seanpistol's 01 Tundra

rickashay

Explorer
You can still paint in the cold, but it just takes dramatically longer to cure. Maybe just try and get a couple coats of primer on it to get you home and find a heated garage? Or paint/coat it with Fluid Film to deter rust until you get home, then clean it up and paint it then....

seanpistol

Explorer
Bolted the bumper back up today. Lined up the tube where I wanted it and drew a line on top of it with a grease pencil. Didn't cut off a ton, more like trimmed the fat.

Bedside hack-

Tube tacked on -

The other side-

Support for the round tube tacked in place. I like how you can see the daylight between the tube and bedside-

And she's all done!

I gained 8" of ground clearance and tucked it in about 5" closer than the stock bumper. My departure angle should be drastically improved, and there is no doubt that this bumper is much more stout than the stock one. I'll weigh it tomorrow, but I'd expect it to be slightly less than the stock bumper/hitch. Super happy with how it turned out.

Last edited:

rickashay

Explorer
Looks awesome! Can't wait to see it painted. I just can't believe how much better the side profile of the truck is once you trim that rear end at more of an angle! Love it man, great job!

seanpistol

Explorer
Thank you!

I agree with ya that the side profile is 100x more visually appealing trimmed like that. I've been wanting to do this since I've had the truck, glad I finally got around to it. Can't wait to go test it out through some obstacles I'd always scrape the old setup on.

Dug up this photo from the second page for a side-by-side

Last edited:

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I love how simple and effective it is. This is exactly what I've been contemplating only with all tube. Great job man! Do you think you could have trimmed the flare and kept it?

seanpistol

Explorer
Yes, it would have been super easy to trim and keep the flare!

I ordered a pack of the flare snaps and the neoprene washers so I won't have ghetto holes too much longer

Last edited:

TwoTrack

Buy Once, Cry Once
I love it, you did a great job! Have you thought about adding some tabs for shackles or lights? Thoughts on license plate?

seanpistol

Explorer
Thank you!

I have a shackle hitch receiver that I will leave in with a locking pin. I didn't personally see the need to have a spot to mount a clevis a foot on either side of the receiver. Instead of reverse lights, I have a rear view camera on a license plate frame that plugs right into my head unit!

License plate is just going to be mounted off center. I have LED bolts for illumination!

I definitely contemplated every option possible. Using 3/16" plate for quarter panel protection and cutting the bedsides perpendicular to the ground, tapering the sides of my 2x6" box tube, integrating backup lights, using 2x4" box tube to make it smaller yet and putting the plate on a hinge, adding a swingout... in the end, I decided to KISS!

seanpistol

Explorer
Got my bumper on the scale today- 79 lbs! Stock hitch and bumper were 110lbs together!

The local powdercoater I've used for snowmobile parts said he'd hook me up with a military and cash discount on my bumper... $135 including the sandblasting. I'm going to go that route. Dropping it off Friday, and then heading to Germany for two weeks for work- it'll be ready to pick up when I return!

Last edited:

tyv12

Adventurer
Powder coating costs in Canada are insane so that's amazing, I got quoted over $400 just to powder coat my sliders...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seanpistol

Explorer
When you're ready to make a 2nd one, let me know. :sombrero:

If only I had my own plasma cutter... maybe someday I'll suck it up and buy one.

Powder coating costs in Canada are insane so that's amazing, I got quoted over $400 just to powder coat my sliders...

That's nuts! I wonder what would make the cost so high across the border?

I saw this and thought... trimmed bedsides are a thing of beauty!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater