*Rickashay's 04' Tundra* - A build of Compromises

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
I'd plasti dip the section below the tail gate (and above the bumper) black. That would look clean. Only reason I said plasti dip is so you could remove it at a later date if you wanted too. Paint would obviously be a more permanent solution.

Bumper is looking tight!
I can't decide if I want plate or rectangular tubing on the sides or if I want tube like yours and Sean's.

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I'd plasti dip the section below the tail gate (and above the bumper) black. That would look clean. Only reason I said plasti dip is so you could remove it at a later date if you wanted too. Paint would obviously be a more permanent solution.

Bumper is looking tight!
I can't decide if I want plate or rectangular tubing on the sides or if I want tube like yours and Sean's.

I like the tube, it ties in well with the sliders IMO.

It's looking good, love the added clearance.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Bumper looks great. If it wasn't for my need for duel swing outs. I would probably have done a similar bumper but even with brute force bumper. It doesn't hang low enough to really be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

photo nomad

Adventurer
JB Discovery Space XXL or the Autohome Columbus Variant (Med - long). I'm 6'6" as mentioned in your thread, so just really trying to get something that fits for length. I like the slimmer profile (width) of the Autohome but the JB seems like it has a lot of nice features and it's more wallet-friendly!

You'll be happy with the James Baroud, I've spent 60 nights in my Evasion and it has been great. Wife won't go back to a ground tent.

Lawn-Dart

Observer
JB Discovery Space XXL or the Autohome Columbus Variant (Med - long). I'm 6'6" as mentioned in your thread, so just really trying to get something that fits for length. I like the slimmer profile (width) of the Autohome but the JB seems like it has a lot of nice features and it's more wallet-friendly!

You'll be happy with the James Baroud, I've spent 60 nights in my Evasion and it has been great. Wife won't go back to a ground tent.

While I love ground tents personally, the Barouds are basically cheating...in the best way possible.

rickashay

Explorer
Hoops all the way. I just think it looks more 'functional' that way. That is my opinion obviously not everyone agrees. But let's be real... these trucks have a fair amount of sheet metal hanging past that rear tire just waiting to get mashed up.

Agreed. I'm just trying to tip-toe the line between actual usage and wants. I really don't rock crawl that much and spend 90% of my time now doing more overland type adventures. Every pound I keep off the truck will ad up and make the whole package more drivable in the end. Just trying to find a balance!

Lol I'm still rocking the donkey ******** exhaust. Bumper is turning out great! I did put my hitch out a little further. When I had my 4 runner I flushed it up like you did but found it difficult to line the hitch pin up without getting under the truck.

Lol, donkey ******** exhaust.... it does look pretty hilarious with the bedsides chopped. We notched those 2 triangle cutouts around the hitch so I could access the hitch pin while keeping it hella-flush!

Bumper is looking tight!

Hybrid ******!

I like the tube, it ties in well with the sliders IMO.

It's looking good, love the added clearance.

Thanks! I agree bumper & armor design needs to flow with the whole vehicle. We were thinking of doing all plate but then looked down the side of the truck and the square/round tubing on the sliders made it a requirement to throw a little tube on the rear bumper.

Bumper looks great. If it wasn't for my need for duel swing outs. I would probably have done a similar bumper but even with brute force bumper. It doesn't hang low enough to really be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My buddy Nick who is doing the fab work has a built/caged 240sx track/drift car. He parked it right under the Tundra. haha Maybe I'm compensating for not bobbing the bed.

If that's not a 'high clearance bumper' i don't know what is.

hahaha hopefully departure is never an issue! Cool to see you over on Expo, I was just checking out some of your trips on t4r. Awesome rig and great photos! I actually need to shoot you a PM... incoming.

While I love ground tents personally, the Barouds are basically cheating...in the best way possible.

Good to hear. My wife is definitely leaning that way, I'm sure I'll like it too!

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
I would do some kind of side hoops for this reason: You are maneuvering an obstacle. The wide Tundra is off camber, the trail is narrow and slick, you slowly give it gas and the back end breaks traction ever so slightly forcing you sideways into a rock. Or tree. A high clearance bumper won't really keep your truck side from getting mashed in an event like that, side hoops will.

rickashay

Explorer
I would do some kind of side hoops for this reason: You are maneuvering an obstacle. The wide Tundra is off camber, the trail is narrow and slick, you slowly give it gas and the back end breaks traction ever so slightly forcing you sideways into a rock. Or tree. A high clearance bumper won't really keep your truck side from getting mashed in an event like that, side hoops will.

My old T4R after sliding into a tree while being off camber on slippery terrain, sliders kept it from being worse as they contacted the tree before it could further push in on the body. Got lucky... dented the B-pillar slightly and just replaced the door. No damage to the roof line was done.

20111120-IMG_0697 by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

20111120-IMG_0699 by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Completely agree with the functional side of them. Your whole truck is essentially at risk on those right trails until you exo-cage it but the more protection the better. If the trip I am debating is a go though, it will be more about long distance and light weight not technical stuff. We'll see though, might do something small and simple. Have to chat with Nick tomorrow when I get back to work on the truck.

rickashay

Explorer
Rear bumper is basically done. Nick is just cleaning it up with the flappy disk and reinforcing the hitch area a bit more. Should be able to pick it up on Friday.

Here is a bad cell phone pic. I'll get some better ones with my real camera once it's painted.

Obligatory cell phone pic. by Addison Rickaby, on Flickr

Decided on small hoops for the bedsides. It's such a large panel of body that I felt like it just needed something. I think it turned out great as it's pretty minimal but definitely something there to protect the bedsides a little. Also notched the bedside to allow the support tube that runs back to the frame to be hidden. It's very stealth like and super stout. Used all factory mounting points and hardware from my OEM hitch which was nice.

- Also picked up some Rally Armor black mudflaps for the truck. Usually seen on Subarus and Evo's, these mud flaps are wicked because of the rubber compound. They will bend, flex, twist all over the place with ease so they can hit logs or rocks without the risk of getting caught and ripping off the truck. I will have to come up with something for the mounts as all my OE mud flap mounts have been cut off (both front and rear).

- Finally picked up my 700lb coils. Interesting though is that the part number on mine is not the same as the Eibach ones that Sean and Jose are running. They are running 700lbx16" length coils. I went through the Gear Shop when I purchased the coils and told them I did not like how much I had to preload the coils to get a very mild ~1" of lift out of it. Again I do not think Fox really did their homework for the Tundra on the coil selection. The Gear Shop spoke with Fox repeatedly on my behalf and they brought in a Fox (branded - still probably made by Eibach?) 700lb x 18" coil. I will admit I am slightly worried that it won't work given the 16" length that everyone else is running. I am thinking though that I should be able to install the coils and literally not preload them at all, while achieving 1-1.5" of lift - which is my goal. Worst case scenario I will just return them and order the same part # and specs that everyone else is running with good success.

- I also should note that anyone thinking of running this setup should consider - if you want to run the spindle gussets (Total Chaos) you may rub the coil bucket at full compression. My spindle gussets actually hit my buckets when I am at full bump. It is very minimal and it self-clearanced without me even noticing. I cycled the suspension fully and it never hit but I think with the weight of the truck on it and everything actually functioning in the real world, the upper bucket may flex slightly, causing the rub that I could not detect while cycling the suspension. Total Chaos coil bucket supports are being installed this month to help strengthen the area.

tyv12

Adventurer
You'll love love the 700s way better to have zero preload more responsive and looks way better imo

theBullfrog125

Adventurer
I think I'm going to use your bumper design to base mine off of. I really like the look of it. I have a few details in mind I'd like to do differently.
Props!

Shradicalwyo

Adventurer
Bumper looks great!

Good call on the Rally Armor mud flaps, I had a set on my old Audi and they held up through some pretty bad conditions and abuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven