*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

rickashay

Explorer
Those look great! I'm really glad I got em.
The hub size on these wheels must be different than the Tundra? My truck had 17" tundra 5 spokes when I bought it so I know those cleared just fine.

The fjz80 wheels are the strongest Toyota wheel ever manufactured (read that somewhere when researching when I put them on my old 4runner). They are drop forged, fairly light, and look excellent! Very cool and stoked to see them on the T100. They are 4.5" BS with 0mm offset. The perfect setup for keeping the leverage low on your wheel bearings.

They should fit your T100 fine... The fitment issues with them on our Tundras is due to the brake calipers. I had Tundra brakes on my 3rd gen and had to run a 5mm slip spacer so the 80 series wheels would clear the caliper.

Future plans are many for Doug.... But I've got some major changes inbound in my life so I've been saving instead of spending on the truck. I'm looking at making a career change and moving back to BC in the next year so I've got a lot of things going on.

That being said, I will be doing the shackle flip next weekend then I'll begin filling the body holes. LineX after that and maybe a bit of vinyl work. The next step will probably be aluminum skids or a front bumper... But well see how big my tax return is first! Haha

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
I figured it must be a caliper issue on specific vehicles. I was immediately impressed with how light the wheels are when I picked them up. I think they may even be lighter than the 15" alloys I have on now.. I will definitely do a weight comparison. If they are lighter I'll be very happy to counter the heavier tires that I will be running.

I'm really excited to finally see the shackle flip progress. I will stay tuned! And vinyl sounds interesting as well.. :coffee:

Are you going to tint the LineX to color match it somewhat?

Last edited:

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I figured it must be a caliper issue on specific vehicles. I was immediately impressed with how light the wheels are when I picked them up. I think they may even be lighter than the 15" alloys I have on now.. I will definitely do a weight comparison. If they are lighter I'll be very happy to counter the heavier tires that I will be running.

I'm really excited to finally see the shackle flip progress. I will stay tuned! And vinyl sounds interesting as well.. :coffee:

Are you going to tint the LineX to color match it somewhat?

Only Toyota rim I know that is 8" wide and very light for its size. Lighter than the factory 16x7 rims. I prefer factory rims for its fit and finish. Plus they usually can be had for less. I actually have two sets of FJ80 rims. Traded a free set of tundra rims for them lol.

rickashay

Explorer
It's been a while Doug.

The sun has been shining and I have been turning wrenches. Thought today was a good day to stretch the legs.

IMG_6696.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_6691.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Truck is basically bumped perfectly on all 4 corners right now. Just need to get a longer shackle in there and maybe some leaves with more arch and better spring rate for all the weight I carry. More deets coming on the shackle flip kit from Archive Garage very soon!

IMG_6688.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

rickashay

Explorer
Looks good. Did it lift the truck any?

I will post up full details later but my initial measurements were 3/8" over stock height, using the stock shackle. But that was with me only jumping on the rear bumper a few times to "settle" the suspension before I took the measurement. I've since driven it on the road for a couple days and will need to grab another to verify where it's sitting now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What was the gain in travel over the stock shackle then?

I'm going to have to do some digging on that. I will have to check through my notes and see if I ever wrote down what I figured I was getting for travel before. I only recently found this good "flex ramp". I can tell you though that right now the shackle/leafs are the current limitations in droop. I have some shock left still in the photo above but the shackle was almost parallel with the leaf in the rear - ie. fully extended. A longer shackle (which I will be running soon) should allow more droop, or further extension of the leaves if I understand it correctly. I can imagine that a proper leaf pack (like your custom Alcans) would yield even more because they have more arch in them. Learning as I go here... haven't had enough leaf sprung trucks yet. I'm debating running 0.5-1" longer shackle in the rear and doing leaves right away so i can "finish" the rear suspension. I was thinking of running 12" stroke shocks in the future with a custom upper/lower shock mount but honestly the 10" Fox's are great. If I can milk another inch or so out of the current setup without changing shock mounts, I'm going to upgrade to 10" resi rear shocks and call it a day. It's not a crawler and it flexes fairly well already!

tyv12

Adventurer
Makes sense, alcans are sitting in med hat so should have them in in the next couple weeks, I'll do lots of before and after pics

City_Rider

Adventurer
I just took a set of fox 10" RR eye to eye shocks off my 4Runner. Not sure if the compression adjustment valve is working but if you're interested let me know. I'll be putting them up for sale soon.

rickashay

Explorer
I just took a set of fox 10" RR eye to eye shocks off my 4Runner. Not sure if the compression adjustment valve is working but if you're interested let me know. I'll be putting them up for sale soon.

I'd need eye to pin end. Still debating on what to do with the rear and the 10" Fox's I have under there now are doing the trick for now. Thanks though!

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
Great build. Good to see you stuck with mid travel...not that long travel isn't fun, it's just a never ending money endeavor. And mid travel cuts the difference is suspension travel. With UCAs you should be at double digit numbers up front.

Question about the access cab, how would you compare rear seat room to your old 4runner? I know there's more width, is it noticeable? And is the leg room and seat angle/comfort comparable?

Been wanting to move to a double cab tundra but it'd be nice to avoid that extra foot of wheelbase

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Great build. Good to see you stuck with mid travel...not that long travel isn't fun, it's just a never ending money endeavor. And mid travel cuts the difference is suspension travel. With UCAs you should be at double digit numbers up front.

Question about the access cab, how would you compare rear seat room to your old 4runner? I know there's more width, is it noticeable? And is the leg room and seat angle/comfort comparable?

Been wanting to move to a double cab tundra but it'd be nice to avoid that extra foot of wheelbase

I would test drive both and see if you can live with less space or never be able to u turn lol. One u turn attempt on the DC made me go AC. If I needed comfy back seats. I would have done a sequoia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MaverickTRD

Adventurer
I would test drive both and see if you can live with less space or never be able to u turn lol. One u turn attempt on the DC made me go AC. If I needed comfy back seats. I would have done a sequoia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for the input. no seqouia here. i need a truck since I sold my taco. Have the 4runner for SUV duties, but may consider replacing with a tundra.
if the space just isn't manageable I'll move to a double cab.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven