*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

rickashay

Explorer
no rush on the headlights but do you have somewhat of an ETA?

also I picked up some Prototype TRD headers, which looks just like yours but a tad different where the 4 pipes come together (collector) anyways, since we both have 2004 and the headers are for 2000-2002 that has two bolt flanges vs our 3 bolts. do you know if the headers meet the factory cat piping? because i have the 2 bolt flanges cut off from a 2000 tundra cat i can use. if the pipes meet, i can just cut and weld in the 2 bolt flange to the cat's pipe.

no rush on the headlights but do you have somewhat of an ETA?

also I picked up some Prototype TRD headers, which looks just like yours but a tad different where the 4 pipes come together (collector) anyways, since we both have 2004 and the headers are for 2000-2002 that has two bolt flanges vs our 3 bolts. do you know if the headers meet the factory cat piping? because i have the 2 bolt flanges cut off from a 2000 tundra cat i can use. if the pipes meet, i can just cut and weld in the 2 bolt flange to the cat's pipe.

ETA on the lights: end of April ship date. It would have been a week or two sooner but I now have an impromptu trip to Houston this Sunday for a week (for work), which effectively kills two of my weekends!

I am pretty sure the headers do not bolt up to the factory exhaust, which is weird considering they are an OEM part. DirtyDeeds made me new stainless flanges to use with the headers that are also 2-bolt.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
ETA on the lights: end of April ship date. It would have been a week or two sooner but I now have an impromptu trip to Houston this Sunday for a week (for work), which effectively kills two of my weekends!

I am pretty sure the headers do not bolt up to the factory exhaust, which is weird considering they are an OEM part. DirtyDeeds made me new stainless flanges to use with the headers that are also 2-bolt.

Thanks for the update. One of my HIDs went out and I rather wait for yours instead of fixing my current setup. I think I killed it on the extremely bumpy roads in Mojave and driving way to fast thru them.

The TRD are made for 2000-2002 tundra only. This was when it was still two bolt flange. The 2003 and up use three bolt flange. I just need to know if the TRD headers line up with the factory piping. If they meet than that makes it a tad easier for me. If they meet up. I was just gonna cut the original 3 bolt flange at cat and weld my 2 bolt flange on than it will bolt up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickashay

Explorer
Thanks for the update. One of my HIDs went out and I rather wait for yours instead of fixing my current setup. I think I killed it on the extremely bumpy roads in Mojave and driving way to fast thru them.

The TRD are made for 2000-2002 tundra only. This was when it was still two bolt flange. The 2003 and up use three bolt flange. I just need to know if the TRD headers line up with the factory piping. If they meet than that makes it a tad easier for me. If they meet up. I was just gonna cut the original 3 bolt flange at cat and weld my 2 bolt flange on than it will bolt up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yah my old flanges were 3 bolt, but the longtubes won't line up with the flange. My TRD headers come down quite a bit farther than the old flange before the cats. I'm away until Saturday, but might be able to grab a photo when I'm back. Hoping to drop off the Tundra on Sat before I leave for Houston, so that the exhaust is done when I get back.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Dang!! Was hoping for a flange swap and be done. Don't really want my vehicle down that long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickashay

Explorer
Truck is rolling again!
- 4.56 Yukon Gears
- ARB Air lockers front and rear
- TRD Long Tube Headers
- DirtyDeeds/"Mad Scientist" lol stainless custom center section (Y-Pipe, Magnaflow hi-flow cats)
- Borla "catback"

IMG_4605.jpg
by RickaShay24, on Flickr

I have a popping/clicking sound coming from the front end that I need to troubleshoot. Only occurs when driving slow and usually when the suspension cycling and/or when I'm turning. Hope it's nothing major.

Just need to be patient and NOT flog the truck. Need to drive around in 4WD for 500kms to properly break the gears in. No high speeds, and no long distance trips. So I can't even make any real "driveability" comparisons with the gears and new exhaust until then.

My brother and I snapped a couple pics for fun last night since it was the first time I've really driven my truck in over 2 months.

IMG_4634.jpg

IMG_4633.jpg

IMG_4641.jpg

IMG_4646.jpg

A couple weeks ago I was back in Nelson BC visiting my fam. Grabbed a couple photos of my Dad's truck at a pretty wicked old mill location:

IMG_4599.jpg

IMG_4600.jpg

Derek24

Explorer
Looks great! The clicking sounds like CV's? Must be killing you since you can't get on it and see what it does!

rickashay

Explorer
Looks great! The clicking sounds like CV's? Must be killing you since you can't get on it and see what it does!

Oh, you have no idea.... haha it revs SO much faster is all I can really tell as of now. But that will be a combination of the gears and free-flowing exhaust.

CV's is what I was thinking. I just find it weird that they were perfectly fine (no clicks/pops) before the diff install. I wonder if one of the shafts isn't properly seated in the axle or something. Going to throw the truck on the jack stands as we speak. and tinker a bit. Hopefully it's something easy. Although, new CV's aren't hard to change either but damn I just want to drive the thing!

City_Rider

Adventurer
Front diff mounting bolts? I had a pop/clunk when I got on the gas... I was the front diff shifting on my diff drop. I dunno, just spit ballin'. You're smart enough to figure it out!

tyv12

Adventurer
Exhaust looks amazing, I'll be interested to see how loud it is

rickashay

Explorer
Front diff mounting bolts? I had a pop/clunk when I got on the gas... I was the front diff shifting on my diff drop. I dunno, just spit ballin'. You're smart enough to figure it out!

Funny you say this... My initial thought was that the diff was moving around. However I went under there today to check every bolt that I un-did while the truck was apart (minus the headers themselves of course) and everything checked out ok. I wonder if I somehow installed the diff mounting bolts in the wrong order or upside down now that I think about it....

My other thought is the steering rack. I still haven't put in the new bushings and when someone turned the wheel while I was underneath I could physically see the rack moving (and clicking) back and forth inside of the worn bushings. I still think I would have noticed this before though... not immediately after the diff install.

Exhaust looks amazing, I'll be interested to see how loud it is

Thanks! Surprisingly quite. But the Borla catback I have has a 21 or 24" (can't remember) muffler.... which is pretty large. That and still having the cats in place make it very respectful at lower rpms. Doesn't get loud until about 4500RPM but that's just in neutral. I haven't gunned it under load yet with the fresh gears in there. I'll get a sound clip when I get back from Texas in a couple weeks.

the kid

Juke Box Hero
ill be interested in hearing the exhaust too... ive been thinking about getting a set of headers from DT for my 04 GX470 and running those with a aftermarket exhaust. i want something quiet while around 3k and below, but i want it to growl above that. i like the lexus quietness for simple driving and with the family but i want a nice V8 growl when i get on it.

love this truck man, keep it up!

rickashay

Explorer
You are going to LOVE that exhaust when you finally get to step on it...enjoy:)

I know.... can't wait! It sounds so good too.

ill be interested in hearing the exhaust too... ive been thinking about getting a set of headers from DT for my 04 GX470 and running those with a aftermarket exhaust. i want something quiet while around 3k and below, but i want it to growl above that. i like the lexus quietness for simple driving and with the family but i want a nice V8 growl when i get on it.

love this truck man, keep it up!

I hear yah... I didn't want something obnoxious either, especially being a nice Lexus I can see your point. I would still do longtubes though if your going to swap your headers. Worth it for the extra power alone. Let's see some mods to your Lexus?! You still have the 4Runner too??

Any luck locating the problem you were having?

Negative. Part of the problem is I had to run back down to Houston for work and will be here until the 27th. Hard to solve a problem when I'm 2000 miles away! haha It's choking me actually. I hate when stuff isn't working right and I can't get it fixed. Just knowing I have an "issue" to address when I get back is irritating.

As soon as I'm home I've got some headlights to build before work continues on the truck!

rickashay

Explorer
My brother just let me know that a nice package showed up for me today..... finally, the long long long long long long long wait is over and my coilovers have arrived. :Wow1:

But on the flip side I won't be putting them in for another month or so. I decided that with my lack of time and the need to have the truck operational before June (camp-ready), the rear Chevy swap is going to have to wait. My plan is to focus on the rear storage setup and tent rack. I'll be keeping the 3-leaf progressive AAL until the Chevy swap happens but I decided to order some Fox IFP rear shocks to give me some decent shock performance to hold me over and match the front sorta. I want to install it all at once, but alas I need to wait for the IFP's to be built before they will be shipped. I ran the Fox IFP shocks on my 80 and was very pleased with them for the price point, so I thought I'd go that route again, as temporary as it might be. Chevy swap will be my project for next winter/spring.

The spec'd Fox IFP rear shocks for the 1st gen Tundra are 8" stroke and designed for 0-1" lift:
(PN: 980-24-674)
Extended - 22.45"
Collapsed - 14.35"

I ordered the 10" stroke version (not specifically for the Tundra) which have a ~1.5" longer compressed length but will allow substantially more droop. Should give me max droop with the factory leaf pack and shackle design. I might have to lower the bumpstops slightly so as to not over-compress the shocks but that would not be so bad anyway, as it would keep my rear tires out of the body.

Shock measurements that I ordered are as follows:
(PN: 985-24-009)
Extended - 26.150”
Compressed - 16.050"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater