*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

rickashay

Explorer
Well I think that you definately should go beadlocks this fall cuz that's about the time I'll be needing some bronze SCS wheels...

Still thinking about it for sure... Just need to decide if I should jump up to a 17" wheel. Or just have some new F5s sent to OMF and keep my current rubber. I'm always back and forth on this. If I got to a 17 I'll probably go with a Toyo RT or ST Maxx to shave some lbs.

Hey Addison, where do you normally buy your LS460 Projectors?

The Retrofit Source. Andrew there now mods them so they come tuned and easier to mount out of the box. They are called the LS-460-R. They ain't cheap but they are ************. 4runner retro?

Still thinking about it for sure... Just need to decide if I should jump up to a 17" wheel. Or just have some new F5s sent to OMF and keep my current rubber. I'm always back and forth on this. If I got to a 17 I'll probably go with a Toyo RT or ST Maxx to shave some lbs.

The Retrofit Source. Andrew there now mods them so they come tuned and easier to mount out of the box. They are called the LS-460-R. They ain't cheap but they are ************. 4runner retro?
Make the jump to 17's. 16 is a dying size.

Ya I want to redo my Retro for something a little bit better. I'm probably gonna use my current projectors in my Dad's Porsche.

A friend and I did this last week. Pretty sweet. 2 Amber LED's and 2 White. The amber are wired to turn signals and the white are the standard corner lights.

Untitled by Connor Rhoades, on Flickr

Sorry to photo dump in your thread

toyotech

Expedition Leader
17 and 35s is suppose to be a perfect balance of rim and rubber ratio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bkg

Explorer
Too much side wall and you get too much tire roll for high speed stuff. If you look at what they make bead locks rim in. Most are 17" rims.

most bead-locks being 17" wheels has zero to do with the "best sidewall to height ratio." While I don't disagree that it's probably the best appearing combination, I really challenge your reasoning. Having owned over a dozen lifted vehicles w/ 35"+ rubber, I'd challenge you reasoning. Too many other variables to consider to land on your position - weight, tire construction, suspension type, desired use of vehicle, etc.

rickashay

Explorer
Make the jump to 17's. 16 is a dying size.

Ya I want to redo my Retro for something a little bit better. I'm probably gonna use my current projectors in my Dad's Porsche.

A friend and I did this last week. Pretty sweet. 2 Amber LED's and 2 White. The amber are wired to turn signals and the white are the standard corner lights.

Very cool! Those corner lights can be a b**ch to get the lenses off. Did you 3d print that little red seat for the LEDs?

The LS460 projectors are insane. Although for the effort involved, the morimoto mini h1 has been improved leaps and bounds. Not sure what you have in there now? What areas of lighting performance do you want to see improved?

17 and 35s is suppose to be a perfect balance of rim and rubber ratio.

I agree with Connor that the 16 is fading. However, I really like having all that sidewall.... It's like an extra 9.5" of suspension travel! Lol

I just need to convince Vin at SCS to make a 17" wheel with 3.5" backspacing. I have been eyeing the Trail Ready beadlocks lately tho...time will tell.

trailscape

Explorer
I was kind of pissed when I got my '06 when I realized it had 17s on it. I really wanted to swap my brand new 16" tires from my '02 onto it. Also have a set of hid projectors headlights lying about that could be repair from that 02.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Personally I dont get the tall wheel look on off road trucks. I can understand why someone would want to run 17 inch wheels, however. There are a lot more Load Range D options for 17s.. basically more flexible tires. Not sure I'd say the 16 inch size is dying there are still lots of size options available. Especially compared to 15 inch wheels! That's what I have and I'm stepping up to 16s real soon.

rickashay

Explorer
most bead-locks being 17" wheels has zero to do with the "best sidewall to height ratio." While I don't disagree that it's probably the best appearing combination, I really challenge your reasoning. Having owned over a dozen lifted vehicles w/ 35"+ rubber, I'd challenge you reasoning. Too many other variables to consider to land on your position - weight, tire construction, suspension type, desired use of vehicle, etc.

Truth. High speed performance only matters if that is your use. Too many variables in the equation to say "this is the best setup".

Personally I dont get the tall wheel look on off road trucks. I can understand why someone would want to run 17 inch wheels, however. There are a lot more Load Range D options for 17s.. basically more flexible tires. Not sure I'd say the 16 inch size is dying there are still lots of size options available. Especially compared to 15 inch wheels! That's what I have and I'm stepping up to 16s real soon.

I actually like the small wheel, big tire look. 16's are a good size but there is definitely more options overall in a 17. I dont ever plan on changing my tire size though and I really don't think the 315/75/16 size will disappear any time soon.

What wheels you going to run on the T100?

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
I actually like the small wheel, big tire look. 16's are a good size but there is definitely more options overall in a 17. I dont ever plan on changing my tire size though and I really don't think the 315/75/16 size will disappear any time soon.

What wheels you going to run on the T100?

Small wheel big tire means more tire compression when aired down ;)

I scored a set of FJ80 five spoke alloys. I've always liked the look of those wheels! They're a 16x8 with a 4 inch (or 4.5 can't remember) backspace. I have some 1.5" Spidertrax in the garage to push the tires back out again.

Wheels are currently sitting at the powder coater's awaiting Trail Team Anthracite gray :D

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Small wheel big tire means more tire compression when aired down ;)

I scored a set of FJ80 five spoke alloys. I've always liked the look of those wheels! They're a 16x8 with a 4 inch (or 4.5 can't remember) backspace. I have some 1.5" Spidertrax in the garage to push the tires back out again.

Wheels are currently sitting at the powder coater's awaiting Trail Team Anthracite gray :D

Love my FJ80 rims. Painted metallic charcoal Good thing you got wheel spacers as the fronts won't work without them.
f82b28d224be1aed316e4ed73c61753f.jpg

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Love my FJ80 rims. Painted metallic charcoal Good thing you got wheel spacers as the fronts won't work without them.

Those look great! I'm really glad I got em.
The hub size on these wheels must be different than the Tundra? My truck had 17" tundra 5 spokes when I bought it so I know those cleared just fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven