*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

andrewwheatley

Chevy swap? I need an explanation! I saw the video of the truck without exhaust via instagram... so unreal and angry sounding haha Your build thread makes me want to spend too much money but I'm not mad about it haha

rickashay

Explorer
Chevy swap? I need an explanation! I saw the video of the truck without exhaust via instagram... so unreal and angry sounding haha Your build thread makes me want to spend too much money but I'm not mad about it haha

haha thanks, I don't apologize. haha

Where did you get O2 sensor extension cable ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Made it myself. Just cut the wires and extended the length of each, then re-soldered it back together. I'm throwing a P0430 code right now but I think it's due to me using a guage of wire too thin on one of my extensions as the other one hasn't thrown a code. I should be able to remedy and confirm once I'm back in Canada.

Question about tires. Do you like the Toyo MTs or the Goodyear Wrangler MTRs better?

The Kevlars were great offroad, there is no doubt about it. However they are absolutely terrible to balance and they wear quite fast. Toyo's are heavier and more expensive but balanced better than any offroad tire I've ever had. I consider them equal (so far) offroad. With the V8, I would go Toyo's again in a heartbeat.

rickashay

Explorer
Getting pretty excited for the truck. Really going to start to become something in the next couple months. I'll be back in Canada supposedly for the rest of the summer!

Big news, decided to bob the bed. It was my original plan with the truck but then I started to just think I could use the full box length. I really like the look of a bob when it's done clean and proper, and really I think with a well thought out RTT rack I can achieve all of my storage needs and then some. May have to ditch the Toneau Retrax which is a bummer (I really like how my gear is kept locked and dry) but I believe that running the RTT cage to the frame makes more sense, especially considering how flimsy the C-Channel frames are. If I kept the Tonneau it would be wicked, but I would have to run the bed cage off the top of the box or bedsides. Hoping for 10" on the bob.

I've starting scribbling a drawing for the cage and it's going to have the following:
- a shelving rack at ~box height to store Action Packers
- Room under the shelf to fit a spare tire/wheel
- "roll bar" infront of the RTT so the rack edge will sit just above the roof and allow a small wind fairing. The RTT will be mounted about 2-3" higher than the roof with a custom fairing infront
- Room for a small pullout platform and a hard mounted stove/propane near the rear of the box
- Shovel, axe, and hi-lift mounts
- It must look ************. hahah

Areas to ponder as I want all things hard mounted or have their own "place" to avoid camp-setup and tear-down. I want this truck to be a utility designed around my needs.
- Where do I keep my spare fuel/rotopax?
- water storage?
- swing out bumper? Was trying to keep the rear bumper light and super simple but those Rotopax could tuck nicely against the tail gate.

I found a local fabricator who does AMAZING work with tube and plate. Going to arrange the bed-cage and sliders to be built as soon as he can book me in. RTT from the awesome dudes at ARB is ordered as of today.

Home on Monday. Sorry for the delay on the headlights everyone. I will be working on them next week and next weekend so I will have them ready to ship in 1-2 weeks. These are my priority when I get home.

Oh, and I decided to rock the new SCS wheel color (sorta new) Matte Dark Bronze.

Thanks for following along.

bkg

Explorer
I have to ask, cause clearly I am quite slow.... In the vein of expedition, what does bobbing the bed do, besides reducing storage? Seems counter productive to me.

/tacoma with 12" bobbed bed.

rickashay

Explorer
I have to ask, cause clearly I am quite slow.... In the vein of expedition, what does bobbing the bed do, besides reducing storage? Seems counter productive to me.

/tacoma with 12" bobbed bed.

Not a bad question at all... It most definitely does reduce storage capacity. What it gains is a drastic increase in departure angle, and admittedly a little bit of aesthetic novelty. The 1st Gen Tundra faults from having an insanely large rear overhang behind the rear wheel (check my side profile photos...). Some people will cut the lower portions of the bedsides (like on the high-clearance Tacoma bumpers - See "sean_pistol" and "dyogim"). This helps but still doesn't make it as functional (capability wise) as the bob.

Really goes back to your uses.... I'll effectively be turning my "long box" into a "short box". For my uses I should still have plenty of cargo space. Also recall that I do plan to squeeze "Doug" down the Rubicon in the next couple years. I'm after capability as well as an expedition rig for the type of expeditions (and duration) I partake, thus the "compromise". If I can setup the rear to meet my cargo needs with a shorter box, I've just added some new hit points to the capability sector.

For a good reference, check out this 1st Gen Tacoma build that I adore - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-builds/269822-mrbeggins-04-tacoma-build.html

He's wheeled Moab, Rubicon, Dusy Ershim and driven to all those places several times from here in Calgary, Canada. 35's, tubbed firewall, bobbed bed, low suspension lift, and bilstein shocks. See a trend? lol

bkg

Explorer
Not a bad question at all... It most definitely does reduce storage capacity. What it gains is a drastic increase in departure angle, and admittedly a little bit of aesthetic novelty. The 1st Gen Tundra faults from having an insanely large rear overhang behind the rear wheel (check my side profile photos...). Some people will cut the lower portions of the bedsides (like on the high-clearance Tacoma bumpers - See "sean_pistol" and "dyogim"). This helps but still doesn't make it as functional (capability wise) as the bob.

Really goes back to your uses.... I'll effectively be turning my "long box" into a "short box". For my uses I should still have plenty of cargo space. Also recall that I do plan to squeeze "Doug" down the Rubicon in the next couple years. I'm after capability as well as an expedition rig for the type of expeditions (and duration) I partake, thus the "compromise". If I can setup the rear to meet my cargo needs with a shorter box, I've just added some new hit points to the capability sector.

For a good reference, check out this 1st Gen Tacoma build that I adore - http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-builds/269822-mrbeggins-04-tacoma-build.html

He's wheeled Moab, Rubicon, Dusy Ershim and driven to all those places several times from here in Calgary, Canada. 35's, tubbed firewall, bobbed bed, low suspension lift, and bilstein shocks. See a trend? lol

So after reading all of that, I still don't see the value. Overhang can be addressed by armor, but reducing storage.... Can't. Looks? Hard to argue. 01tundra's truck looked stellar. He did an amazing job. I can only say this. In planning for an upcoming camping trip, the missing 12" on my Tacoma is making it f'n hard to pack.....

rickashay

Explorer
So after reading all of that, I still don't see the value. Overhang can be addressed by armor, but reducing storage.... Can't. Looks? Hard to argue. 01tundra's truck looked stellar. He did an amazing job. I can only say this. In planning for an upcoming camping trip, the missing 12" on my Tacoma is making it f'n hard to pack.....

Sorry for the verbage. haha Overhang can be addressed by armor but to what extent - why do we put bigger tires on the trucks? As lack of ground clearance can also technically be cured with armor. I think it depends again on your uses, all give and take and you obviously need the storage capacity as a priority. Valid arguments nonetheless.

Yes. 01Tundra :wings:

tyv12

Adventurer
Yes bob that sucker, you've been looking at 01tundras build on pirate haven't you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater