*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

toyotech

Expedition Leader
thanks for the input. no seqouia here. i need a truck since I sold my taco. Have the 4runner for SUV duties, but may consider replacing with a tundra.
if the space just isn't manageable I'll move to a double cab.

I use a trailer for any hauling and I own a tundra and don't have much a of a real bed now that it has a shell on it

cliffthetundra

Addicted OR 1.jpg
Addicted OR 2.jpg

I am unaware if these pictures will show up correctly, but I just wanted to share them as I understand that Addison is still looking for a good looking bumper for Doug. Addicted Offroad, based out of South Carolina, has produced what I beleive to be one of the first good looking bumpers for our trucks to-date! They aren't yet up on their website, but they have posted them on Facebook so look them up if you are interested, Addison. You may or may not like the design-- I like the looks but don't know if it is what your looking for/if there are design flaws I am overseeing. Hope everything is going well with getting the rear suspension dialed in.

That looks great! Can you snap a picture of the lower portion of the bumper- like the skid plate area?
Does it retain the factory skid or use something else to replace it?

cliffthetundra

And I don't know how I messed up the location so badly, but they are actually based out of Colorado? I took some cold a flu medicine last night and am going to blame it on that.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
That looks great! Can you snap a picture of the lower portion of the bumper- like the skid plate area?
Does it retain the factory skid or use something else to replace it?

Doesn't or can't use factory skid plate or any aftermarket direct fit replacement skids.

They said that they will make a skid for it but as of now they said that if you bash your skid you don't know how to drive. ********. Than why do I even need a bumper.

Benc

Explorer
Doesn't or can't use factory skid plate or any aftermarket direct fit replacement skids.

They said that they will make a skid for it but as of now they said that if you bash your skid you don't know how to drive. ********. Than why do I even need a bumper.

Haha, I thought the same thing,

Addison,
Just sent a pm.

rickashay

Explorer
Great build. Good to see you stuck with mid travel...not that long travel isn't fun, it's just a never ending money endeavor. And mid travel cuts the difference is suspension travel. With UCAs you should be at double digit numbers up front.

Question about the access cab, how would you compare rear seat room to your old 4runner? I know there's more width, is it noticeable? And is the leg room and seat angle/comfort comparable?

Been wanting to move to a double cab tundra but it'd be nice to avoid that extra foot of wheelbase

So far I'm actually really happy with the mid travel, last time i checked I cycled over 10" in the front. For my uses the extra 2.5" of travel isn''t worth the jump in price as well as the increased maintenance levels with an LT truck.

Rear seat room in the AC is basically useless IMO. 4Runner had way more room. The Tundra rear seat back is vertical so it would be awkward for a normal sized person to sit there for longer than a 20 min ride. Basically when I ditched the seats in favor of more organized storage space. Up front for driver/passenger, the Tundra is noticeably more spacious and comfortable.

If you need the cab space head for the DC. LT it, tube/cage the rear, and move the axle forward 20" on the custom frame that you can build from the cab back. Hhaha seriously would be a cool build... I can dream right?

I am unaware if these pictures will show up correctly, but I just wanted to share them as I understand that Addison is still looking for a good looking bumper for Doug. Addicted Offroad, based out of South Carolina, has produced what I beleive to be one of the first good looking bumpers for our trucks to-date! They aren't yet up on their website, but they have posted them on Facebook so look them up if you are interested, Addison. You may or may not like the design-- I like the looks but don't know if it is what your looking for/if there are design flaws I am overseeing. Hope everything is going well with getting the rear suspension dialed in.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for looking out. The Addicted Offroad bumper is really nice. I'm actually a big fan of the "hybrid" type styling and Scotty's seems nice and tight to the front of the truck.

I do have my eyes set else ware at the moment regarding bumpers though. Time will tell and I'm hoping to have something bolted up before the summer is through.

You guys Tundras really make me miss my old '01 Tundra. Great builds!

Thanks for stopping in! I keep checking in on the "Orange Crush". Super nice rig, very interested in some long term feedback on the 3rd Gen Taco.

Addison,
Just sent a pm.

Got it. Thanks Ben!

rickashay

Explorer
UPDATE

I went on a mission to get an inverter installed behind the rear wall of my storage setup. I had to remove the whole system to wire it in. One thing lead to another and my whole storage setup is basically being revamped. Much thanks to my good friend Dave for his efforts as he continues to refine the design. A couple notes for anyone debating following my footsteps with the rear seat removal and installing a storage system:

- I will have photos soon of the actual mounting points to tie everything into the truck. How it all attached will make way more sense when you can see the photos of everything out except for the "backbone" that we built.

- I had some splitting on my IKEA countertops due to us not capping the ends of the floor area to begin with. Driving the truck in dry Alberta and damp BC probably led to a lot of the contraction and expansion of the wood, causing it to split. This has now been rectified.

- In addition to the above, we could see that the front leading edge of my "floor" had actually sagged 1/8" due to lack of bracing. The revamp of the structure now has a sturdy leg system to help alleviate that strain on the actual countertop itself and on the legs instead.

- I was getting some road noise and figured making the top cap fit more snug to the glass should help with road noise reduction. Bought a pretty cool piece of cedar to cap the top of the structure. We are basically making a mantle up there with a small aluminum lip to help hold anything I may store up there from sliding off. It will also look ************ once it's sanded and sealed properly this time around.

- Added piano hinge to the storage cubby door and a Battalion latch. All in an effort to stop the slight rattle I was getting before and make the area more easily accessible.

- Was worried about heat behind the wall where the inverter will be mounted. We cut two 3" holes with an aluminum panel to cover them and installed 2 small electric fans to pull the hot air out from behind the rear wall and keep the inverter cool while it's running.

Should have more details soon on the Archive Garage SFK as well. Prelim results are excellent and I have probably 400kms on the truck now with the flip kit installed. I have a wheeling/camping truck on the books for next week so it will be the true test of how everything works offroad. I expect no issues and am very excited to run a slightly longer shackle to get some more droop out of the system.

Stay tuned.
Addison

rickashay

Explorer
No photos but excited to see the new set up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yah I was more doing a memory dump! haha Should have it all back together tomorrow.

Sorry for the cell phone pics but here are a couple of the backside from today before we rough mounted it again.

Inside the rear wall (backside) - gives you an idea of some of the new items. Switch to flip the dual fans on/off, BlueSea USB port, and the inverter.

IMG_20160422_171508 by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

I grabbed this one quick to show the black mounting rail (1/4" L-Channel) that basically holds the whole system to the truck. How it is fashioned, I do not have to worry about the cargo deck killing me in the unfortunate event of a rollover. Something I hope to avoid obviously but I sure wouldnt want all the lumber and the fridge releasing in an accident and making things worse.

IMG_20160422_171818 by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
Looking great Addison. This has been a good reminder for me to jump on my subwoofer relocation project. I want to mount it in the back side panel with a custom box and cover. The obvious gains would be increased interior storage on the back bench but also increased safety. My box isn't currently secured in any way and would surely go airborne in an accident.

You should glass the passenger rear storage compartment and build a baffle. Have had an infinity 10" sub there for 10 years with no issues and I can still use the rear seat. (For kids of course)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven