view, one set of tires is much better.

I did the tires first, then the lift because I'm impatient, and also wanted decent tires for offroading right away. I wish I had waited so I could have gone bigger at the start because the 28 inch tire doesn't quite fit as well as a 31 will.

An LT is also about 15 pounds per tire heavier - quite a bit of a performance hit - but then again, with the V6 you have loads of power ...:D compared to me.

Another reason I'm looking at 245s, aside from aesthetics, is the extra 1.5 inches of height would be a big difference offroad. And you can get some great deals on Ebay on Jeep Rubicon takeoffs (Goodyear Wrangler MTRs).

There is also a new fab shop with 2-inch lift springs, no spacers, called http://www.boondoxmotorsports.com/ which could be an option instead of OME.

Anyway, can you tell I'm excited about having another Suzuki in the fold? Talk to you soon, Jeff

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the info Jeff. The tires on there are already upsized from the stockers. And they are 28's and fill up the wheel well to capacity. I do want to raise it no more than 2.5" and stuff 30-31's in there. It does need a much more agressive tread as the ones on there now are really for pavement. They did not handle sand well at all a couple of weeks ago at Swansea. I am going to have to check out the 2" set up you posted. Thanks for the link. And also, with a whopping 175 hp in that bad boy heavier tires will not be a problem:D

ZooJunkie

Explorer
Aaron, stay away from the VW Beetle. Very poor quality for the VW.

Oh, and you already know what I would pick. :jump:

Get a Chili Red Mini Cooper S w/ a white top....just like ours! :jumping:
The Mini will get 29-34mpg depending on how hard you drive it, and with the way I drive it, up in the hills on HWY 35, I can still get 30mpg. I highly recommend getting the ECU upgraded (flashed) once you get it, you'll appreciate the slightyly increased horsepower and the better gas mileage!!

Good luck w/ the Mini hunting!

PS: If you do end up with a Chili Red Mini Cooper S with a white top, then we'll have two of the same cars. Green Zoo and a red Mini. :beer:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Well, my mind is back on this one again, thanks for reviving this thread ZooJunkie. My new job now is about 25miles one way, and I really do not want to put that much stress on it, but since my funds are highly limited I was thinking of looking into a cheap used something or other. I will keep you all posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk