Samsung Galaxy Tab 2

Topher1044

Observer
Ive got a 10.1 that I use with BN Nav, I have it on my Note 2 as well. Used the tab for nav the first time today. I paid for the Accuterra maps ($29), there are great maps. Lots of details, road and trails.

Downloaded the area we were traveling to last night. I never lost signal, the tracking was pretty accurate. My Samsung Infuse was horrible, bad antenna and unreliable in the woods. I love my phablet and tabs though.

Now to find a sturdy mount for both...

I literally have the exact same two devices (Note 10.1/Note 2). Did you ever find one? I've got a random adjustable suction cup mount that snugly fits the Note 2 that I found in my dad's garage when I needed a mount for my phone in my old truck roughly 8 years ago, so who knows how old it actually is. It works for now, and my main focus is finding a good mount for the tablet.

Falkon

Adventurer
Topher, I bought an IBOLT through amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AOCSFYC for my Note 2.

I really like it, its very sturdy, even bouncing around off road, no wiggle. It will hold my Note 2 with an otterbox defender. The changing cable opens up some docking options. I am still surprised at the strength and ease of mounting on the windshield.

They are just getting these out, I pre-ordered mine and they have been good about communication. Buy with confidence. There offices are right outside of Zion NP, and I love that area.

I have not found or had the time to find one for the tab yet, as that is mostly my wife's and the kids!

- Chris

I'm in the market for a tablet, I'm an Android fan and like what I see of the Samsung offerings. What are the pros and cons and differences between the Tab 2 and Note tablets? Do they all have an internal GPS?

Falkon

Adventurer
The tab comes in 7 & 10 inch tablets. The note is a 5.5" phone. All 3 have gps and function pretty much identically. The antenna on these are great and much better than my previous Samsung phone.

Backcountry Navigator works great on my note and tab.

- Chris

Topher1044

Observer
I'm in the market for a tablet, I'm an Android fan and like what I see of the Samsung offerings. What are the pros and cons and differences between the Tab 2 and Note tablets? Do they all have an internal GPS?

It truly depends on your application. The Note 10.1 is a great device, but you might only need a 7" tab 2.

All of them have GPS, but my experience is only with the Note 10.1 or the Note 2 Phablet.

Topher1044

Observer
Topher, I bought an IBOLT through amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00AOCSFYC for my Note 2.

I really like it, its very sturdy, even bouncing around off road, no wiggle. It will hold my Note 2 with an otterbox defender. The changing cable opens up some docking options. I am still surprised at the strength and ease of mounting on the windshield.

They are just getting these out, I pre-ordered mine and they have been good about communication. Buy with confidence. There offices are right outside of Zion NP, and I love that area.

I have not found or had the time to find one for the tab yet, as that is mostly my wife's and the kids!

- Chris

I surprisingly haven't needed a car charger, but I got it a little over a month ago, and haven't taken it really off my usual treks. Intermittent GPS, streaming Spotify, and then all day in the office with calls/emails/etc. I'm actually shocked with the battery life, and of course all of the functionality.

Topher1044

Observer
Thanks for the feedback on my Samsung questions! I'm going to upgrade my phone to a Note II or buy a tablet, not sure which yet.

I would recommend getting the Note 2 first and see if you truly need a tablet as a second device. If I didn't use my tablet as much as I do for work I probably wouldn't need both.

Using the Note 10.1 as a universal remote is a nice benefit at home though.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I've had a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 since last June or so. I like it a lot. It has a couple of advantages over other devices that people don't usually mention...

It supports USB host mode so you can copy photos from your camera (or whatever else you connect) to a large microSD card plugged into the tablet. This is the primary reason I bought this model.

The speakers are both on one end which is good for Skype (you turn the device upside down) and hold it like a rather unwieldy phone but less good for watching movies.

Samsung pushes the latest and greatest Android to you. Mine came with ICS and now has JellyBean.

Generally I think this is a great device for travel: its useful for email, web, books, photo backup. The only real problem I've found which isn't specific to this model is reading books usually requires a lot of display back lighting to counter reflections.

Topher1044

Observer
I've had a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 since last June or so. I like it a lot. It has a couple of advantages over other devices that people don't usually mention...

It supports USB host mode so you can copy photos from your camera (or whatever else you connect) to a large microSD card plugged into the tablet. This is the primary reason I bought this model.

The speakers are both on one end which is good for Skype (you turn the device upside down) and hold it like a rather unwieldy phone but less good for watching movies.

Samsung pushes the latest and greatest Android to you. Mine came with ICS and now has JellyBean.

Generally I think this is a great device for travel: its useful for email, web, books, photo backup. The only real problem I've found which isn't specific to this model is reading books usually requires a lot of display back lighting to counter reflections.

The Note 10.1 has most of what you described above (hate that it didn't come with a USB direct port and need a special cable to get that functionality).

As far as speakers for Skype (and in general), Samsung did it right with this one by putting 2 speakers ON THE FRONT (what a novel concept, and wish they would have figured out how to do the same with the Note II phone). The Wacom S-Pen with compatible screen that can interpret 1,024 degrees of pressure(Great if you use it, a novelty if you don't), it comes with a quad core processor, split screen/pop up abilities built in (another novel concept), and the IR with Peel Remote app pre-installed is surprisingly easy to set up as a whole home Universal Remote.

The screen for me has been great even outdoors, but your results may vary.

Last edited:

paddlenbike

Adventurer
Finally found a Tab2 mount I really like.
DSC_0024.JPG

DSC_0025.JPG

Everything is Pro-clip brand and made specifically for the 3rd gen 4runner and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2. This device is the perfect size for nav.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Interesting. It looks like they make one for my Trooper, too.

I wonder if you'll miss the AC output of that vent that it blocks...and I'm a little leery of the strength of the self-tapping screws into the plastic mount for bouncing down a washboard dirt road. Hmmm.

Thanks for the post and pics.

paddlenbike

Adventurer
I've had the attachment that covers the vent in place for about six years now (I used to have a PDA/GPS mounted there), and there is plenty of airflow from the other vents to make it a non-issue. The mount is very rigid, more-so than my last setup, and it even it survived plenty of Death Valley trips.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach