*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

rickashay

Explorer
Looking great Addison. This has been a good reminder for me to jump on my subwoofer relocation project. I want to mount it in the back side panel with a custom box and cover. The obvious gains would be increased interior storage on the back bench but also increased safety. My box isn't currently secured in any way and would surely go airborne in an accident.

Thanks Jeremiah! Yah it's one of those things you really don't want to think about happening, but should definitely be considered. I sub it in the head would suck. haha

PS, meant to comment on your rig in the "post your photos thread". Glad you've been getting out and using the truck already this season. Looking good as always. There is a chance I'll be heading for Portland with the truck again this summer as I may be working with a startup from down there on a super cool project for Doug. If I do, I'll let you know the dates and we should try and meet up for a trail? Or a beer? or Coffee? Or all of the above... Oregon has it all in spades.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Thanks Jeremiah! Yah it's one of those things you really don't want to think about happening, but should definitely be considered. I sub it in the head would suck. haha

PS, meant to comment on your rig in the "post your photos thread". Glad you've been getting out and using the truck already this season. Looking good as always. There is a chance I'll be heading for Portland with the truck again this summer as I may be working with a startup from down there on a super cool project for Doug. If I do, I'll let you know the dates and we should try and meet up for a trail? Or a beer? or Coffee? Or all of the above... Oregon has it all in spades.

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that securing the subwoofer enclosure hadn't really crossed my mind. It's certainly a priority now!

Thanks for the kind words, I'd very much like to meet up if you end up coming down this way. I'll shoot you a pm.

I'm intrigued by this 'super cool project'. Is Doug getting bumpers finally??

rickashay

Explorer
I'm a little embarrassed to admit that securing the subwoofer enclosure hadn't really crossed my mind. It's certainly a priority now!

Thanks for the kind words, I'd very much like to meet up if you end up coming down this way. I'll shoot you a pm.

I'm intrigued by this 'super cool project'. Is Doug getting bumpers finally??

Sounds good! A front bumper is on the near horizon. Just trying to decide to go with Dissent Offroad (Benc) or custom. The project from Portland is pretty unique - i've certainly never seen a truck with one before but as a startup, they really haven't marketed much yet. If I end up working with them its looking like I may get to be a part of the product development process a little bit, so I'm leaning on it pretty hard as I have some awesome ideas that I think would benefit us pickup/overland crowd folks. That all I'm spilling for now! haha

UPDATE

Some actual photos of my week's progress. The Storage platform is officially back in the truck. Still a couple minor minor details to wrap up but they are items I can do at a later date. Dave, my friend who did the bulk of the craftsmanship is considering starting a small business out of his garage here in Calgary to do similar custom projects such as this. If your local, and have any interest send me a PM and I can get you in touch with him.

Here it is. Looks quite similar to what it was previous, but the beauty is definitely in the details now. I had cracking along the lateral lines of the butcherblock countertop due to dryness and the lack of bracing underneath the overhang area of the floor. You will notice the ends are now capped to mitigate splitting as well as a leg has been added for support along the overhang area. The channel below the overhang makes a wicked storage spot for guns, fishing rods, or my Hi-Lift.

IMG_6824.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Actual latch and piano hinge added to reduce vibration of the door. Used a Battalion latch (these things are ************!) and finally wired in the BlueSea dual USB port seen top left. The LED toggle switch powers the dual fans used to suck any hot air out from behind the platform for those hot summer days when the inverter is running.

IMG_6825.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Metal overlay for the dual fans that is countersunk for a smooth finish:

IMG_6827.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

One of my favourite details, the Cedar "mantle" for the top cap. We laid this super nice piece of wood down and cut it so it is within 1/16" of the back glass. We then inset a piece of aluminum to act as a lip, so that any items I place up there (like my phone while it's charging) will not slip and fall off the top.

IMG_6829.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Panel opened up to the BlueSea fuse block and inverter:

IMG_6830.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_6831.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Now gotta get the truck packed for my camp trip this Weds!

rickashay

Explorer
That looks amazing. Really got me thinking about taking my seat out again. You can really fit a hi-lift under there?

Thanks! Pretty good way to really utilize the space, the factory A/C rear seats are a joke. If you don't need the seats, this is so useful! In terms of functional mods, this setup will pay for itself 100x over when I'm out camping. Being organized makes everything about camping out of your vehicle that much more enjoyable!

Yah my 48" Hi-Lift basically spans through the tunnel all the way to the other side. Going back to having heavy things secured properly, it also keeps it hidden away if I were to get in some kind of accident. Side benefits are keeping the weight of the hi-lift down low for COG and also having it inside reduces the dust and grime ruining the mechanisms on the jack itself. win. win. win? lol

QuadsBC

Adventurer
Looks awesome! Imagine the space you'd have if you removed the back seats from a double cab. Too bad I need them for kids. Keep up the great work!

toyotech

Expedition Leader
I did a similar shelf in the back seat and its hinged so I can still lift it to access the factory under seat storage. Also a plus was. I can slide the high lift right under the shelf and sit flat. Having across the hump sucks and I can see a lot of wear on the Carpet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rickashay

Explorer
Really diggin' the cedar mantle. Nicely done!

Looks great man!!!!

Thanks guys!

Interior looking awesome bud. Can't wait to get out an wheel this year!

Thanks Matt. Hows the pickup coming along? You on track to have it ready for June?! We should sit down over a beer real soon and put some dates down for a couple weekend trips this summer.

Looks awesome! Imagine the space you'd have if you removed the back seats from a double cab. Too bad I need them for kids. Keep up the great work!

haha no kidding! Love the double cab, I probably wouldn't have to remove the seats if I had one.... definitely a plus. Your rear bumper is coming along nicely also.

I did a similar shelf in the back seat and its hinged so I can still lift it to access the factory under seat storage. Also a plus was. I can slide the high lift right under the shelf and sit flat. Having across the hump sucks and I can see a lot of wear on the Carpet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine is also hinged to allow access to the factory storage. I keep my first aid kit and a couple spare tie rod ends down in there. Stuff I won't normally (hopefully) need access to. Ive had my hi-lift sitting under mine since last year and the carpet is still looking fresh as ever. I usually stuff a blanket, towel, or extra jacket in the tunnel next to the hi-lift. This stops it from moving around while it's under there. Seeing as how my hi-lift is always inside, it never gets rusty or dusty either so it doesnt make a mess of anything.

rickashay

Explorer
It's going to be an exciting week!

First of all, I have submitted an adventure story into the COOPER DISCOVERER contest that is happening right now. Please head over there and read ALL the submissions as there are some really cool stories and photos! Thanks to Cooper for putting on this deadly contest and I wish all the entrants the best of luck!

My entry can be read here - Colossal BC - http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/157170-COOPER-DISCOVERER-Colossal-B-C

Make sure to vote! http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/157484-Peer-Vote-1-COOPER-DISCOVERER-Round-1-Story-Submissions

Been busy packing up the truck and pulling all my gear out of storage in preparation for camping season! Heading out this wednesday for 4 days in the Crowsnest pass where we are doing some filming for a film festival entry we are currently working on. Stoked for the good times ahead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven