Scott B.'s Little Guy Offroad Teardrop Build

mjmcdowell

Explorer
Your TD.....

Just as I suspected......your build is....... "Bomber"!! (new word in this old guy's vocabulary) now I really can't to see it! You have some "Mad Skills" ( another new word) but would expect nothing else from you after seeing the Range re-power project in person :Wow1: Michael

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Just as I suspected......your build is....... "Bomber"!! (new word in this old guy's vocabulary) now I really can't to see it! You have some "Mad Skills" ( another new word) but would expect nothing else from you after seeing the Range re-power project in person :Wow1: Michael

Thank you.

I am anxious to get it finished and drag it out to the desert!

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
More work on the stove pull-out.

Varnished.

var1.jpg

var2.jpg

Marking the stove base for the lazy susan attachment holes.

var3.jpg

Test fitting

Storage position:

var4.jpg

Out:

var5.jpg

Swiveled:

var6.jpg

var7.jpg

It works!

I need to bolt it up permanently - I ran out of light tonight.

I am also going to remove the handle from the front of the stove. It just drags on the pull-out, and I don't need it.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Looks good! What're you doing for propane? Tank mounted on the fender or side of trailer?

The current plan is to use 1 lb. bottles. The drawer underneath the stove (to be built) will hold them.

I plan to build some skids/sliders (not sure what they are called) as wide as the fenders to protect the sides and rear of the trailer. Once I do that, I will consider mounting a tank on the side of the trailer. I'm a little leery mounting a tank to the side with no real protection.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Auxillary 12V Wiring

Since I don't have a battery on the trailer, I needed a way to power the trailer from the 2nd battery in the truck, rather than the main battery (through the 7-pin connector.)

Little Guy ran their normal battery wire from the forward battery location to the terminal block (located in the trailer body.) Here, you can see the ground and +12 (with the fuse holder.)

Wiring1.jpg

I decided to use this wire, and change the end to a quick-disconnect.

Wiring2.jpg

I added a similar connection on my truck, originating at the 2nd battery.

Wiring3.jpg

Wiring4.jpg

I kept both the truck harness connector and the trailer harness connector short - too short to attach when the trailer is connected to the truck. I want to ensure that only one of the connectors will be connected at a time. No harm will occur if both are attached, but my batteries will then not be isolated.

I have a 20' extension that goes between the vehicles. Another advantage here is the trailer does not need to be attached to the truck to have power.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Curious as to why you wanted it to swivel to the side?

To make better use of space. We will be able to get to the counter above the stove when cooking.

The idea came to me when we were laying out the drawer design - we mocked it up, and it felt right.

And, maybe to be a little different...

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I am building the top and bottom drawers (for the left side.)

Construction is the same as the stove slide.

The top drawer is not very deep (front to back) due to the curvature of the rear hatch. It looks to be plenty big for utensils and the like.

Drawers.jpg

I am in the process of building fixed dividers in the lower drawer. I should be finished this weekend.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I finished the top drawer today. Though it is a little small, it fits really nice above the stove. It should be sized right for holding utensils and such.

Drawer1.jpg

Drawer2.jpg

And with the stove in place:

Drawer3.jpg

Drawer4.jpg

I built some dividers for the bottom drawer to hold propane.

Drawer5.jpg

Drawer6.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I fit the bottom drawer today. If you look close and the bottom edge, you will see where I had to make an allowance for the footman loop on the floor of the TD.

Drawer1.jpg

Drawer2.jpg

Drawer3.jpg

All that remains is to varnish the drawer and decide whether or to add drawer fronts - and if so, what will they look like.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
I installed the pump in the Scepter water can lid.

Original lid:

WaterLid1.jpg

Spout cut off:

WaterLid2.jpg

Hole bored:

WaterLid3.jpg

Pump installed:

WaterLid4.jpg

Now to figure out how to mount it in the back of the TD...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk