richard310's 04 Xterra

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
That looks like a pretty awesome trip, and nice pics! It's always nice having a weekend to just do what you want. Those trails look like a blast.

I really do have to get out to SoCal sometime soon. It's really not THAT far....

richard310

pew pew
Thanks guys for the comments. It definitely was a blast to attend and am definitely looking forward to the T4T and next years planned events.

Ordered a Mystery Ranch 60L SATL pack for an upcoming backpacking weekend trip in the Alabama Hills and Bishop. There'll be more pictures to come of that weekend in two weeks. I wanted the NICE Wolf Alpha BVS, but price and weight were a factor. Can't wait to test it out.

Tires are going to be needed soon and I'm debating if I should stay with the BFG AT KO Load-E or try the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac Load-E. They both fall in the same price range and have read all the reviews here and other forums regarding both tires. A part of me says to go the tried and tested method.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Tires are going to be needed soon and I'm debating if I should stay with the BFG AT KO Load-E or try the Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac Load-E. They both fall in the same price range and have read all the reviews here and other forums regarding both tires. A part of me says to go the tried and tested method.

I'm a big fan of the BFG AT's, I have no experience with the duratracs.

Sticking with the same size ?

richard310

pew pew
Yes sticking with 265/75-16. I like the contact patch the 265's provide. Running 235/85 seems a bit too narrow for a truck, but I know its also the more popular choice among the ExPo folks here. Also it will be a bit taller which I don't want to affect MPG anymore all the mods have done already. I may try something new this time around.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Yes sticking with 265/75-16. I like the contact patch the 265's provide. Running 235/85 seems a bit too narrow for a truck, but I know its also the more popular choice among the ExPo folks here. Also it will be a bit taller which I don't want to affect MPG anymore all the mods have done already. I may try something new this time around.

235 85 and 265 75 are the exact same height. The 265 us just an inch wider. I love the look on my near stock height Xterra. Yours has enough kuft they might look too skinny.

richard310

pew pew
235 85 and 265 75 are the exact same height. The 265 us just an inch wider. I love the look on my near stock height Xterra. Yours has enough kuft they might look too skinny.

Ha you are right. They are the same height... Didn't even think about that when I typed it. :p

The current tires have an unknown age and mileage. They are cracking quite a bit so the age must be pretty high. My last trip out at the end of the run, the tires started to chunk, along with chunks ready to come off. Plus my alignment is off and the front end has some severe positive camber after a 2000mile road trip. The front two are worn past the indicators from the positive camber but the rears are salvageable. I'm going to rotate to try and prolong the life a tad bit more. A change will be necessary though quite soon.
I am a fan of the way the Duratracs look with more of an actual A/T tread pattern and shoulder, and have heard good things about them. But I love the well tested longevity and bulletproof build of the BFGs... it still pains me when the total cost is added up. :(

quaintbucket

Observer
BFG AT KO2 is coming out in October. Are you able to wait till then...? Because they will probably clear out the old KO stock.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
BFG AT KO2 is coming out in October. Are you able to wait till then...? Because they will probably clear out the old KO stock.

Very true. Its actually bad timing for me. My spare is still unused but the set on the truck likely has another year at least on them. Would love to pick up three 235 85s on clearance

richard310

pew pew

Very true. Its actually bad timing for me. My spare is still unused but the set on the truck likely has another year at least on them. Would love to pick up three 235 85s on clearance

I'm sure others will have the same mindset on cashing in on the clearance'd out KO's. I'll see if I can milk these current old things until October. That'll give me time to save a bit of change and dwell on KO2 vs Duratrac's.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I'm sure others will have the same mindset on cashing in on the clearance'd out KO's. I'll see if I can milk these current old things until October. That'll give me time to save a bit of change and dwell on KO2 vs Duratrac's.

I always think about my next set of tires, new sizes and especially new brands, more aggressive less aggressive. Then I always come back to the fact that my BFG ATs have done every single thing I have ever asked of them, including quiet and comfortable on many many highway miles.

The grass isn't always greener :ylsmoke:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk