*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

SurferJacoby

日本車???最高
Wow

Man I've gotta say I really love what you've done with your Tundra. The wheel/tire setup, platform, etc; look forward to more updates!

Adventurous

Explorer
Have you noticed any odor from the Rattletrap? I started doing deadening with Dynamat and it is odorless but significantly more expensive. I'm contemplating switching over to Rattletrap as well, you should never see it.

rickashay

Explorer
Back from my trip to the mountains. Unfortunately though I dont have many photos or a write up. We were out there exclusively to gather footage for an upcoming film fesitval entry that we are working on. The good news is that once it's done (May 20th deadline) I should be able to post it here for you all to view.

For now.... this will have to do:

IMG_6953.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

IMG_7035.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Can you spot #Goose?

IMG_7044.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Nice and clean:

IMG_7046.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

rickashay

Explorer
Thanks for the link in the other thread regarding the O2 sensor Jeremiah!

Just ordered these from Amazon: Denso #234-4169 Oxygen Sensor

I've been clocking terrible fuel economy (which is expected to some degree) but I've been averaging 14 MPG. I don't really drive with a lead foot and I live at approx. 4500'. I'm beginning to think more and more that it's the crazy amount of rotational mass I have at each corner.... furthering my thoughts on switching up the heavy (but oh so awesome) Toyo MT for something lighter. In the meantime, I thought I'd try replacing the upstream O2's. With my header back exhaust I would think I have a pretty free-flowing exhaust system compared to most on here, which you would think would benefit fuel economy - although it is claimed to bring 40whp to the 2UZ. We'll see what the 02's bring.

Kind of randomly throwing this out there as a feeler - Thinking of a hard shell RTT a lot lately and my wife really likes the idea. Downside is I would have to ditch my current bedrack and ARB RTT. If anyone has any interest in a kickass RTT and Cage for a Tundra shoot me a PM. May even be able to deliver to Vancouver area or anywhere in between there and Calgary.

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Glad to help. I had good results.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Toyo m/t's are very heavy. I'd get an aggressive all terrain. Doesn't seem like you really need a mud terrain. You have dual lockers, and usually go in a group so someone can give ya a tug if needed. I'd get a set of Maxtrax after saving some coin stepping down to the A/T.

Derek24

Explorer
I was wondering when you would ditch those Toyo's! My dad just got rid of his on his RCSB 5.7 Tundra for Firestone Destinantion MT's and loves the difference, his power is back!

vicali

Adventurer
Kind of randomly throwing this out there as a feeler - Thinking of a hard shell RTT a lot lately and my wife really likes the idea.

Why not pull a ajcmedia and look for a boler? Chances are the trips that your wife and eventual family are going to want to go on are not the same kind of trips as the uo guys.. I've never seen a rig pop a RTT in a provincial before - but I've seen a lot of great rigs doing trailer-duty with the family.

rickashay

Explorer
Addison,
Just thought I'd share this site. I know you were looking at maybe designing a custom leaf spring pack awhile back and this spring rate calculator was a valuable resource for me in my recent leaf spring ventures.
http://www.suspensionmaxx.com/tech-support/leaf-spring-calculator/

Great link Jeremiah, thanks for sharing! Still waiting to dial in some other components but this will be on my radar. I have a set of Archive Garage shackles incoming I need to mount up and see where the truck is sitting. Leafs after that.... which reminds me, I need to do a write up on the SFK installl.

I was wondering when you would ditch those Toyo's! My dad just got rid of his on his RCSB 5.7 Tundra for Firestone Destinantion MT's and loves the difference, his power is back!

Noted. I just love the Toyo's it's going to be hard to step away from them. Might be time though...

Why not pull a ajcmedia and look for a boler? Chances are the trips that your wife and eventual family are going to want to go on are not the same kind of trips as the uo guys.. I've never seen a rig pop a RTT in a provincial before - but I've seen a lot of great rigs doing trailer-duty with the family.

I can definitely appreciate your train of thought Mike. The Bolers are very cool and I would really enjoy the "build" process of one. Maybe the reality of children hasn't dawned on me yet but I can't see myself camping very frequently at provincial parks. The wild back country has spoiled me and each time I camp at a camp ground (albeit some of them are gorgeous) I just don't like the idea of the 50ft motorhome with satallite TV parked next to me while I cuddle up to a tiny metal firepit. There are always exemptions to this but I just simply prefer back country camping and hope that I can share that experience with my kids one day - and the wife is also in acceptance of this haha. Watch my reality change once kids start coming though. lol Right now I'd love to get into a SoCal Teardrop Krawler but they are pretty pricey units with the exchange rate the way it is. The hardshell RTT also meets the needs of a large expedition that I am currently throwing around in my head. I should know in a couple weeks if it's a go but it will require some changes to the way the truck is currently built.

Flyer69

Observer
The hardshell RTT also meets the needs of a large expedition that I am currently throwing around in my head. I should know in a couple weeks if it's a go but it will require some changes to the way the truck is currently built.

Which RTT are you eyeballing?:Wow1:

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Great link Jeremiah, thanks for sharing! Still waiting to dial in some other components but this will be on my radar. I have a set of Archive Garage shackles incoming I need to mount up and see where the truck is sitting. Leafs after that.... which reminds me, I need to do a write up on the SFK installl.

Noted. I just love the Toyo's it's going to be hard to step away from them. Might be time though...

I can definitely appreciate your train of thought Mike. The Bolers are very cool and I would really enjoy the "build" process of one. Maybe the reality of children hasn't dawned on me yet but I can't see myself camping very frequently at provincial parks. The wild back country has spoiled me and each time I camp at a camp ground (albeit some of them are gorgeous) I just don't like the idea of the 50ft motorhome with satallite TV parked next to me while I cuddle up to a tiny metal firepit. There are always exemptions to this but I just simply prefer back country camping and hope that I can share that experience with my kids one day - and the wife is also in acceptance of this haha. Watch my reality change once kids start coming though. lol Right now I'd love to get into a SoCal Teardrop Krawler but they are pretty pricey units with the exchange rate the way it is. The hardshell RTT also meets the needs of a large expedition that I am currently throwing around in my head. I should know in a couple weeks if it's a go but it will require some changes to the way the truck is currently built.

I just recently had to tear into my leaf packs and swap some leafs in and some out because the setup I installed about a month ago was hella stiff. I found that calculator and it really helped me compare the pack rate to what it originally was and then I decided what I needed to run. Basically it would have saved me a lot of time if I had used the calculator a month ago haha.

When kid number 2 comes along we are going to add a drawer and sleeping platform setup in the truck bed, then rotate the tent to open up out the back end so the annex allows access and weather protection. Kind of like adding a bedroom :)

rickashay

Explorer
Which RTT are you eyeballing?:Wow1:

JB Discovery Space XXL or the Autohome Columbus Variant (Med - long). I'm 6'6" as mentioned in your thread, so just really trying to get something that fits for length. I like the slimmer profile (width) of the Autohome but the JB seems like it has a lot of nice features and it's more wallet-friendly! Have to let us know how you like yours once you get some nights in it.

I just recently had to tear into my leaf packs and swap some leafs in and some out because the setup I installed about a month ago was hella stiff. I found that calculator and it really helped me compare the pack rate to what it originally was and then I decided what I needed to run. Basically it would have saved me a lot of time if I had used the calculator a month ago haha.

When kid number 2 comes along we are going to add a drawer and sleeping platform setup in the truck bed, then rotate the tent to open up out the back end so the annex allows access and weather protection. Kind of like adding a bedroom :)

^Thats a cool idea! Awesome to have the "bedroom" just outside the canopy. If my rack was taller I would consider copying your idea with my ARB tent, I'm just too damn tall....

UPDATE

With all these bumpers being built (QuadsBC, Sean_Pistol, Toyotech, etc) I was getting tired of looking at my stock rear end.

_DSC1171.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

The idea is to keep it pretty simple and minimalistic. Stealing ideas from other Tundras/Tacomas around the interweb and will see what we come up with. We basically have the design finalized and just need to put it together. Mounts are done and the top crossbar just needs to be welded in place. Damn do these Tundras have some awkwards angles on the rear frame ends. I knew the frame tapered inward but it also has a slight amount of twist to it. The bottom of the frame rails flare outwards so it makes for a tedious time getting everything squared up.

_DSC1172.jpg by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

NOTE: just being held there with clamps above thus the not-so-straight crossbar. I still can't believe how much bedside there is here to trim.
Hoping to have it together tomorrow. Then I'll spend a few hours cleaning it up with a grinder and off to powdercoat!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven