Roam About with "Big Hank"

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Man those eagle shots are awesome. I love the first one on this page. Did you try sharpening the last shot in PS? I have been lurking here but decided to comment.

Thanks. I tried sharpening somewhat in Lightroom but I took this really late one evening when it was almost dark so I had to really push the ISO setting, thus the noise in the picture. In this case it is what it is.....great subject matter but a not so great photographer. I really love photography but am second rate amateur at best. I met a wildlife photographer at the library in Haines while there that was from Germany and his pictures were unbelievable. He was however shooting with a zoom lens that sells for about $12,000 and his camera body went for about $6,000. Oh yea, he had a back up of each in the event he had a problem with one. Mine didn't cost quite that much and my back up is a $150 clapped out point and shoot.

Shot some more bear pics on the last morning in heavy fog to wrap up the Haines experience.

HainesNexWorked-6-XL.jpg

HainesNexWorked-7-XL.jpg

Ferry rolled in late that afternoon along with the fog. Rode on and got set up on the observation deck. You can get a berth, for a price, or choose to sleep on the recliners provided on the open deck. It's covered on three sides and has heat lamps above. If you've got a good bag it's really the way to go. With the heat lamps you don't get cold at all even if you're just sitting around and not in the bag. Staying here you also tend to meet a lot of differnt people. Was a great experience and I'd go this route again if not wanting to ride back down. I talked to a few on the boat who had taken the ferry up from Washington and now were taking it back down. Not sure I'd do that as you miss a lot by not making the drive up but to each his own. I grab a recliner, spread my stuff out, and roamed around the ship to get the lay of things. They have a bar, movie theater, cafeteria, formal style dining area, hot showers, small gift shop and comfortable seating areas throughout the ship. I made use of all of them throughout the float.

Ferry....

HainesPansonic-38-XL.jpg

Covered deck area with heat lamps above. Couple of people set up tents but really didn't see the need unless you really wanted some privacy.

PJK_1176-XL.jpg

HainesPansonic-39-XL.jpg

HainesPansonic-42-XL.jpg

HainesPansonic-41-XL.jpg

Met a guy in his 40's who had ridden his bike up from Argentenia to Deadhorse, Alaska and was now headed back down. Was going to Washington via the ferry and then riding it back to Argentenia. This is his ride............a Yamaha 125 loaded to the hilt. Who says you need a fancy overland rig or big bike to do epic trips. He was telling me he'd been over some high passes on the trip where he'd have to get off the bike, leave it in first gear and run alongside of it to get over the pass.

HainesPansonic-46-XL.jpg

The inland passage is just beautiful and I'm glad I took the ferry back down. Trip overall was a great experience. Two months in the truck/camper and then another month off of the bike. Not a bad way to spend the summer. I got back into Tacoma and took one more two week trip in the camper with the bike in tow down to Oregon and the Hells Canyon area in October. If any interest I may just keep the report going until I complete that two weeks as well. Will be heading down to Baja in February and hope to attend the Overland Expo shindig in Flagstaff come May so I'll be back on the road real soon. If you see my rig (pic on first page of this report) motoring along somewhere be sure and say hello.

Last shot taken on the inland passage near Ketchikan. I know I enjoy others reports here on the forum and hope some of you have gotten something out of this one. Thanks for coming along and if you haven't been up north then make it a priority.

Haines5Star-42-XL.jpg

Remember.......

10403504_10205883021861128_6994077541541022519_n-XL.jpg

Hey Park......keep on posting.......I for one enjoy your stories, your writing style and love your pictures. Sometimes you just get bored sitting around the house so this stuff makes for an excellent distraction from the boredom. I'm headed for the Himalayas in March and when I return I'll be back on the road no later than June first. It'd be interesting to cross paths with you one day this summer and maybe hang out a little. My plan is to visit friends in Wyoming & Montana, and then head north to Alaska. Thanks again for posting up......great stuff.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Hey Park......keep on posting.......I for one enjoy your stories, your writing style and love your pictures. Sometimes you just get bored sitting around the house so this stuff makes for an excellent distraction from the boredom. I'm headed for the Himalayas in March and when I return I'll be back on the road no later than June first. It'd be interesting to cross paths with you one day this summer and maybe hang out a little. My plan is to visit friends in Wyoming & Montana, and then head north to Alaska. Thanks again for posting up......great stuff.

Envy that trip. Another place on the bucket list, Himalayas. Friend of mine went over a few years ago and stated that it was by far the best trip she'd ever done.... and she's done quite a few of them over the years. Be sure and post up some pics and writings of your travels as I'm sure there are many who would like to follow along. If you head up this way on your way north in June be sure and shoot me an email. Would be great to get together.

java

Expedition Leader
Please keep it going with the last two weeks! I'm riding vicariously through you. My bike isn't road legal.....

chet6.7

Explorer
Keep it going,Baja sounds interesting too.
The area under the lamps was full,I slept on the fantail with a tarp for the rain.
I like that last picture with the bear and seagulls,it captures the wet and gray...I can feel the rain and the wind,smell the salmon carcasses the bears have left behind.
To anyone reading this,the Inland Passage is a trip you won't regret.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Guess I'll just keep this report going since I went on another roam about after returning from Alaska and will be departing for Baja soon. I've been working quite a bit since I got back and even worked as a driver helper for UPS during the month of December. I've got a new found respect for UPS drivers. Those guys work their asses off based on what I did during that month. You crawl in and out of that truck over 200 times a day schlepping boxes up step/long driveways in the cold, rain and I can assure you, you feel it at the end of the day. Probably should have known better after sitting in the orientation briefing after being hired. I was the oldest there by a long shot.

A group of friends were meeting down at Summer Lake Hot Springs for some camping, beer drinking and some riding. Figured I'd take the camper and bike, go down for a few days and then work my way back to Tacoma via the Hells Canyon area. If you haven't been to Summer Lake it's worth a stop over on your next trip through central Oregon. A commercial spring but rustic and in a nice setting with primitive sites if you want to be away from the full hook up sites. Even has some nice cabins to rent as well.

Old building which contains the main spring. Also has some outdoor tubs as well.

Summer%20Lake%20w-Max-14-XL.jpg

Summer%20Lake%20w-Max-37-XL.jpg

Hung out with friends and did some dual sporing in the surrounding area outside of Paisley, Oregon.

BDS-Hells%20Canyon-6-XL.jpg

BDS-Hells%20Canyon-16-XL.jpg

Central Oregon....

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%283%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

After three nights in Summer Lake took off for northern Nevada and the Sheldon Wildlife Reserve.

Shadow selfie en-route.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%287%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Spent the day just screwing off driving over to the Sheldon Reserve in Nevada.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%286%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%284%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Nice sunset as I entered Nevada.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%288%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Camp for the night next to the hot spring. Also have a shower house next to the spring wherein water is supplied from the hot spring. Free camping as well.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2812%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Some wildlife near camp the following morning....

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2816%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Another spring in the early morning fog.....

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2811%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

FreeRangeFJ

Observer
I appreciate your straight forward manner of speaking and the spectacular photography. Keep it coming, I'm living vicariously through you until things thaw out in the spring, lol.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
I appreciate your straight forward manner of speaking and the spectacular photography. Keep it coming, I'm living vicariously through you until things thaw out in the spring, lol.

Funny how some like more pics and less verbage and others want a book written. Guy sent me an email wanting me to go into more detail on where each picture was taken, what time, circumstances surrounding, f/stop and aperture setting, etc., etc. I love to read reports on here but I don't need that much information nor do I have the time or memory to remember all that crap. I keep telling myself to keep some kind of journal as to exactly where I'm at when the pic was taken. Hell, the following day I'm racking my feeble mind as to exactly where it was taken. I think I'm going to start that.....next time. Usually if someone can give me some basic background information and some pics in their report, I'm a happy camper. Glad you're following along and like the style, such as it is. Anything to help while you await the thaw.

Old homestead in Idaho heading north

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2827%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Made my way up into the Payette National Forest area where I started looking for some stealth camping. Started down some small paved roads but had been told by a rancher when I left pavement I would eventually be on public land. Light was fading and the road kept getting a little worse and I wasn't sure if I was on public land or not. Finally came across a flat area with a water trough where there was some level ground so called it a night. It didn't look like private land, whatever the hell that looks like, and I hadn't seen any no trespassing signs for over a couple of miles so this was it. Figured I was far enough back in where no one would be coming along in the night as the road wasn't that great and it was almost dark anyway.

Road I was on looking for a spot to camp. Pretty drive but not much of a road pulling the trailer.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2828%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Spot for the night.....

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2829%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

I had come in about 5 miles at this point from pavement and really didn't want to backtrack. Planned on unloading the bike the following morning and continue down the road to see if it popped out back on pavement. I figured it would eventually but wanted to make sure it didn't dead end and if not, could I get through with the truck/trailer. Next morning when I'm getting ready to unload the bike I see this guy coming down a ridge line. He comes into camp and I ask him about the road and If I can get through and not backtrack. He looks at my rig and says I should be able to get through. States that it narrows down quite a bit in places due to trees and that I might end up scratching the truck a little but I'd get through. Don't really care about a few scratches so left the bike in the trailer and took his word for it. Big mistake! Would have been more than a few scratches in places. About another 1/2 mile and the road really narrowed down. I ended up having to break out the saw and start hacking at limbs/branches to get through. No where to really turn around so I was committed. Should have turned around from where I was camped and backtracked. Would have been much quicker.

P1030308-XL.jpg

Let the hacking begin. Wasn't bad here but some big ponderosa pines came into play about a mile down the road and required some trimming. Turned into a two track where it was a tight fit in between the pines with no go around in places. Plus I got that damn sticky pine sap all over me handling some of the cut branches. The inhumanity of it all!

P1030309-XL.jpg

Road got worse as the morning progressed.

P1030313-XL.jpg

Popped back out after a few miles and headed north to the Hells Canyon area. Rolled into Copperfield down in Hells Canyon. Got a site along the river and unloaded the bike to ride upriver to the dam and then up Kleinschmidt grade road towards a little town called Cuprum. Idaho Power runs the campgrounds down along the river and they do a real nice job of maintaining them. Was going to stealth camp up on the grade but couldn't resist the hot shower.

View from campsite along the Snake River.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2835%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Unloaded the bike after getting camp set up and rode along the river and up the grade.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2831%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2832%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Someone had a pet that was dearly loved. Always makes me sad when I run across spots like this as it reminds me of dogs I've lost over the years.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2834%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Explored some side roads and two track outside of the little community of Condrum up on the grade.

P1030326-XL.jpg

Some wild turkeys. Saw a nice sized black later but he was making tracks for the nearest treeline I and couldn't get any pics.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2836%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Headed back to camp as I was starting to lose light. Down here in the canyon you lose the sun pretty quick in the evening. Got back to camp and one of the sites had taken a bear upriver earlier in the day and were skinning him out.

P1030314-XL.jpg

P1030320-XL.jpg

Quiet evening along the river and headed out the following morning further up the canyon to find some stealth camping and to ride into Dugs Bar Landing the following day.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2837%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

parkkitchings

Adventurer
Moved the following morning and headed north of the little town of Imnaha for some stealth camping and to ride down to Doug's Bar landing on the snake.

One store town with a post office. No gas!

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2862%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2863%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Drove up the canyon for about 10 miles outside of Imnaha and just found a wide area to pull off and set up for the night. Plan was to unload the bike here and ride the remaining 25 miles or so into Dug Bar Landing on the Snake River.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2859%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Some pics of the ride in.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2853%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

P1030342-XL.jpg

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2856%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

P1030344-XL.jpg

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2861%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Ran up on these guys and spent a couple of hours trying to get the shot but they just wouldn't cooperate. Kept walking ridge lines trying to get close with the right lighting but it didn't happen. Was a lot of walking in some rocky terrain in riding boots. This was about the best I could get. Poor focusing and really harsh lighting. Excuses, excuses!

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2855%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2854%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2857%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2858%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

After chasing these guys for a large part of the afternoon I finally gave up and rode back to the camper. Great views for dinner and a quiet night.

parkkitchings

Adventurer
After spending two nites down in the canyon decided to head out and drive north towards Joseph. One of the workers for Idaho Power who hunts and fishes the area told me to take Hwy 39 which winds up thru the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest. It is a really nice back country road with lots of side areas to explore. I had never been on it before and couldn't understand why. You could spend days between Copperfield and Joseph checking things out. Spent all day getting to Joseph. Stopped up top and unloaded the bike where I rode some of the FS roads for a few hours. Previous night they had gotten a dusting of snow up top and the dirt was great with zero dust.

Some shots taken on the drive/ride into Joseph....

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2842%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2841%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2843%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Figured I'd find some forest service land to just pull over for the night. Weather was moving in so I wanted to drop down in the valley in hopes of a little warmer temps. Last two nights they had gotten some snow up higher and didn't want to deal with that.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2849%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Rolled into Joseph for some gas and grub.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2866%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Met a nice lady working at the grill who told me I could drive back out of town up towards Ferguson ridge behind the little ski hill and camp up at the trailhead. Said this time of the year I'd have it all to myself. Also made a new friend in Joseph.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2851%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Headed back out of town towards Ferguson Ridge. Shot of the little local hill.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2864%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Joseph is a nice little town with beautiful scenery.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2865%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Stayed here for the night and didn't see another vehicle or party. It's on a dead end road about 8 or 9 miles outside of town. Was a little higher than I wanted and the temps got down a little early the next morning.

P1030334-XL.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
Thanks as always!

I see your back in Tacoma, if you ever around seattle, let me know!!

shays4me

Willing Wanderer
After spending two nites down in the canyon decided to head out and drive north towards Joseph. One of the workers for Idaho Power who hunts and fishes the area told me to take Hwy 39 which winds up thru the Wallowa-Whitman National Forest. It is a really nice back country road with lots of side areas to explore. I had never been on it before and couldn't understand why. You could spend days between Copperfield and Joseph checking things out. Spent all day getting to Joseph. Stopped up top and unloaded the bike where I rode some of the FS roads for a few hours. Previous night they had gotten a dusting of snow up top and the dirt was great with zero dust.

Some shots taken on the drive/ride into Joseph....

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2842%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2841%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2843%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Figured I'd find some forest service land to just pull over for the night. Weather was moving in so I wanted to drop down in the valley in hopes of a little warmer temps. Last two nights they had gotten some snow up higher and didn't want to deal with that.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2849%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Rolled into Joseph for some gas and grub.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2866%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Met a nice lady working at the grill who told me I could drive back out of town up towards Ferguson ridge behind the little ski hill and camp up at the trailhead. Said this time of the year I'd have it all to myself. Also made a new friend in Joseph.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2851%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Headed back out of town towards Ferguson Ridge. Shot of the little local hill.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2864%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Joseph is a nice little town with beautiful scenery.

BDS%20Final%20Edit%20%2865%20of%2078%29-XL.jpg

Stayed here for the night and didn't see another vehicle or party. It's on a dead end road about 8 or 9 miles outside of town. Was a little higher than I wanted and the temps got down a little early the next morning.

P1030334-XL.jpg

Wallowa County rivals any place in the world for scenery. I was born there and I sure wish I could live there now. California discovered it and the land values have been on the climb ever since. Native families have been mostly pushed out now due to the property values and the spotted owl farce. It's a little slice of heaven though........................

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach