*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

City_Rider

Adventurer
I'm leaning this way too.... but I already can't keep the idea of a 3 link up front out of my head.

Are you nuckin' futs?

Didn't you get rid of the LC80 because it had a solid axle? I think you need like, 4 vehicles. One a SAS. One a LT desert racer. One a Subaru. And one that's always in pieces in the garage so you can't fit the other 3 in there to work on them!

rickashay

Explorer
Did you purchase the pro kit or basic kit for your light underneath the hood?

Basic kit.

Are you nuckin' futs?

Didn't you get rid of the LC80 because it had a solid axle? I think you need like, 4 vehicles. One a SAS. One a LT desert racer. One a Subaru. And one that's always in pieces in the garage so you can't fit the other 3 in there to work on them!

Haha sure did. Let's be honest, the IFS will be staying for a while. But I can see myself buying a 5th gen 4runner or something in the next 5+ years and using it for "family" wheeling. Where does that leave the Tundra? Well it would leave it as a perfect candidate to become a wicked crawler. Besides my major quams with the 80 was the power plant. I seriously considered a motor swap and 3-link on the cruiser before I sold it. If I had unlimited time, knowledge, and money that would have happened. However, reality proved to be the stronger foe, and here I am today. I've had the tundra for two years now. The fact that I honestly haven't thought once about selling it, proves that it's going to be around a while. Normally after two years I would have picked out all the vehicle flaws and thought of something else to replace it. Such is not the case with this truck.

Besides, my Subaru will be sold in two weeks so I've got some car shopping to do to keep me busy. Haha

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
You have the same sickness my friend has. We call it: "can'tleavesh*taloneosis" Unfortunately, it's terminal. You'll be doing this forever.

:D

rickashay

Explorer
The landcruiser with a 4bt Cummins sure would have been cool.... :sombrero:

Too true!

Haha, I've had underwear longer than some of your cars!

What's going to replace the leggie?

******** also probably true. It's ok, its going to a good home.... fellow Toyota enthusiast's new DD.

What will replace it? Not sure to be honest. My fiance has a bland red-headed 03' Corolla that could be replaced with something a little newer/nicer. Once the Tundra rolls out of the garage I won't be in a huge rush to replace the legacy. Kinda keeping an eye open for something nice but boring. Something I wont want to mod. Thinking 04-09' Acura TSX (with a 6 speed would be nice) or even a 10-12' Corolla XRS, or 08-10' Civic Si. Mainly for the fiance..... the kicker is when I get her something, I can sell the Corolla and start saving for that SC400 project I've always desired in the back of my head. With an R154 5-speed swap, some fancy suspension, Work wheels, and maybe some custom twins on the all-aluminum 1UZ? Yah, haven't thought about it much. hahaha

You have the same sickness my friend has. We call it: "can'tleavesh*taloneosis" Unfortunately, it's terminal. You'll be doing this forever.

:D

I can only pray your wrong. haha

UPDATE

Truck is on it's wheels. Headers in, diffs in, air lines ran to compressor area, and installed the Wheelers stainless extended lines seeing as how I had to bleed the brakes.

Left to do:
- Install F/R locker solenoids and plug the air lines in
- wiring for lockers is already ran, just need to cut hole in the dash for the OTRATTW switch panel and put them in.
- Drive around with open headers for a day before taking it to an exhaust shop to get the system tied together. I must admit, it sounds INSANE with open headers. I started the truck at 10:45pm Sunday night in the garage. Sorry neighbours.

Headlight Update

Just wanted to chime in with an update on the lights. I had an issue with one of the sets of light housings that I ordered. It was not the correct light. It was the correct Tundra light but when they normally send me TYC brand, this time it was some other brand that used composite/permaseal glue. Typically this is only common on the DC models. Waiting for the new set to arrive but the others are all opened up and waiting for the Dremel. Seeing as how I am building them step-by-step and all at once, this will slow the production line down a couple weeks. I apologize for the delay but kind of a weird situation. Feel free to PM me with any questions or specific updates on progress if your curious. Thanks Gents!

Last edited:

Chaser88

Observer
It was SCARY how loud the truck was with the open headers. Every time he started it up I jumped uncontrollably. AWESOME hahaha

City_Rider

Adventurer
I can only imagine open headers with an additional 2 cylinders.

When taking my rig down to Carline on MacLeod I wore ear plugs and it was still hilarious to see people staring. Fun times!

Keep the progress coming! When are you 'investing' in a place to keep all these toys? Figured that out yet?

rickashay

Explorer
I can only imagine open headers with an additional 2 cylinders.

When taking my rig down to Carline on MacLeod I wore ear plugs and it was still hilarious to see people staring. Fun times!

Keep the progress coming! When are you 'investing' in a place to keep all these toys? Figured that out yet?

Hahah I was thinking about that.... how rowdy will this thing be when I have to drive it across town to the exhaust shop! Earplugs, not a bad idea.

Well I currently rent out a garage with a buddy of mine and that's where the truck and my tools live. I'm in no rush to purchase a house right now as I want to wait and see what the Calgary real estate market is going to do with this downturn in oil. I've still got my house in Lethbridge so I can always pull the equity out of that and keep renting it out or I might just decide to sell it this summer and be ready to buy something when the timing is right. Not sure yet. As bad as it sounds, and I think I'm pretty secure with my job, you just never know right now. Phoenix is like 40-50% smaller now than it was 3 months ago, the office is like a ghost town. Crazy.

I hope you get a sound clip before the exhaust...

I'll try and grab one, although I think it might just sound like violent muffled garbage on a microphone. haha I'll give it a whirl though.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
no rush on the headlights but do you have somewhat of an ETA?

also I picked up some Prototype TRD headers, which looks just like yours but a tad different where the 4 pipes come together (collector) anyways, since we both have 2004 and the headers are for 2000-2002 that has two bolt flanges vs our 3 bolts. do you know if the headers meet the factory cat piping? because i have the 2 bolt flanges cut off from a 2000 tundra cat i can use. if the pipes meet, i can just cut and weld in the 2 bolt flange to the cat's pipe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach